Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC fighter Jacob Volkmann's latest suspension lifted, though rules now stricter

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC lightweight Jacob Volkmann said he followed the rules – to the letter – when he said President Barack Obama needed a "glassectomy," even after being placed on paid administrative leave a second time by the high school that employs him as a part-time wrestling coach.

Now, the rules are a little bit stricter.

Volkmann was taken off administrative leave from White Bear Lake High School today after a meeting with school administrators.

LINK

Post #1   2/1/12 4:06:51PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I like following this story. It's interesting to me because it seems like a free-speech issue, but it's really an employment issue. It's like the news items where people go on Facebook and blast their boss, their company, or co-workers. Often that ends badly too.

Last edited 2/1/12 4:49PM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/1/12 4:49:23PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by scoozna
It's like the news items where people go on Facebook and blast their boss, their company, or co-workers. Often that ends badly too.

Horrible decision in this day and age.

Post #3   2/1/12 5:04:41PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Chips:
It's a really interesting problem though. How "free" is your speech when you cannot say what you like on FB/Twitter, on your own free time, on your own computer. I see the conflict and why an employer would want to terminate, but I wrestle with whether there is much of a real difference between that and someone saying the same things at a party or some other social gathering.

Post #4   2/1/12 5:32:24PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scoozna

It's a really interesting problem though. How "free" is your speech when you cannot say what you like on FB/Twitter, on your own free time, on your own computer. I see the conflict and why an employer would want to terminate, but I wrestle with whether there is much of a real difference between that and someone saying the same things at a party or some other social gathering.

It's ridiculous really. Why should my social network be the top priority of my potential employer? I've recently had to go through my Facebook and delete hundreds of pictures depicting me in illegal situations. We were all kids once, why the hell should that be reason to not hire someone? The internet is supposed to be the ultimate form of free speech but it's turning into something people can use against you.

Last edited 2/1/12 5:43PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/1/12 5:42:27PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

he thinks it will be a fun fight with Dunham until he gets his face smashed in.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   2/1/12 6:49:13PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
its simple, once u sign a ufc contract u r also signing away ur opinion as well

Post #7   2/1/12 7:13:05PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by scoozna

It's ridiculous really. Why should my social network be the top priority of my potential employer? I've recently had to go through my Facebook and delete hundreds of pictures depicting me in illegal situations. We were all kids once, why the hell should that be reason to not hire someone? The internet is supposed to be the ultimate form of free speech but it's turning into something people can use against you.

Well when you are a teacher, the rules are different for etiquette in particular.

Post #8   2/1/12 8:16:02PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by scoozna

Well when you are a teacher, the rules are different for etiquette in particular.

That's one profession. I'm going to be in the design field and this is apparently the number 1 thing they are checking when they are hiring.

Post #9   2/1/12 11:45:27PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by warglory

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by scoozna

That's one profession. I'm going to be in the design field and this is apparently the number 1 thing they are checking when they are hiring.

The issue here isn't free speech. It's the life and soul of comedy. Nobody who makes a joke that stupid should be free from some form of retaliation. Just like Carlos Mencia, he told/stole crappy jokes and then he got served in front of his own audience by Rogan. Now maybe if Volkmann tried some knock knock jokes first...

Post #10   2/2/12 9:32:16AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:
Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean freedom from consequences.

Post #11   2/2/12 9:36:54AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Just like Carlos Mencia, he told/stole crappy jokes and then he got served in front of his own audience by Rogan.

I've only recently become aware of this...is it on video anywhere?

Post #12   2/2/12 9:38:02AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Just like Carlos Mencia, he told/stole crappy jokes and then he got served in front of his own audience by Rogan.

I've only recently become aware of this...is it on video anywhere?

Here you are, sir!

Post #13   2/2/12 9:43:07AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Here you are, sir!

Awesome. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks, Tim!

Post #14   2/2/12 9:48:33AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean freedom from consequences.

Absolutely true - as we're seeing it played out with Volkman. He's being pretty crafty. He's agreeing to their terms, signing on to whatever they want him to commit. But he's also saying he's still going to send the message he wants to send. Essentially, if I've read him right, he's going to keep on saying stuff, he's just going to say it differently.

So he's engaging in this game of how far can I go, how far can I push it. He has a pulpit and, like it or not, he wants to use it. I also wonder if the school that employs him would have taken any action if someone hadn't complained. And how many complaints was it - one? two? a whole bunch?

Maybe I'll start a poll on whether Rogan gives him a post-fight interview next time

Post #15   2/2/12 10:45:02AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2