Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MFC Pavelich on farewell of fighters, ring

Print  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
The Maximum Fighting Championship announced the release of three fighters on Tuesday, including former lightweight champion Antonio McKee, who was officially cut after missing weight by seven pounds for his title defence last Friday in Edmonton.

Also let go by the Edmonton-based organization was his opponent Brian Cobb, who lost to McKee in what ended up being a three-round, non-title catchweight bout in the co-main event of MFC 32: Bitter Rivals, as well as James Haddad, who were the other fighters to miss weight but by smaller margins.

McKee was set to defend his belt before coming in well over the 155-pound target at the weigh-ins last Thursday. He was immediately stripped of his belt and MFC owner/president Mark Pavelich said after his "farewell fight" the following day he would never fight in the MFC again, "even if he wins by flying armbar or knockout."

"And I’m not like Dana White," added Pavelich, referring to the UFC president as having given second chances to fighters he’s said would never fight for him again. "When I say 'never,' I mean never. My never is forever."

"I was thoroughly disgusted by the lack of professionalism that Antonio McKee showed towards the belt he was scheduled to defend as well as the (MFC as an organization)," Pavelich said."It was unacceptable behaviour for a champion to demonstrate. On top of that, Antonio never really apologized for missing weight that badly. That was the end of things for him with the MFC."

Also bidding farewell to the MFC on Friday was the ring itself -- the promotion will be switching to a cage on a full-time basis.

The circular cage -- ironically nicknamed "The Ring" -- that will be in use for all future events was first employed at MFC 29 last April for their first show in Ontario, whose province’s athletic commission requires all MMA fights to take place in the cage.

The MFC, which continued to use the ring for its shows in Edmonton as it had for all of its existence, did so for the last time on Friday. Pavelich, who has always maintained that the ring is better especially for the live spectators because it’s better for viewing the action, says their permanent move to the fenced enclosure is a good sign for fans, especially those in Ontario.

"People should be excited in Ontario, because if I’m switching after 12 years of being the biggest advocator on the planet to be inside a ring ... it’s your province that doesn’t allow us to fight in a ring, so that must mean I’m making plans to come back to Ontario if I’m ready to abandon the best apparatus possible to fight on."

NOTES:
Fights in the MFC are now also being scored with the much-talked-about half-point system that was put into place by Edmonton’s athletic commission, where judges can award scores with half-points. Pavelich said he’s not opposed to it, but is not sure it will make a big difference. ...

Pavelich said the commission was looking at other new ideas, such as letting fans and fighters know how judges scored a round after each one is completed. He said he was in favour of that change.

link

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #1   2/1/12 12:08:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
I am curious to see if this half point system will be of any benefit. I dont quite understand the upside as incompetent judges will have another thing to confuse them.

Letting fans and fighters know the scores after each round is something I have been a fan of for years. I hope they, and other MMA orgs, start doing this

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   2/1/12 12:10:27PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles
Letting fans and fighters know the scores after each round is something I have been a fan of for years. I hope they, and other MMA orgs, start doing this

The only downfall with letting fighter's know the score after each round, it can cause them to sand-bag late rounds if their up enough in points.

Post #3   2/1/12 12:27:02PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Bubbles

The only downfall with letting fighter's know the score after each round, it can cause them to sand-bag late rounds if their up enough in points.

while true, it already happens fairly often as it is. there are many times we hear the corner men telling his fighter they are up 2 rounds to none. the corner men can refuse to know the scorecards if they choose to

Post #4   2/1/12 1:53:27PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Bubbles

while true, it already happens fairly often as it is. there are many times we hear the corner men telling his fighter they are up 2 rounds to none. the corner men can refuse to know the scorecards if they choose to

That's not a case of the corner actually knowing the score though. They are guessing in most cases.

As far as letting people know the score between rounds goes, I'm not sure that will do anything to help. It does nothing to actually improve the quality of judging. It does make the judges accountable, but I don't see how it will make them any more accountable by showing their scores 3/5 times versus all at once. It would however change a couple of things. The crowd would surely react to the judges scores each round. Although they sometimes need a dose of reality, it's bad enough that they have to judge a fight with cheers/boos behind them...I don't want them doing their job based off of crowd reaction any more than what already exists. Secondly, the audience would know the actual score while they're watching the fight. That could be good in some cases, I suppose, but it could also take the fun out of some final rounds of a competitive fight. IMO the disadvantages of live scores outweigh the advantages.

Post #5   2/1/12 3:53:32PM