Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bas Rutten Says Alistair Overeem Has A Glass Jaw, Will Lose To Junior Dos Santos

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"I think Alistair, everything he does is one single shot because he knows he's got that glass jaw as well. He's been knocked out quite a few times in the past, even by Chuck Liddell as well. Every time when he punches, one hand is up. He throws single shots; he doesn't throw combinations. You saw that when he fought [Fabricio] Werdum. Werdum was actually tagging him more than he did to Werdum. I think that Junior dos Santos, with his combinations, his reach, I think he's going to tag him and he's going to throw combos and I think that yeah, he's going to take this fight."

- Bas Rutten

LINK

Post #1   1/22/12 11:40:14AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I don't like the way Bas is using Chuck as an example of Alistair having a glass jaw. In his prime Chuck could knock anyone out an even now he'd still ruin someones night with a well placed shot.

Can't really argue with him about Alistair not throwing combos though!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   1/22/12 12:09:48PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Not saying Bas would show bias due to his Golden Glory allegiance in light of the Reem/GG ordeal, but still, 2 months ago....

According to Bas, contrary to what Alistair is telling everyone, it was him and Not Golden Glory who are to blame for the situation and that the split came because Overeem has no loyalty to the people who were behind him through the good and bad times in his career.

“It’s a money thing. He simply doesn’t want to pay the people who made him. When he lost three fights in a row…well, like pretty much five, I mean, he lost, won, lost three times in a row, won, and lost again…and nobody wanted to have him. But his management kept pushing and using the power that they have because they have other great fighters. Like, for example [they would say],’If you want Semmy Schilt to fight, then you have to take Alistair as well.’ It’s funny how fighters think,” Rutten explains. “When it goes bad with them, their team is everything to them, and they love their team. In interviews after they win a fight, they say: “I owe everything to my team”. Then when the management starts to put great fights together for them, directing their careers and the fighter gets better and better, some of them simply can’t handle it, and it gets to their head.”

“I KNOW what Golden Glory did for him. He couldn’t punch or kick when he came to them, and I mean, HE COULDN’T PUNCH OR KICK! Some fighters get big and then forget who was fighting for them when they were losing.

LINK

Post #3   1/22/12 12:20:54PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Chips:
I love ya Bas, but you're letting your emotions speak for you...not with his opinion necessarily, but with the verbiage.

Post #4   1/22/12 12:44:24PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 36-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,481-954
Chips:
Bas says alot of things

Post #5   1/22/12 1:19:54PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,445-841
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Bas is right about one thing though, Overeem's defense and ability to take adversity is quite a few notches below his offense. He's always one punch from losing to Joe Contender. I would never put him in my parlay against anybody with a punchers chance.

Post #6   1/22/12 3:17:36PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,545-881
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Bas is right about one thing though, Overeem's defense and ability to take adversity is quite a few notches below his offense. He's always one punch from losing to Joe Contender. I would never put him in my parlay against anybody with a punchers chance.

agreed. im picking jds, but not bc bas told me to

Post #7   1/22/12 4:17:53PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
Let them fight and we will all see =) nuff said

Post #8   1/22/12 5:41:27PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Chips:
Bas has a good point. Combinations in a striking match will set up the cleaner punches, and it's not like Alistair pushes a hard enough pace to gas Dos Santos and punish him late.

Post #9   1/22/12 6:17:30PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,445-841
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'll decide two hour before the fight locks by flipping a coin.

Post #10   1/22/12 6:23:34PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i dont think overeem has a glass jaw. i think at the level that he's fighting at, all the top HW's can KO anybody. i think bas is still butt hurt about the whole SF and golden glory thing. overeem has just as much of a chance to KO dos santos as dos santos has to KO overeem

Post #11   1/22/12 7:17:54PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham
Overeem has just as much of a chance to KO dos santos as dos santos has to KO overeem

STRONGLY disagree. JDS has a way stronger chin than Overeem IMO. Overeem's chin might not be glass, but it's also not exactly granite.

Post #12   1/22/12 10:29:02PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,649-899
Chips:
Does it even matter? Defense at heavyweight tends to be a non-factor anyway, because one stiff punch can shatter the aggregate. JDS and Overeem both hit so hard they can sink the Titanic, and an impact shot on the noggin from either would drop a bear.

This is heavyweight, people, where 99% of the division is fat dudes looking to break somebody else's face before their own is broken. This is the division where the most memorable display of BJJ in the last two years was not technique; it was the opposite of technique when Frank Mir rolled over Big Nog's arm like a tank. Sure, Overeem and JDS at least have a modicum of skill relative to the rest of the division, but it all comes down to who gets hit first.

Bas's point could be right; Bas could be wrong. (It's probably just Bas hatin' on a defector.) In the end, for me, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited 1/22/12 11:45PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   1/22/12 11:44:02PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I find it funny Bas is accusing Overeem of getting a big head. Bas used to never insult fighters - so where is this coming from? Let me see...

Bas has become a household name in the last three years. Prior to that - only hard core mma fans knew who Bas was and what he did in MMA. I get the feeling it is not only Overeem who is getting a big head - if that was truly the case.

Last edited 1/22/12 11:49PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   1/22/12 11:46:22PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think the people who think that any HW can KO any other HW are underestimating just how much punishment some of these guys can absorb. Have any of you guys watched Mark Hunt take a headkick from CroCop without blinking an eye, or watched Mike Russow get punched in the head for 13 minutes by Todd Duffee before knocking him out with one shot?

There are absolutely guys that can eat the best shots that any Heavyweight has to offer and keep moving forward. It may not be super common, but I disagree with this notion that any HW will KO any other HW if they just land clean. Some guys can take way, way more than others, and some guys can take what seems to be an inhuman amount of punishment without it even phasing them.

Post #15   1/23/12 2:56:14AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2