Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jorge Santiago Hoping To Re-Join The UFC With A Good Showing In 2012

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Former Sengoku middleweight champ, and UFC vet, Jorge ‘Sandman’ Santiago (23-10) calls 2011 a “nightmare” having lost both of his Octagon appearances, a TKO loss to Brian Stann at UFC 130 and a decision defeat at the hands of Demian Maia at UFC 136.

After his release by the top promotion, Santiago signed a multi-fight deal with the Titan Fighting Championship promotion and is set to debut on March 2nd versus fellow Brazilian Leonardo Pecanha.

Speaking to Tatame.com, Santiago talks about his “nightmare” year and his hopes to return to the Octagon by stringing together a few good wins in 2012.

Link

Post #1   2/16/12 6:17:21PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Not if he gets 2 top 10 fighters when fighting in the UFC again.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   2/16/12 6:33:34PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,335-763
Chips:
As much I would like to see it I wouldn't. He looked terrible in both fights and only seems to do well outside of the UFC, he might be able to make a run in Strikeforce but I don't see him coming back to the UFC.

Post #3   2/16/12 6:47:27PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Chips:
I'd love to see him come back....I want to see the UFC as Super Fight Organization......with JMMA and SF and Bellator etc as feeder or recorrecting organizations for fighters. Its pretty much there already anyways but I want them to grab every top 25 ranked fighter for themselves in each weight class. Dude just needs to stay a ground wizard instead of boxing with guys that have critical levels of KO Power.

Post #4   2/16/12 11:12:52PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
Jorge's big problem is that both times he signed with the UFC they pretty much threw him to the wolves. First time against Leben and Belcher and then Maia and Stann. Jorge has been fairly impressive outside of the UFC but he hasn't had top notch opponents. 2007 was his best year when he beat Horn, Prangley, Salmon and Semenov. Those guys are lower mid tier fighters though. He has fought in the UFC 5 times but only has 1 win and that was in hist first fight against the late Justin Levens. I think another factor in Jorge's dismal UFC career is that I don't think he has ever gotten over the Octagon jitters. I am sure losing almost every time in there would block any confidence from growing though. If he were to get another crack at it he had better get rid of those jitters, get a few decent opponents under his belt first, hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves again and he also had better up his game. Even the top fighters have to up their game to avoid falling down the ladder...Jorge is only half way up the ladder he can't afford to stay where he is or fall farther down. In the end though no matter who you are talking about in the MMA world it is always a case of "sink or swim"....can Jorge "swim"? Sadly I think he would drown.

Post #5   2/17/12 2:01:31AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

It was all about his pay range. Santiago made $36,000 each time he showed up to fight, and while that seems paltry compared to some of the salaries we see the UFC pay out to Georges St. Pierre or Brock Lesnar, here's some perspective: Chael Sonnen made $70,000 fighting at UFC 136 and half of that was as a win bonus. Jose Aldo made $48,000 at UFC 136, and half of that was a win bonus. Therefore, Jorge Santiago's UFC contract guaranteed more money than a middleweight that would pound him through the mat and the featherweight champion.

Jorge Santiago was being paid like a top-ten fighter. He just did not compete like one.

Last edited 2/17/12 2:42AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   2/17/12 2:40:01AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by jjeans

It was all about his pay range. Santiago made $36,000 each time he showed up to fight, and while that seems paltry compared to some of the salaries we see the UFC pay out to Georges St. Pierre or Brock Lesnar, here's some perspective: Chael Sonnen made $70,000 fighting at UFC 136 and half of that was as a win bonus. Jose Aldo made $48,000 at UFC 136, and half of that was a win bonus. Therefore, Jorge Santiago's UFC contract guaranteed more money than a middleweight that would pound him through the mat and the featherweight champion.

Jorge Santiago was being paid like a top-ten fighter. He just did not compete like one.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info man! Hopefully he can get paid a TUF Winner sorta salary. 18,000, 36,000 for a win. Either way though we those figures I fully understand his release and maybe he was cut so they could sort out a new deal after a couple of wins

Thanks

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   2/17/12 9:53:14AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,546-1,579
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I think his biggest problem is his weak chin and that's not something you can fix.

Post #8   2/17/12 1:04:26PM