Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gary Goodridge Diagnosed with CTE/Pugilistic Dementia

Print  
Posted By Message

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Former UFC, Pride and K-1 star Gary Goodridge has a new battle on his hands, but just like his fights in the cage or ring, he won’t go down without swinging.

Goodridge recently visited a top neuro-physician in Canada where he was diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia.

CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) by definition is brain damage caused by repeated head trauma, resulting in degeneration of brain tissue. It’s commonly found in boxers, football players, ice hockey players and other athletes who have suffered repeated traumatic shock to the head.
Full Article Here

Last edited 2/14/12 6:13AM server time by ufc_fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/14/12 6:11:57AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
This is really kinda tragic. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Ali. It's always sad to watch people deteriorate like that. I hope the best for him.

Post #2   2/14/12 6:17:53AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
That's unfortunate. I would say though that as a fighter, you should be aware of this possibility and probably take it into serious consideration when you've taken a large number of pretty vicious (T)KOs. If you look down his MMA and kickboxing records they're pretty telling. He's suffered 24 (T)KOs at the hands of some pretty vicious power strikers.

MMA:

Vovchanchyn TKO (punches) x 2
Yvel KO (head kick)
Fedor TKO (soccer kicks and punches)
Herring TKO (punches)
Mu Bae Choi KO (punch)
Gegard Mousasi TKO (punches)
Pedro Rizzo TKO (retirement)
Lyubomir Simeonov TKO (punches)

Kickboxing:

Masaaki Satake KO (kick)
Jérôme Le Banner KO (straight right)
Mike Bernardo KO (right hook)
Mighty Mo TKO (three knockdowns)
Ray Sefo KO (right uppercuts)
Glaube Feitosa KO (left high kick)
Jérôme Le Banner TKO (three knockdowns)
Chalid Arrab KO (right hook)
Remy Bonjasky KO (knee)
Patrick Barry TKO (referee stoppage)
Choi Hong-man KO (knee)
Catalin Morosanu TKO (corner stoppage)
Catalin Morosanu TKO (referee stoppage)

That's a pretty incredible history of trauma at the hands of some huge fighters with really, really heavy hands, knees, and kicks. Consider the fact that Goodridge has a pretty strong chin and you can probably conclude that he's taking even more trauma as a result.

Really unfortunate that this happened to him, but I think any fighter needs to really be aware that after being knocked out even like 8, 9, 10 times, (never mind 24 times by heavyweights and super heavyweights) you need to really seriously think about your health and maybe just teaching or coaching instead of competition.

Post #3   2/14/12 6:35:41AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

This is really kinda tragic. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Ali. It's always sad to watch people deteriorate like that. I hope the best for him.

according to Ali's doctor, his parkinsons was not caused by trauma he actually has the disease.......but yea i hope he doesnt end up like that too.

ACs are really gonna have to figure this out, they need testing, and stricter licensing for people who may be in jepordy of this....as in if there is a question they cant fight.

i worry about people like Chris Leben, Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, the Diaz's etc

Post #4   2/14/12 10:12:05AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,177
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Is this the start of things to come? Mma is a young sport with the first bug wave starting to retire. Hope we don't start seeing this become more prevalent

Post #5   2/14/12 11:08:44AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,737-1,519
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tmas

ACs are really gonna have to figure this out, they need testing, and stricter licensing for people who may be in jepordy of this....as in if there is a question they cant fight.

I'm all for AC's doing the best they can to detect these things in advance (when possible), but Gary fought the vast majority of his bouts in places where there are no AC's.

Post #6   2/14/12 11:23:40AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,023-594
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Is this the start of things to come? Mma is a young sport with the first bug wave starting to retire. Hope we don't start seeing this become more prevalent

100%. I worry that because of how young it is, we have to wait and see what happens to all of these fighters down the road. It's hard to imagine that starting to fight at a young age won't result in some form of brain injury down the line. I would say that most of this would come from the day to day routine of sparring. Even going light, taking punches to the head over a long period of time has to have some effect later.

Post #7   2/14/12 3:03:19PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I would argue he's taken more punishment than Ali did.

I hope he is forced to retire if he hasn't already.

Post #8   2/14/12 3:33:09PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by Aether

That's unfortunate. I would say though that as a fighter, you should be aware of this possibility and probably take it into serious consideration when you've taken a large number of pretty vicious (T)KOs. If you look down his MMA and kickboxing records they're pretty telling. He's suffered 24 (T)KOs at the hands of some pretty vicious power strikers.

MMA:

Vovchanchyn TKO (punches) x 2
Yvel KO (head kick)
Fedor TKO (soccer kicks and punches)
Herring TKO (punches)
Mu Bae Choi KO (punch)
Gegard Mousasi TKO (punches)
Pedro Rizzo TKO (retirement)
Lyubomir Simeonov TKO (punches)

Kickboxing:

Masaaki Satake KO (kick)
Jérôme Le Banner KO (straight right)
Mike Bernardo KO (right hook)
Mighty Mo TKO (three knockdowns)
Ray Sefo KO (right uppercuts)
Glaube Feitosa KO (left high kick)
Jérôme Le Banner TKO (three knockdowns)
Chalid Arrab KO (right hook)
Remy Bonjasky KO (knee)
Patrick Barry TKO (referee stoppage)
Choi Hong-man KO (knee)
Catalin Morosanu TKO (corner stoppage)
Catalin Morosanu TKO (referee stoppage)

That's a pretty incredible history of trauma at the hands of some huge fighters with really, really heavy hands, knees, and kicks. Consider the fact that Goodridge has a pretty strong chin and you can probably conclude that he's taking even more trauma as a result.

Really unfortunate that this happened to him, but I think any fighter needs to really be aware that after being knocked out even like 8, 9, 10 times, (never mind 24 times by heavyweights and super heavyweights) you need to really seriously think about your health and maybe just teaching or coaching instead of competition.

Yeah that's absolutely ridiculous. 24times? Holy shiit that's crazy I'd probably want to retire after 5 if that. Dude never really was an all time great fighter but its still a legend in this young sport whose given us pretty good fights, I hope he's been compensated enough to retire comfortably after a noteworthly career facing off against some of the best of the best.

Post #9   2/14/12 5:38:31PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
This sounds terrible. Hopfully it was caught early enough they can prolong his "enjoyable" life.

Post #10   2/14/12 6:23:35PM