Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

NSAC Explains Nick Diaz Could Have (But Didn't) Request Exemption For Marijuana Use

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
One of the biggest stories coming out of Nick Diaz testing positive for marijuana after his UFC 143 bout with Carlos Condit has been Diaz's medical prescription for the drug. While some have said that Diaz should not be punished at all for something he has a prescription for, others have pointed out that there are plenty of medical conditions which require drugs or other intervention which prevent others from fighting.

But, as pointed out in a recent Cage Potato interview with Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, there were ways for Diaz and his camp to have applied for an exemption for his use, they just didn't:

According to Kizer, though, Diaz had another option: coming to the NSAC weeks before fighting and applying for a therapeutic exemption (TUE) for his marijuana use.

Given that Diaz' coach and manager, Cesar Gracie, has made a point of saying that Diaz has a legal right to use marijuana in California since a doctor prescribed it to him, one would have expected Diaz to have applied for the exemption with the commission.

But that did not happen Kizer explains, as no one from Diaz' camp has ever attempted to explain any mitigating circumstances to him about the fighter's marijuana use or tried to contextualize it to attempt for Nick to granted a therapeutic exemption. "I have no idea what [Diaz's] marijuana situation is," Kizer told CagePotato on Thursday. "No one from his camp has ever come to me or the commission and tried to explain it."

LINK

Post #1   2/18/12 2:47:15PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As it turns out, in this country, you can apply for whatever you want. I just applied for a two million dollar personal loan from BofA, and they laughed me out of the building. Just like the NSAC would do if Nick tried the TUE route for his weed. I wonder if there is any precedent for any athlete in Nevada getting a TUE for medical Marijuana. I very highly doubt it. Nevada is so strongly against weed, it's insane.

In spite of the perceived futility, Cesar Gracie (or someone from the camp) could've at least kicked the tires on this thing while Nick was training. It certainly couldn't have hurt.

Post #2   2/18/12 3:22:50PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
is this something openly known for marijuana use or is it something buried deep in the back of the rulebook that never gets looked at? I'm pretty sure Nick had no idea of this (as all he wants to do is train and fight and not deal with the other stuff) so that would mean it's up to his management to do this or at least notify Diaz to submit the paperwork.

it does seem odd that they wouldn't know about this after what happened 5 years ago in the same state...did the rules change to allow this or was it even made aware after he was suspended?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   2/18/12 3:27:01PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

is this something openly known for marijuana use or is it something buried deep in the back of the rulebook that never gets looked at? I'm pretty sure Nick had no idea of this (as all he wants to do is train and fight and not deal with the other stuff) so that would mean it's up to his management to do this or at least notify Diaz to submit the paperwork.

it does seem odd that they wouldn't know about this after what happened 5 years ago in the same state...did the rules change to allow this or was it even made aware after he was suspended?

If Nick was adamant about using, it should have been his responsibility to inquire with the commission one way or another, to see if there was an exemption based on his legal possession of marijuana. Diaz's camp has no excuse for him testing positive, and thus far, I don't think I have read any, which is good obviously.

Post #4   2/18/12 4:36:24PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't agree with it being Nick's responsibility to hunt down and put in for a TUE because things like this is specifically why fighters have mangers.....the fighter needs to focus on receiving training from his coaches and coming into the fight utilizing the correct techniques and game plan. Coaches need to focus on arranging the training to get the fighter to peak at the right time and that the fight is formulated for a victory. The managers need to focus on legal, travel, pay issues as well as getting their fighters the correct fight for their fighters careers.

Post #5   2/18/12 6:14:09PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I don't agree with it being Nick's responsibility to hunt down and put in for a TUE because things like this is specifically why fighters have mangers.....the fighter needs to focus on receiving training from his coaches and coming into the fight utilizing the correct techniques and game plan. Coaches need to focus on arranging the training to get the fighter to peak at the right time and that the fight is formulated for a victory. The managers need to focus on legal, travel, pay issues as well as getting their fighters the correct fight for their fighters careers.

I don't see how you can say it's not his responsibility. Nick is an adult, and a professional fighter for many years, and seemingly an avid marijuana smoker as it pertains to this case. A manager is not a baby sitter, it was Nick's choice to decide to smoke, and it's his money that pays his manager to advise him on such matters. If Nick chooses to rely on people to make decisions for him, it's his responsibility to get the right people for the job.

Post #6   2/18/12 7:11:56PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
Nick is too stoned to care about such things.

Post #7   2/18/12 10:11:53PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,787-1,087
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

As it turns out, in this country, you can apply for whatever you want. I just applied for a two million dollar personal loan from BofA, and they laughed me out of the building. Just like the NSAC would do if Nick tried the TUE route for his weed. I wonder if there is any precedent for any athlete in Nevada getting a TUE for medical Marijuana. I very highly doubt it. Nevada is so strongly against weed, it's insane.

In spite of the perceived futility, Cesar Gracie (or someone from the camp) could've at least kicked the tires on this thing while Nick was training. It certainly couldn't have hurt.

Lol, well said.

Kizer said in the article that no one had tried to get a theraputic exemption through the NSAC before. Nick did try with the CSAC while in EliteXC, as he discussed on his epic Sherdog radio interview at the time. He was denied, obviously. Both the NSAC, and CSAC have been well aware that NIck's a pothead for years.

Kizer is just fucking with Nick, as the AC's have done in the past, and as NIck has constantly bitched about.

Since Nick feels, and believes the Athletic commissions are out to get him, (and he now has clear cut evidence that they are fucking with him at least) it would be self-defeating for him to support their corruption by playing their games, and filling out their forms. Nick KNOWS that the form would change nothing.

Last edited 2/19/12 7:39PM server time by bustamante-AOKI
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   2/19/12 7:39:01PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
"According to Kizer, though, Diaz had another option: coming to the NSAC weeks before fighting and applying for a therapeutic exemption (TUE) for his marijuana use."

Im pretty sure he has been trying this since he got nailed after the Gomi fight and been denied every time......

Post #9   2/20/12 7:08:56AM