Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

weight training ...

Print  
Posted By Message

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
Hey guys, Diego Sanchez recently said in an interview that he will be dropping back down to fight at 155 as fighting at 170 he said he needs to do a lot of weight training. I want to know for my own use, would weight training increase body size or muscle strength or what ? I have to eat a hell of a lot of calories to maintain my 135 frame. If i was to lift weights too, would it make me lose weight rather than gain size ?

Cheers.

Post #1   2/19/12 7:24:20PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
it depends on what type of weight training you choose to do. you can conceivably lift weights and not gain size/weight. it all about how you eat and how often you lift.

Post #2   2/19/12 7:41:18PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
weight training can make you bigger and stronger, but it really makes a difference of what kind of training you do. low reps high weight can get you bigger, lower weight higher reps can get you leaner. weight training is best paired with lots of cardio (to get rid of the body fat and help you work out longer and harder) and a nutritious diet. find a style of training you really enjoy. if you enjoy your workouts it will be a lot easier to stick with it. contact a personal trainer at your local gym if you need help getting started, they can point you in the right direction.

Post #3   2/19/12 10:29:41PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Yeah, the question is a bit broad. You can put on size and weight with strength training. But it's very dependent upon the kind of strength training you do, and how you choose to fuel your body.

The general rule of thumb is this: If you're trying to gain strength you should focus on moving weights in a lower number of reps (4-8 rep range for 3-6 sets) but make sure that the weight is 80-90% of your one-rep maximum weight.

If you're trying to gain muscle size (hypertrophy) then you want to be working with weights that are about 70-80% of your one-rep max. You'll want to be doing 3-4 sets and between 8-12 reps each set.

Either way you'll want between 2-3 minutes of recovery between sets.

Nutrition is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Bottom line is: You're going to lose weight if you are strength training and don't increase you're caloric intake. So if you're eating a ton just to maintain at 135 you may find it difficult to put on muscle mass. I'm 5' 9" and walk around at about 158 pounds most days. I put down an insane amount of food each day and putting on weight doesn't come easy for me at all.

Post #4   2/20/12 10:12:00AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
Thanks for the help guys. means a lot to get some tuition on this ...

Post #5   2/20/12 11:49:17AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

. So if you're eating a ton just to maintain at 135 you may find it difficult to put on muscle mass. I'm 5' 9" and walk around at about 158 pounds most days. I put down an insane amount of food each day and putting on weight doesn't come easy for me at all.

I am the same way
im 5'10, 145 and I eat enough for a medium sized family, but Ill be damned if I can put on 5 more pounds, I can drop 15 pounds without trying, but gaining it back take 2 months sometimes.

Post #6   2/20/12 2:00:19PM   

Andreywhites

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Weight training should start with slow and controlled movement there are minimum risk of injury. Very low amount of weight should use its make easy and faster.

Post #7   4/21/12 6:36:16AM