Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Former MFC Champ McKee disputes decision to drop Contract, Claims Health Issues Prevented Him From Making Wieght

Print  
Do weight cutting policies need to change?
No, the current system works. 5 42%
Yes, its unhealthy and/or potentially offers unfair advantages to certain fighters. 7 58%
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Ex-MFC-Champ-McKee-Responds-to-Release-I-Had-Kidney-Issues-39825
The Maximum Fighting Championship recently announced that lightweights Antonio McKee and Brian Cobb were released by the Canadian promotion for missing weight prior to their MFC 32 title bout.

McKee officially tipped the scales seven pounds over the contracted 155-pound limit. As a result, his planned lightweight title defense was downgraded to a non-title catchweight affair, and he was stripped of the belt by the organization prior to the contest.

“I was thoroughly disgusted by the lack of professionalism that Antonio McKee showed towards the belt he was scheduled to defend as well as the Maximum Fighting Championship as an organization,” said MFC President Mark Pavelich in an official statement released Tuesday.

McKee earned a unanimous decision victory over Cobb at the Jan. 27 event, which aired live on HDNet from the Mayfield Inn Trade and Convention Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

“It was unacceptable behavior for a champion to demonstrate. On top of that, Antonio never really apologized for missing weight that badly. That was the end of things for him with the MFC,” Pavelich continued. “That’s why he was stripped of his belt immediately and told that he would never fight in the MFC again. I hope it’s a message to all the other fighters in the MFC.”

McKee, however, sees the situation differently. According to the former champion, both Pavelich and Cobb knew McKee would miss weight due to illness. McKee says he and his camp made the conscious decision to “not push the envelope” and try to make weight, as the fighter was experiencing severe lightheadedness and stomach pains.

“[Pavelich] knew I wasn’t going to make weight before the fight because I told him I wasn’t going to make weight. I was sick. I had f---ing kidney issues. My stomach was messed up. They already knew that,” McKee told Sherdog.com on Wednesday.

In my opinion this calls into question the whole practice of cutting weight.

I have no sympathy for guys who miss weight due to "health issues." If you can't consistently make a weight cut in good health, you need to be fighting at a higher weight class.

I think they should institute a policy of multiple weigh ins to prevent this sort of drastic cutting. It isn't good for fighters. What happened to safety first?

Post #1   2/1/12 9:03:42PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Ah, the ol' Rumble/Tito excuse...

Also, I've said for years that weight cutting is fucking stupid but nobody seems to agree. I cut to 125 to compete, but only because I have to to compensate for the fact that everyone else is cutting weight.

Last edited 2/1/12 10:00PM server time by DeadHead988
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/1/12 9:58:38PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
the way I look at it, how often do fighters miss weight? maybe 1% of the time, if that? each fighter has dieticians and doctors and trainers coming up with a game plan where weight cutting is common science. i dont see this as much of an issue. if you cant make weight, fight a division higher or stop cutting so much weight in such little time

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   2/1/12 11:39:08PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

the way I look at it, how often do fighters miss weight? maybe 1% of the time, if that? each fighter has dieticians and doctors and trainers coming up with a game plan where weight cutting is common science. i dont see this as much of an issue. if you cant make weight, fight a division higher or stop cutting so much weight in such little time

But the issue isn't simply whether fighters can or cannot make the weight. As you say, most of the time they do.

I would argue that:

A) It is worse for a fighters long term health to consistently cut large amounts of weight.

B) Weight cutting adds a dimension to the sport that has nothing to do with fighting. While skill, athleticism, and game plans are certainly the MOST important factors, how good you are at cutting weight is also a criteria for your performance. I, personally, don't think that this situation is beneficial to the sport or promotes entertaining/competitive matches.

But people are going to take advantage of rules as long as they are able. They could add something simple (like how they do it in highschool wrestling) where you're only aloud to cut a certain amount of your body weight. Weigh the fighters at fight announcement, sometime during the training camp, and then again the night before or day of the fight. That way you ensure that they are cutting weight within healthy parameters.

Post #4   2/1/12 11:58:12PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,830-894
Chips:
While I personally think weight cutting is lame, its definitely here to stay. There's not really much of an alternative.

Post #5   2/2/12 12:00:15AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Ah, the ol' Rumble/Tito excuse...

Also, I've said for years that weight cutting is fucking stupid but nobody seems to agree. I cut to 125 to compete, but only because I have to to compensate for the fact that everyone else is cutting weight.

I'm not sure anyone disagrees, but it's just one of those things. It is what it is. Nothing will change the fact that people cut weight. Nothing.

Post #6   2/2/12 10:12:25AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No point changing the system unless someone in charge has a better alternative already worked out.

And they don't. So i vote no, as i see it as the lesser of two evils. Plus those who do not cut weight, have a longer prime and more energy during a fight.

Post #7   2/2/12 3:46:12PM