Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Lauzon Relishing Role of Underdog, Unapologetic About Aggressive Style

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Feb 20, 2012 - Ask Joe Lauzon about the last time he was the favorite in a big fight and you'd probably be met with silence. At least, if it did happen, he doesn't remember.

Somehow, after thundering through eight stoppage wins in over half a decade with the UFC, Lauzon remains the quintessential underdog. A congenial assassin trapped in a computer technician's frame. So ask him about facing Anthony Pettis as a 2-to-1 dog at UFC 144, and he'll tell you, any other way just wouldn't be his style.

"I like flying under the radar," Lauzon said to Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour. "I'm not really the guy that's looking to get all kinds of respect and appreciation, and all that kind of stuff. I like to go and have good fights. I like to have exciting fights. I have no problem being the underdog."

LINK

Post #1   2/21/12 9:29:01AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:575-373
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I predict a Lauzon 1st round sub.

Post #2   2/21/12 3:59:47PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Lauzon is awesome. I'm digging this fight more than Edgar/Henderson.

Post #3   2/21/12 4:31:17PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
I want Lauzon to win, he's my favorite LW but his cardio will be his downfall in these big fights.

Post #4   2/21/12 7:44:07PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I mean, he doesn't need to apologize to anyone, because it only has a negative impact on himself. It's an exciting style, but if he wants to have the longest and healthiest career possible, or become a champion, etc. he can't do it being a first round fighter. I think he has hit his ceiling with his current style of fighting, the top tier guys more often than not are going to weather the storm and put him away in the later rounds or take an easy decision victory.

As a fan, it's great to see a fighter who just goes all out and blitzes his opponents, but for him, for his career, it's probably not the smartest way he could approach a fight.

Post #5   2/21/12 10:22:06PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I mean, he doesn't need to apologize to anyone, because it only has a negative impact on himself. It's an exciting style, but if he wants to have the longest and healthiest career possible, or become a champion, etc. he can't do it being a first round fighter. I think he has hit his ceiling with his current style of fighting, the top tier guys more often than not are going to weather the storm and put him away in the later rounds or take an easy decision victory.

As a fan, it's great to see a fighter who just goes all out and blitzes his opponents, but for him, for his career, it's probably not the smartest way he could approach a fight.

smartest way to approach a paycheck if you know you cant hang with the big boys.

Post #6   2/22/12 12:15:54PM