Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Condit Accepts Rematch with Diaz

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,459-835
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
im excited about it. gonna be a good fight.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #16   2/8/12 2:20:53AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Still pickin' Diaz.

Post #17   2/8/12 2:26:23AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I am glad Condit is caving to the pressure. He said himself that he rewatched the fighter and it was closer than he thought.

Hey, if anyone thinks Condit won that fight, help me out. I want precedent. Has anyone seen any other fight where someone was being backed up all night and forced to land ineffective leg kicks as their main offense? Do you remember watching that fight and saying that fighter executed a good gameplan?

Condit landed nothing good. He hit Diaz with two head kicks that Diaz walked through. Diaz hit better combos, pressured all night, and came closest to finishing the fight.

But Condit won? And will win again? STFU.

Post #18   2/8/12 2:41:13AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Chips:
How was Condit's kicks ineffective? Diaz is a tough dude. Just because he didn't limp around like an injured dog doesn't mean they didn't hurt. Ever been kicked? It hurts like s***! I know you're a huge fan of Diaz, but Condit won the fight. Yeah, he backed away most of the fight, but he still outstruck Diaz.

Post #19   2/8/12 2:58:46AM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:
I hope Diaz can focus coming out of another retirement. My four year old bounces back after his tantrums and idle threats. Diaz should be able to as well. I had Diaz winning 3-2, I see the fight going the same way. Still wanna see though.

Post #20   2/8/12 3:09:27AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:822-526
Chips:
I think Diaz is going to force this one to the ground as much as he can.

Post #21   2/8/12 3:10:43AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by jakewalters

I think Diaz is going to force this one to the ground as much as he can.

One would think so, especially how effortless it was for him to take the back of Condit with relative ease in the 5th round of a title fight in which he may have finished the fight had he had more time to work with, but maybe not since they were probably a bit slippery.

Either way this rematch is going to look totally different and I'm just as excited for the rematch. I'm surprised more people aren't happy this is being made.

Post #22   2/8/12 3:28:54AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

How was Condit's kicks ineffective? Diaz is a tough dude. Just because he didn't limp around like an injured dog doesn't mean they didn't hurt. Ever been kicked? It hurts like s***! I know you're a huge fan of Diaz, but Condit won the fight. Yeah, he backed away most of the fight, but he still outstruck Diaz.

First of all, let me say, you're my boy FastKO! As are everyone else on the boards. The Diaz brothers generally bring out the most intense discussion from me, and I hope I don't offend anyone in the process. Now, back to the topic...

I would say Condit outkicked Diaz, personally. I wouldn't say outstruck. I said his kicks were ineffective because well, I feel they were. Everything is relative. What is hot to you, I may find cold. When Pat Barry kicks a can, it may break their leg. When Pat Barry kicks Joey Beltran (a tough can), he laughs and dances in the club later.

I gave Condit rounds 3 and 4. In those rounds, I found his volume of counter striking, as well as the power in his counters, seemed amplified. I gave him those rounds because I found his aggression in counter striking outweighed the fact he wasn't dictating where the fight took place.

The majority of the time though, he landed weak, slapping leg kicks. And then there was his knee-stomp type kick which appeared to have as little velocity and impact as possible while still technically connecting. Effective striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control all went to Diaz in my book, overall. If you land so many leg kicks over a 25 minute fight, and it neither hinders your opponents movement nor stops the fight, how is that an effective tactic?

Also, I am still waiting on someone to cite me precedent where someone has won a fight under similar circumstances. I am asking for this because I have never seen a fight where someone ran/was backed up so much and people defended that person as the winner.

Look at Sanchez-Kampmann. That is the ONE fight I could think of where the guy backing up should have won the fight. And he didn't, Kampmann lost. In that case, the fact that he clearly outstruck and outgrappled Sanchez apparently meant nothing to the judges because Sanchez was walking forward. In this case, Condit controlled little to no aspects of the fight, was backing up the whole time, and somehow won.

Post #23   2/8/12 3:42:32AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by FastKnockout

First of all, let me say, you're my boy FastKO! As are everyone else on the boards. The Diaz brothers generally bring out the most intense discussion from me, and I hope I don't offend anyone in the process. Now, back to the topic...

I would say Condit outkicked Diaz, personally. I wouldn't say outstruck. I said his kicks were ineffective because well, I feel they were. Everything is relative. What is hot to you, I may find cold. When Pat Barry kicks a can, it may break their leg. When Pat Barry kicks Joey Beltran (a tough can), he laughs and dances in the club later.

I gave Condit rounds 3 and 4. In those rounds, I found his volume of counter striking, as well as the power in his counters, seemed amplified. I gave him those rounds because I found his aggression in counter striking outweighed the fact he wasn't dictating where the fight took place.

The majority of the time though, he landed weak, slapping leg kicks. And then there was his knee-stomp type kick which appeared to have as little velocity and impact as possible while still technically connecting. Effective striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control all went to Diaz in my book, overall. If you land so many leg kicks over a 25 minute fight, and it neither hinders your opponents movement nor stops the fight, how is that an effective tactic?

Also, I am still waiting on someone to cite me precedent where someone has won a fight under similar circumstances. I am asking for this because I have never seen a fight where someone ran/was backed up so much and people defended that person as the winner.

Look at Sanchez-Kampmann. That is the ONE fight I could think of where the guy backing up should have won the fight. And he didn't, Kampmann lost. In that case, the fact that he clearly outstruck and outgrappled Sanchez apparently meant nothing to the judges because Sanchez was walking forward. In this case, Condit controlled little to no aspects of the fight, was backing up the whole time, and somehow won.

Post #24   2/8/12 4:09:36AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Props to Condit, he didn't have to do this but he is. It's kind of bitter sweet news though because I'm already beyond tired of all the complaining this fight has generated and I'm sure the rematch will result in more of it. I guess that's the point of a forum but for whatever reason it seems like an incredibly dead horse already.

Post #25   2/8/12 5:23:39AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
Nick! Dry your eyes, go pick your toy's up and put them back in the pram. You have your rematch.

Post #26   2/8/12 6:17:37AM   

ianinspain

MMA Regular

ianinspain Avatar

Career:754-517
Chips:
Fight metrics

Fighter Sig. Str. Sig. Str. % Total Str. TD
Condit 151 of 320 47% 159 of 329 0 of 0
Diaz 105 of 246 43% 117 of 258 1 of 3

Carlos Condit took the interim welterweight title at UFC 143 and took another distinction as well. He landed 68 leg kicks against Nick Diaz, setting the record for most leg kicks landed in a single fight. The previous record was 49, landed by Donald Cerrone in his fight against Vagner Rocha, which remains the record for a three-round fight. Through three rounds, Condit had only landed 42 leg kicks.

Not the whole picture I know but seems pretty straight forward to me. If you are backing up and still striking then so what - do you have to walk forward to strike? Ask the dragon or the many others who do the same thing.

Post #27   2/8/12 6:35:05AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,134-678
Chips:

Posted by ianinspain

Fight metrics

Fighter Sig. Str. Sig. Str. % Total Str. TD
Condit 151 of 320 47% 159 of 329 0 of 0
Diaz 105 of 246 43% 117 of 258 1 of 3

Carlos Condit took the interim welterweight title at UFC 143 and took another distinction as well. He landed 68 leg kicks against Nick Diaz, setting the record for most leg kicks landed in a single fight. The previous record was 49, landed by Donald Cerrone in his fight against Vagner Rocha, which remains the record for a three-round fight. Through three rounds, Condit had only landed 42 leg kicks.

Not the whole picture I know but seems pretty straight forward to me. If you are backing up and still striking then so what - do you have to walk forward to strike? Ask the dragon or the many others who do the same thing.

The uncounted statistic

Back more than 180 degrees to Diaz, not counting 90 degrees or spinning strikes
Condit turned 3 times in round 1
7 in round 2

21 total

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #28   2/8/12 6:40:10AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
yet he still out struck diaz
= winning the fight.

if a guy turns his back on you, attack him, take his back, you have an advantage, he cant see you. if he turns and takes 2 steps, take 3 towards him.

I believe this was UFC 143, not HBO boxing, Condit vs Diaz.
people are butt hurt because they didnt stand toe to toe and throw for 5 rounds.
sure its exciting, but stupid as hell. why play into Nicks strengths?

thats like running up to GSP and pulling guard.

Post #29   2/8/12 6:54:55AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,434-1,251
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

yet he still out struck diaz
= winning the fight.

I'm not referring to this fight, because it's been talked about to death, but that statement is wrong.

30 jabs aren't better than 29 overhand rights.

Post #30   2/8/12 7:07:03AM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5