Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Remembering K-1 Champion Mike Bernardo: Dead at 42

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Sad news this week in the kickboxing world - K-1 great Mike Bernardo has passed away. The longtime K-1 veteran died in his hometown of Cape Town, South Africa at the age of 42. Further details on his death are not known at this time.

Bernardo was a fixture of the early days of K-1 where he established a fearsome reputation as the heavy-hitting KO fighter. Standing in contrast to more technical fighters like Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost, and Andy Hug, Benardo was K-1's original heavy-handed brawler type of fighter, though he was also a very technically skilled competitor. Kid Nate summed him up well as "the scariest man in K-1. Not necessarily the best, but the scariest." But as is often the case, that scary fighter inside the ring was a kind man outside, dedicated to his faith.

Link

Post #1   2/17/12 12:42:21PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,961-1,183
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I started watching K-1 in 2005, after Bernardo retired. But I've seen quite a few of his fights on the fight network, youtube, and elsewhere. He was deadly in his prime.

Those videos speak for themself. That LeBanner fight was epic.

He'll go down as one of the legends of K-1. Even if they're not around to honour him.

R.I.P.

Post #2   2/17/12 8:40:05PM