Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Strikeforce's Daniel Cormier still unsure of timetable for return

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Seven months after he broke his right hand, Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier (9-0 MMA, 6-0 SF) is still unsure of when he'll be ready to fight Josh Barnett (31-5 MMA, 2-0 SF).

"I would imagine they would wait, and I think they should," Cormier told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I think Strikeforce needs some closure to that division."

Cormier is today scheduled for an MRI, and he expects to get a final word on when and if he can fight. Until then, he can't commit to any timetable for return.

"I'm not sure if I re-hurt myself at some point, but when it is completely healed, we're ready to go," he said.

As finalists in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, Cormier and Barnett were expected to headline an event scheduled for March 3 in Columbus, Ohio. But on Tuesday, officials announced a women's bantamweight title fight between champ Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey as the top-billed fight.

LINK

Post #1   1/18/12 8:40:59AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I don't want to wait anymore for this fight.

Post #2   1/18/12 2:00:05PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I don't want to wait anymore for this fight.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #3   1/18/12 3:44:14PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Did anyone think this tourney would take less than a year to finish? The way things are looking, who knows if it even will be finished?

See, Cormier is a replacement fighter who stepped in Alistair Overeem's place after The Reem left Strikeforce. If Cormier were to win, the fact would remain that he would have done so without fighting in every round of the tournament.

Then you have Josh Barnett... The only MMA fighter who is only able to compete in states and countries where the AC's are actually the ones hooking up his D-Bol.

How much cred will a HWGP win carry? This is a tournament for a weight class that no longer exists in a promotion that should be dead.

Post #4   1/18/12 8:17:43PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Did anyone think this tourney would take less than a year to finish? The way things are looking, who knows if it even will be finished?

See, Cormier is a replacement fighter who stepped in Alistair Overeem's place after The Reem left Strikeforce. If Cormier were to win, the fact would remain that he would have done so without fighting in every round of the tournament.

Then you have Josh Barnett... The only MMA fighter who is only able to compete in states and countries where the AC's are actually the ones hooking up his D-Bol.

How much cred will a HWGP win carry? This is a tournament for a weight class that no longer exists in a promotion that should be dead.

I know that his fight with Monson wasn't technically the reserve bout since Del Rosario dropped out, but to me, for all intents and purposes, it still seemed like a reserve bout. To me, that's just as good as a first round fight.

And I concur about this fight not taking place early enough. I can't wait to see these two lock up, but at the same time, I want Cormier to be as healthy as possible. He's a monster and a definite future UFC contender.

Last edited 1/20/12 10:36AM server time by gartface
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/20/12 10:36:11AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Cormier and Barny,I think needs to happen. That fight would be crazy.

Post #6   1/20/12 1:40:55PM