Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage Jackson: 'Biased' Joe Rogan plays the rusty trombone for BJJ fighters

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
"You know he's got good jiu-jitsu because he's so biased against jiu-jitsu guys. You can hear it in his voice. Whenever a guy is a jiu-jitsu fighter he's playing rusty trombone. I don't think you should talk down, you should be neutral. When I used to fight in PRIDE, watch Bas Rutten and Stephen Quadros on commentary. Those guys were my good friends and you couldn't even tell when they were doing commentary. We hung out outside of work sometimes, we were good friends but when I fought they weren't biased towards me. They did their job. They weren't biased towards skills or anything like that. That's the way it should be. Sometimes you can hear him because Joe Rogan has one of those girly high-ass voices. I just wanna tell him to shut the fuck up sometimes."

Link

Link to video

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/20/12 1:53:30PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Though I don't disagree, I will say that Quinton is just as bad by getting butthurt whenever fighters/commentators/fans don't swing from his sack and worship the ground he walks on.

Post #2   2/20/12 1:58:33PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Though I don't disagree, I will say that Quinton is just as bad by getting butthurt whenever fighters/commentators/fans don't swing from his sack and worship the ground he walks on.

Yup, but I also can't really find a way to disagree with him on this.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   2/20/12 2:03:49PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
He's right, Joe is way too open about his critisizing opinions. I get that it's his job and all to be critical and commentate but the bias he shows for certain styles and certain fighters shows. He did grill Rampage quite a bit in his fight with Jones and it's like what do you want him to do? leg kick Jon Jones so he gets taken down easier than he normally would? he had to try and knock Jones out because shooting on Jones would've been ridiculous too.

Post #4   2/20/12 2:08:19PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
to be honest, i get more tired of rampage's whining than i do rogan's commentary. just keep playing your violin rampage, and let rogan play his trombone.

Post #5   2/20/12 2:09:37PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

to be honest, i get more tired of rampage's whining than i do rogan's commentary. just keep playing your violin rampage, and let rogan play his trombone.

So because Rampage was critisizing someone who critisizes and commentates other fighters for a living on national television that makes Rampage a whiner who plays the violin? So is joe playing the vio-bone then when he commentates?

Post #6   2/20/12 2:13:39PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

Posted by tcunningham

So because Rampage was critisizing someone who critisizes and commentates other fighters for a living on national television that makes Rampage a whiner who plays the violin? So is joe playing the vio-bone then when he commentates?

Yeah kinda... Joe is clearly biased from time to time and he adds other aspects to his commentary that is unnecessary, but sometimes his insight will come off as an insult. Was he wrong when he said Struve needed to incorporate that jab? Sometimes constructive criticism is hard to take, especially for guys with huge egos. That doesn't mean Rogan has never been out of line, but Rampage seems to always have something to complain about (spies, acting instead of fighting, nobody wants to fight me for real).
And I'll go ahead and say I'm biased too, but I think it's good for someone to be on the jitsu guys nuts. It isn't necessarily a dying art, but the influx of wrestlers outweighs the number of jitsu practitioners by a good margin. Having someone over analyze and praise the guys who are working off their back helps to recognize not only where the sport came from but also to point out that being on top doesn't always mean you are dominant. But like I said, being a jitz guy I am going to be biased as well.

Last edited 2/20/12 2:51PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   2/20/12 2:38:29PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Chips:
Joe's always been that way. Demian Maia could go three rounds using nothing but his striking and Joe would still talk about Maia's BJJ the whole time.

EDIT: Joe also used to be very biased toward Penn until his run in with Edgar.

Last edited 2/20/12 2:46PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   2/20/12 2:44:36PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I would love it if Bas would come and do commentary full time for the UFC. Im over Rogan, he's just as biased as Troy Aikman commentating during a Cowboys game.

Post #9   2/20/12 3:06:42PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,253-1,327
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
If it was up to Joe, Pat Curran and Robert Drysdale would be champs of all the divisions. JJ is still only a fraction of what MMA is.

Post #10   2/20/12 3:11:28PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,642-1,635
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I didn't know Joe was a musician.

Post #11   2/20/12 3:20:03PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I don't think Joe is so much bias towards BJJ, I think he just gets fired up about certain fighter's performances, and tends to focus his commentary on them. He is a passionate guy, and he wears it on his sleeve while commentating. Not saying I necessarily favor this approach all the time, as it can become irritating.

Post #12   2/20/12 4:09:43PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
brass polish prevents rust

Post #13   2/20/12 4:11:45PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,511-866
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I would love it if Bas would come and do commentary full time for the UFC. Im over Rogan, he's just as biased as Troy Aikman commentating during a Cowboys game.

Posted by Cooler

He's right, Joe is way too open about his critisizing opinions. I get that it's his job and all to be critical and commentate but the bias he shows for certain styles and certain fighters shows. He did grill Rampage quite a bit in his fight with Jones and it's like what do you want him to do? leg kick Jon Jones so he gets taken down easier than he normally would? he had to try and knock Jones out because shooting on Jones would've been ridiculous too.

Post #14   2/20/12 4:15:32PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rampage is predictable in my opinion and is getting on in his career, he like all mma stars should mix up the game to set things up.

Post #15   2/20/12 4:34:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2