Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Brian Stann says he'll be the analyst on future UFC on FOX shows

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
From "All American's" official Twitter account:

"Huge thanks to all the fans who have supported me after the Fuel broadcast. Looks like I will be doing the Live Fox shows now. Power of fans."

LINK

Post #1   2/18/12 12:40:28AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Would rather see bonner

Post #2   2/18/12 1:17:52AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Would rather see bonner

I thought Stann did an excellent job and from what I've seen I'd pick him over Bonnar. Might just be me.

Post #3   2/18/12 2:09:22AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Chips:
Nope, not just you.

Post #4   2/18/12 2:48:53AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Well spoken, and just a damn good guy. Stann will represent the UFC well.

Post #5   2/18/12 5:08:33AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Would rather see Sonnen.

Using under-qualified (in broadcasting) fighters to analyze upcoming action seems like a gimmick to me.

Post #6   2/18/12 5:40:08AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Would rather see Sonnen.

Using under-qualified (in broadcasting) fighters to analyze upcoming action seems like a gimmick to me.

I agree with this. Bonnar has never been subbed, no doubt his wrestling skills/knowledge isn't spectacular but using guys who get tapped to Kimuras/Arm Triangles doesn't seem to make sense, where's Randy at he's well versed, KenFlo's already on the team, Maybe even Matt Hughes, just get someone who knows technique etc, no doubt Stanns a great guy but come on... He's 11-4....

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   2/18/12 5:56:42AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Stann is well spoken. I like him much better than Bonnar as an analyst. I could care less, if he's had a few sub loses on his record

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #8   2/18/12 7:20:09AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Stann has done the best job to date.

Post #9   2/18/12 7:47:00AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,381-784
Chips:
Stann did an excellent job. Bonnar knows what he's saying, but his voice doesnt translate on tv near as well as Stann's. Stann sounded so good, i wasnt even looking at the screen & that he was a pro.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #10   2/18/12 2:56:17PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
Broadcasting and fighting have nothing to do with each other really. Trigg's been defeated a number of ways by quite a few people but he is a good broadcaster, Couture's been Knocked Out a bunch and has a record barely over. 500, Bonner has seen many a rankings slide into the negative and has popped for steroids, Militec has a dookie record and has been broadcasting quite a bit, and all of these guys did it in a day with much faster and more skilled opponents than Bas Rutten.....my point being with Stann is that we all know he started too late and lacks the ground skills to ever be a world champion but that shouldn't stop him from being involved in the sport nor does it mean that he lacks the ability to speak intelligently on it. Good for you Stann, make money! All of these guys I would rather here speaking about a sport they have participated in over a fat balding Euro that has never been in a scrap since elementary school.

Post #11   2/18/12 3:22:15PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't understand the argument about someone being unqualified to analyze fights based on their fight record. Analyzing or understanding how something works is different from actually doing it. There's some overlap, you need to have some level of understanding in order to do something but I mean, Nogueira was submitted by a kimura, does that mean he doesn't understand how to defend a kimura or how to tell people how a kimura works?

I would go out on a limb and say that Joe Rogan would have a FAR worse record than Brian Stann if he were fighting in the UFC instead of commentating. It's considerably easier to think clearly when you're sitting in a chair watching someone else fight than when someone is punching you in the head or trying to choke you unconscious. How about Stephen Quadros for that matter? That guy would get annihilated in the UFC, but he's a great analyst.

Even if that argument were valid, a record of 11-4 when you have fought your entire career in the big leagues (14 of 15 fights in the WEC/UFC) is a stellar record.

Post #12   2/18/12 3:28:18PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Would rather see Sonnen.

It's no different than me doing the MMA@Work podcast. I don't see the issue. I've never done a radio show in my life, but I handle it fine. Personality matters on air and radio. Your record does not.

Post #13   2/18/12 7:42:37PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Stann will be an excellent commentator. He is well spoken and he knows the sport of MMA just as much as the next guy >>>well, maybe not as much as Rogan, Kenny or Mir but I think he will do just fine and in time, he will be just as analytical as those guys.

As far as commentating goes, I personally believe Stann will become more successful than Rogan, Ranallo, Goldberg, and Rutten. His ability to speak and convey his thoughts and his depiction of words are as good as Ranallo's and his analysis will eventually be as good as Rogan's.

And seriously - I like Bonnar just as much as the next guy but Bonnar is not and should not be a commentator.

Post #14   2/22/12 4:12:36PM