Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Injured Mike Kyle scratches from 'Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey' co-headliner

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:896-509
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
An undisclosed injury has forced Mike Kyle (19-8-1 MMA, 3-3-1 SF) to withdraw from a co-headliner at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey," sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

It's the second time an injury has scrapped a matchup with former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champ Gegard Mousasi (32-3-2 MMA, 3-1-1 SF). The two were supposed to meet this past April at "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" before Kyle broke his hand and bowed out.

At this time, it's unknown whether a replacement has been found to fight Mousasi, though one source said it's likely to be scrapped altogether. Strikeforce officials haven't formally announced the scratch.

LINK

Post #1   2/13/12 2:48:46PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

At this time, it's unknown whether a replacement has been found to fight Mousasi, though one source said it's likely to be scrapped altogether. Strikeforce officials haven't formally announced the scratch.

Don't scrap the co-main. That's just silly. How about one of the following...

Mousasi vs. Jardine II
Mousasi vs. Feijão
Mousasi vs. Bonnar

I know Feijão and Bonnar would be highly unlikely but I'd be willing to bet Jardine would be more than willing to give Gegard a rematch.

Post #2   2/13/12 2:59:50PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,474-841
Chips:
i really like the idea of Bonnar stepping in. not sure how likely it is, but i would love to see it

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #3   2/13/12 3:34:01PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Mousasi vs. Jardine II
Mousasi vs. Feijão
Mousasi vs. Bonnar

I know Feijão and Bonnar would be highly unlikely but I'd be willing to bet Jardine would be more than willing to give Gegard a rematch.

Jardine is suspended until March 8, no contact until Feb. 22. With him being knocked out so much, doubt they clear him early.

Post #4   2/13/12 3:46:55PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
That Stinks! Gegard vs. Randleman? who else will go in on short notice who is an SF fighter, king Mo, or Calvacante would be my choice

Last edited 2/13/12 4:18PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #5   2/13/12 4:08:04PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

That Stinks! Gegard vs. Randleman? who else will go in on short notice who is an SF fighter, king Mo, or Calvacante would be my choice

Randleman retired after he lost to some Russian last spring. Not sure how current you are with mma news, but King Mo received a 1 yr suspension after his fight with Larkin for PED's.

Calvacante would be a really good choice if he has been training.

Post #6   2/13/12 5:47:11PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I know that fighters cant say their injured to get out of a fight...they have to prove their hurt but I really do think some fighters get hurt on purpose to get out of fights. I know its a theory that maybe I only have but it seems like everytime a fighter is setup to lose or his fighting a fight where he has more to lose then the other guy and he's likely to lose he gets hurt.
I know that Matt Brown will pull out of his fight against Stephen Thompson.
If Borwn loses and he likely will he's getting canned.
Guys dont liek to turn down fights but when they except a fight they know they'll lose meh break a finger and get out of it and essentially save their job.
Leonard Garcia is another guy that should be canned and look how long Nick Catone has kept a UFC career going that is likely to go nowhere by getting hurt a week before every fight .
I dont know the pile of injuries the week of a fight is ridiculous.
I knwo this fight between Mousasi and Kyle isnt a week away but Kyle will NEVER fight mousasi
He knows he will lose so whats the point

Post #7   2/13/12 7:23:03PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
two other fighters I think will get hurt will be Ben Rothwell before fighting Schaub and Igor Pokrajac will pull out of the fight with Thiago Silva to go along with matt brown.
Just a theory.

Post #8   2/13/12 7:30:40PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I know what your saying but surely a fighter should always feel they can beat any opponent in their weight class, even if the general public doesn't agree. Otherwise you'd be setting yourself up to lose against opponents that you could possibly beat, based on what the odd's makers think.

Everyone in MMA knows that it only takes one punch or one mistake to end a fight either way. Serra Vs GSP springs to mind.

Post #9   2/14/12 3:33:16AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Mousasi vs. Jardine II
Mousasi vs. Feijão
Mousasi vs. Bonnar

Bonnar vs. Mousasi would be lights out. I think Gegard could finally crack that chin, too.

If Jardine is unable, they will probably just scrap Mousasi's slot. Throwing Feijão in on short notice would be a disservice to sensibility, so the only likely options left are people that would serve as a step back for The Dreamcatcher, like a Pezao de Lima.

That division is totally eviscerated, and outside of Mousasi vs Feijão there is no interesting fight left to be had for the top three Strikeforce LHWs. Mousasi, King Mo, and Feijão need to be moved to the UFC.

Post #10   2/14/12 5:28:41AM