Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Open to Nate Marquardt, Not Anthony Johnson

Print  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
CHICAGO -- UFC President Dana White confirmed on Thursday that Anthony Johnson has been released from the UFC and won't be welcome back until he can prove that he has put his weight problems behind him. But White wasn't quite so adamant that another fighter he released, Nate Marquardt, wouldn't be welcome to return to the Octagon.

With Johnson, White said missing weight by 11 pounds at UFC 142 made it clear that he doesn't belong in the UFC. White also specifically ruled out the possibility of Johnson fighting for Strikeforce, and said that Johnson needs to go to another promotion, make weight and win fights before the UFC would consider giving him another chance.

"He needs to go fight somewhere else, get some wins, come in on weight," White said of Johnson. "He needs to prove to me that he can be a professional, show up on weight and do the things he needs to do. If he does, we can talk."

When asked about Marquardt, however, White sounded open to the possibility that he could re-sign with the UFC. Marquardt last fought at UFC 128 in March, defeating Dan Miller, but was cut by the UFC after his testosterone replacement therapy resulted in a high testosterone count, causing the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission to cancel his fight. White was furious at the time, but several months later he sounds willing to forgive and forget.

"I don't dislike Nate," White said. "I like Nate very much. We'll see what happens."

LINK

Post #1   1/27/12 2:58:23AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Not surprised. The Marquardt cut was a decision that wasn't really thought out. And Johnson left the UFC 2 weeks ago. Give it some time and I think Dana will come around (If Johnson can get his shit together that is)

Post #2   1/27/12 3:18:11AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:
As far as I know, and I'm not 100% sure so don't call it fact, Marquardt's failing of the test for high levels of testosterone even though it was TRT and the commission knew about it.... Because his Therapeutic Use Exemption did not get approved prior to his dirty test, he now can not be approved for a TUE for TRT by the NSAC for the rest of his career. Same as a Mo Lawal. So if it really was a big enough factor that he needed it to fight, we'll soon find out if he tries to fight in the US, as I'm 99% sure, even with the circumstances, a dirty test is a dirty test even if you did the right paperwork, because it was denied.

LINK to explain what I'm referring to if you haven't read it in the General MMA Talk forum

Post #3   1/27/12 11:07:58AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Dana always changes his mind. But, Idc if Nate is back or not, I'm past it.

Last edited 1/27/12 12:29PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   1/27/12 12:28:09PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,978-1,663
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I always thought there was something more to the Marquardt cut then we would know about. It just seemed like such an extreme, hasty decision, although it did blow that main event and Dana hates that shit. Marquardt is far too good to fight anywhere but the UFC, I expect him to KO Yoshida quickly.

Post #5   1/27/12 12:34:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I would like to see nate back in the Ufc ASAP

Post #6   1/27/12 1:27:40PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:817-397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree they should give Nate another shot. I was surprised by the way that all went down, given the circumstances.

Post #7   1/27/12 1:43:21PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
i dont totally disagree with canning him on the spot, but it is understandable (one of the very few instances where Dana's rash behaviour is acceptable).

i would like to see Nate back, but im not going to hold my breath.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   1/27/12 6:06:21PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Chips:
Give it six months, they will both be back.

Nate can't get a fight outside of the UFC, and I doubt any cans will volunteer to get crushed by Rumble either. Dana makes Johnson test cut for 185, and let's him back in.

Post #9   1/27/12 6:07:47PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is pure speculation on my part so I hope it doesn't offend anyone.

I'm sure there are people, maybe even fighters, with a real hormone deficiency problem.

However, TRT seems like it would be a very convenient way to "legally juice."

Just my 2 cents.

Post #10   1/27/12 7:01:33PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

As far as I know, and I'm not 100% sure so don't call it fact, Marquardt's failing of the test for high levels of testosterone even though it was TRT and the commission knew about it.... Because his Therapeutic Use Exemption did not get approved prior to his dirty test, he now can not be approved for a TUE for TRT by the NSAC for the rest of his career. Same as a Mo Lawal. So if it really was a big enough factor that he needed it to fight, we'll soon find out if he tries to fight in the US, as I'm 99% sure, even with the circumstances, a dirty test is a dirty test even if you did the right paperwork, because it was denied.

LINK to explain what I'm referring to if you haven't read it in the General MMA Talk forum

If that is the case, Marquardt is already past his prime, and will quickly deteriorate as a fighter.

Post #11   1/29/12 8:03:04PM