Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mixed Martials and Boxing: Action Plenty

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I am a boxing aficionado, but I understand the appeal of the Mixed Martial Artist. While boxing has the advantage in the action department, it is not that Mixed Martial Arts is devoid of action or suspense.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/19/07 7:42:25AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
it was a noble attempt at supporting MMA but I think he's wrong about a few things. Chuck Liddell is a household name at this point, not only does MMA have their "Mike Tysons" but they have them in multiple different weight classes. Fedor - undefeated for years, Liddel is appearing in mainstream television and on the covers of magazines, he wins almost every single fight by knockout. Wanderlei was on that list up until recently, holding his title for something like 4 and a half years undefeated, knocking out nearly everyone he faced. Gomi, the list goes on.

I also don't really see how boxing could possibly be considered to "have the edge in the action department".

Last edited 5/19/07 8:38PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   5/19/07 4:12:24PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,649-1,474
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

it was a noble attempt at supporting MMA but I think he's wrong about a few things. Chuck Liddell is a household name at this point, not only does MMA have their "Mike Tysons" but they have them in multiple different weight classes. Fedor - undefeated for years, Liddel is appearing in mainstream television and on the covers of magazines, he wins almost every single fight by knockout. Wanderlei was on that list up until recently, holding his title for something like 4 and a half years undefeated, knocking out nearly everyone he faced. Gomi, the list goes on.

I also don't really see how boxing could possibly be considered to "have the edge in the action department".

couldn't have said it better myself!

Post #3   5/19/07 8:38:47PM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Hell ya, whenever I watch a boxing match it seems to last 8 or 10 rounds or it goes the distance. Maybe I don't watch enough to see a good knockout.

MMA Though you know you only have a limited time to seal the deal, so you gotta push the pace.

Post #4   5/22/07 2:45:37PM