Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Champ Carlos Condit on UFC 143 win: In battles, 'you want to pick the battleground'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,479-1,275
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
After watching his fight with Nick Diaz on Sunday, Carlos Condit changed his scorecard.

"During the fight, I felt like I won four out of the five rounds," he today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I watched it yesterday, and it looked a little bit closer.

"I probably would have given Nick two (rounds) and myself three."

LINK

Post #1   2/6/12 8:27:26PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
I wanted Diaz to win, but even being biased, when I was watching the fight; if Nick didn't switch up his game plan, he was gonna lose. Yeah Carlos ran a lot but he stuck to his game plan and he hit Diaz more significantly. Even wanting Diaz to win, I felt he lost. Everyone's judgement is so clouded by their obsession with GSP vs. Diaz, but trust me I want to see that badly too.

Too bad they didn't score this fight a draw.

Post #2   2/6/12 8:35:51PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
After reading this interview I kind of feel bad for Condit. He was given a strategy by his coach and he followed it. But I think his strategy was totally against his instincts.

This could have been a really exciting and still a really close fight. I think Condit is capable of striking with Diaz and capable of grappling with him. Instead he decided to run and "play the game" to get a W. You can tell he feels a bit sour about it if you read the end of the interview.

Instead of being a warrior and giving the fans a fight he could be proud of (win or lose) Condit chose not to engage. I think he has less fans than he did before the fight as a result.

Post #3   2/6/12 10:43:14PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,369-1,414
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i dont get?..why is err'one on Condit nuts?..get off em!..when Machida was playing his point game and 'running', err'one loved it..but when Condit does it, or smarter fighters do it, why the hate?..serious..u know what running is..ask Kalib Starnes, ok..Condit dodged out Diaz's angles, had a hand up ready for the block as he dip'd out..and reset'd back to the center of the cage and began his strikes and mixed em up..he def had the better strikes that night, no doubt..land' harder strikes..those leg kicks def slowd Diaz down and i dont get how ppl can hate on that..Condit won hands down..

NKB new WW champ!, yes he'll beat GSP!

Last edited 2/7/12 1:49AM server time by rhythmandstyle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/7/12 1:48:35AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

when Machida was playing his point game and 'running', err'one loved it..but when Condit does it, or smarter fighters do it, why the hate?

I would assume because Machida fights like that every time, so if people don't like the style they just don't buy the pay-per-view that Machida headlines. A lot of people dropped sixty bones on this card knowing the main event would be explosive between two of the best finishers in the division and it was most likely the biggest letdown in MMA history for a 5 round fight in terms of expected action vs. actual action. I'm glad I didn't pay for it and if I had, I wouldn't be buying UFC's for awhile. It was a smart strategy to use and it worked, but to not understand why fans didn't like it, it's pretty obvious. I'd feel like I was mugged for sixty bones.

Post #5   2/7/12 2:14:14AM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I had 48-47 for Condit. But it was very close

Post #6   2/7/12 2:45:51AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I was actually impressed with Condit. Smart strategy. If he had fought like he usually does then it could have well ended up like Diaz v Daley.

Diaz is butthurt because Condit didn't play his game. GSP in the same situation as Diaz found himself would have still been able to do damage to Condit with a stiff jab, or just grabbed hold of Carlos, thrown him to the mat, and laid on him until the fight was over. GSP knows how to adapt to an opponents game plans mid fight.

Instead of throwing his toys out of the pram Diaz should get back in there and take the loss as a lesson. He was on a tear until this fight and there is no reason why he can't still win his way to a title shot in the near future.

Post #7   2/7/12 5:00:40AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
Condit is a very smart human being. He did his homework, stuck to his game plan and won the fight. He wasn't running either. He was circling away. I like both fighters and I thought it was a great fight. Condit deserved the win. I scored it 48-47. I think Condit might have a tougher time beating GSP than Diaz would have though. Like I said though....Carlos is very intelligent. He will do his homework on GSP too. GSP is smart enough to change it up though. GSP may come in with a style that Condit is unprepared for, Condit is a warrior though....more so than GSP is. If Condit can negate or escape GSP's lay and pray wrestling control tactics....he can't lose. When Carlos first came into the UFC I was ticked that he didn't get a chance to unify the UFC and WEC WW belts. Now that he has picked off the (ex) Strikeforce WW champ he can "unify" all three.

Post #8   2/7/12 9:02:19AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,045-608
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Condit is a very smart human being. He did his homework, stuck to his game plan and won the fight. He wasn't running either. He was circling away. I like both fighters and I thought it was a great fight. Condit deserved the win. I scored it 48-47. I think Condit might have a tougher time beating GSP than Diaz would have though. Like I said though....Carlos is very intelligent. He will do his homework on GSP too. GSP is smart enough to change it up though. GSP may come in with a style that Condit is unprepared for, Condit is a warrior though....more so than GSP is. If Condit can negate or escape GSP's lay and pray wrestling control tactics....he can't lose. When Carlos first came into the UFC I was ticked that he didn't get a chance to unify the UFC and WEC WW belts. Now that he has picked off the (ex) Strikeforce WW champ he can "unify" all three.

Agree 100%. I scored it the same and I actually thought it was a great fight. Very tactical and technical. I'd rather watch a smart, tough fighter versus a sloppy brawler. I'm a NBK fan.

Post #9   2/7/12 9:21:10AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,078-848
Chips:
i thought it was very very close, i had diaz winning 1, 2, 5. round 5 only because the takedown and then taking his back. i Also said right after the fight before the judges dec that i could easily see condit winning, he circled away from Diaz, (ran away if you must call it that) and made him reset, all the while landing strikes. i Said Condit did more damage, and that Diaz's best was backing condit to the cage (the agression, and oct control part,) and that Condit's best was the leg kicks. a huge diaz fan then looked at me and said yeah and which is better standing in front of someone backing them up until they run away and doing it again, or kicking someone in the leg....he then said he thought Condit would win.

so i thought it was close and either way it was fine dec by me but i had Diaz just by the thinnest winning...

Post #10   2/7/12 12:17:10PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

I was actually impressed with Condit. Smart strategy. If he had fought like he usually does then it could have well ended up like Diaz v Daley.

Diaz is butthurt because Condit didn't play his game. GSP in the same situation as Diaz found himself would have still been able to do damage to Condit with a stiff jab, or just grabbed hold of Carlos, thrown him to the mat, and laid on him until the fight was over. GSP knows how to adapt to an opponents game plans mid fight.

Instead of throwing his toys out of the pram Diaz should get back in there and take the loss as a lesson. He was on a tear until this fight and there is no reason why he can't still win his way to a title shot in the near future.

On a tear against..... Cyborg, KJ Noons the lightweight, Whitemare, none of these guys are to WW calibur in the UFC. Diaz beat up BJ Penn but alot of us would agree that watching BJ's performance after the first round theres nothing to be impressed enough with to say Diaz was on a GSP tear etc.

Give him Fitch and Kos and tell me if gets bach on that tear, then iego, then cut to go box. Condit showed he has a lot more chance against GSP than I gave him before thinking his only shot was that big hook. He coul use that same strategy on GSP to avoid those takedown angles.

Post #11   2/7/12 12:55:40PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
This is funny, because I actually respect Condit more after this fight than before.

I mean, here's a guy who a few years ago was having fits with Hiromitsu Miura. He was whiffing hooks while trying to slip punches and generally getting clinched on by a guy I haven't heard anything of since.

What I think some folks are forgetting - not necessarily here at the playground, just general internet buzz - is that when Nick Diaz loses, it's almost always due to points and strategy. He's simply not lost in such a long time that people forget, and some of the fans come out with the excuses. Oh, he got taken down and grinded on. Oh, he got cut by a paper champion. Oh, he smoked a little weed so his fight was overturned (which is a shame, I admit, because the Gomi fight was thrilling).

Here, Diaz got outstruck. Only once was he able to corner Condit and land a long combo of body punches - and even then, most of those were blocked. If he can't cut off the cage from Condit, that is on Diaz (and maybe his coaches). Not to fighter bash, but this wasn't Tyron Woodley shooting for a single and holding a guy down for 3 rounds. This was a sound, valid strategy.

I agree that Condit should've looked for the finish a little bit more, or been a bit more aggressive coming off of the solid kicks to the face that he landed. It's not like he would've been diving into Diaz's guard, or letting himself get pinned against the cage. But I thought it was a mature, disciplined performance with a clear winner.

Post #12   2/7/12 2:28:04PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,514-925
Chips:
I had it 1,2,5 for Diaz. Obviously, I am a huge Diaz fan, so I tried to watch objectively. I felt that only in rounds three and four did Condit land enough to consider him having won those rounds. He landed two head kicks in those rounds, one of which didn't even move Nick. Beyond those strikes, I don't think he did enough to win.

How many other fights can you name where the winner was being backed up for 25 minutes, had their back taken, and was forced to land weak, ineffective leg kicks as their primary offense? Nick was closest to the finish, he dictated where the fight took place, and he landed better quality shots. Condit never so much as made Diaz flinch.

Post #13   2/7/12 6:08:58PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
basically what I am hearing is that people favour leg kicks over punches to the face

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   2/7/12 6:54:00PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I had it 1,2,5 for Diaz. Obviously, I am a huge Diaz fan, so I tried to watch objectively. I felt that only in rounds three and four did Condit land enough to consider him having won those rounds. He landed two head kicks in those rounds, one of which didn't even move Nick. Beyond those strikes, I don't think he did enough to win.

How many other fights can you name where the winner was being backed up for 25 minutes, had their back taken, and was forced to land weak, ineffective leg kicks as their primary offense? Nick was closest to the finish, he dictated where the fight took place, and he landed better quality shots. Condit never so much as made Diaz flinch.

Nick is my favorite fighter and Carlos Condit is my third favorite, I've re-watched also and consider myself objective as both are favorites of mine. You can even go back months or years of my favorite favorite fighter rankings to see this. It's nothing new, and they're still 2 of my 3 favorite fighters.

That being said, I also had it 1/2/5 for Diaz, I thought it was up in the air going into round 5. Condit had been out-landing him with his evasive strategy but not landing anything with bad intentions until Diaz made the first attempt of the fight to finish and got the only dominant position of the fight.

That being said, I can see 1/3/5 being up to anyone's interpretation. So I would never call the result a robbery, but I would call the judges giving Condit the 2nd a robbery as even a 49-46 Condit, in my opinion, should've been 1/3/4/5 but instead both 49-46 cards were 1/2/4/5. I'd just call the fight a disappointment for fans and hopefully while Jackson continues to show he's a master at game-planning, he isn't going to be robbing fans of our enjoyment as often in the process, and I'm referring to much more than just this one Jackson fight.

Greg Jackson is solely responsible for at least a few PPV's I didn't buy. In the grand scheme of things, I'm just one person, but I don't want to buy PPV's with multiple, or headlined by, Greg Jackson fighters.

Last edited 2/7/12 9:49PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   2/7/12 9:48:01PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2