Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fighter Pay Explained By Former UFC Fighter Sean McCorkle

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Sean McCorkle's UFC career fits a somewhat standard UFC model. He was able to manage a win over Mark Hunt in his promotional debut, dropped back-to-back fights to Stefan Struve and Christian Morecraft and was released. He fits comfortably into that mid-tier fighter who couldn't quite make it in the UFC. In other words, he is very similar to the fighters in the range that the recent ESPN "Outside the Lines" feature focused on in terms of potentially being underpaid.

McCorkle hit up The Underground to defend the UFC's pay structure and to give some details about how he was paid during his time in the promotion:

During my 3 fight stint with the UFC the paid me exactly 150% what they were contractually obligated to pay me. That is without a KO/Sub/Fight of the night bonus of any kind. That is even though I lost 2 of my 3 fights.

I got a discretionary bonus after all 3 of my fights, even an amount equal to my what would have been my win bonus after my embarrassing performance against Stephan Struve. I was told that was given to me based strictly on the effort I put in to promoting the fight, and not because of how I performed.

I am currently unaware of any pro sports franchise that pays any player more money than they are obligated to do so.

Sponsorship wise during those 3 fights I made an average each fight of about 75% of what I was contracted to be paid by the UFC. So if my purse for fighting was $10,000 I made approximately $7,500 in sponsors on average.

Take an average fighter's reported pay for a televised fight, and double it, and you'll have a rough number of the amount he made on that fight. So if a guy is reported at $12,000 to show, and $12,000 to win, chances are he'll make around $50,000 by the time it's all said and done for that fight.

LINK

Post #1   1/17/12 7:15:35PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
gah you beat me to it.

glad to hear a mid level fighter come out and say this, rather than a PPV draw

here is the whole post

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   1/17/12 7:33:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I had been saying in some posts awhile back about how it would be nice to get a fighter to break down their pay/sponsors/bills.

Post #3   1/17/12 7:47:19PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i am very impressed by the things he says. coming from a fighter that was by no means successful in the ufc, then get cut, and to still break down the pay and make the ufc look really pretty good in the whole deal. he had his chance to bad mouth the ufc and didnt take it. im glad to see the fighters are getting more money than i thought.

Post #4   1/17/12 8:03:51PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
To me, this means alot more than the thoughts of Liddell, Griffin, and Serra in the UFC-Version of that interview. We know those guys are former champs and all got paid nicely. However, McCorkle went 1-2 in the UFC and got cut. He's the kind of guy I figured the ESPN piece would be geared toward. However, if his article is accurate, then the UFC is even more generous than I thought it was.

Very interesting how he broke down his fights based on earnings: Struve, Hunt, every non-UFC fight combined, and then Morecraft (And the Morecraft purse wasn't much behind all his other fights combined).

Now, why couldn't ESPN have gotten McCorkle to speak instead of Shamrock? Oh yeah, that's right...because ESPN had no intention of producing an objective, unbiased article and Shamrock will jump at any chance to bash the UFC.

Big ups to Big Sexy

OH YEAH: If McCorkle got bonused that much for promoting the Struve fight the way he did, can you imagine how much Sonnen made for the Silva fight?

I imagine that if word of that spreads you're gonna hear alot more trash talk towards opponets in the future, haha

Last edited 1/17/12 8:26PM server time by ChokeUout
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   1/17/12 8:14:28PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 33-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,317-851
Chips:
Hope to see Big Sexy back in the UFC soon. I think he could throw around some strikeforce cast-aways! Plus hes in the new game!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #6   1/17/12 9:21:04PM   

calitrees

MMA Regular

calitrees Avatar

Career:1,344-791
Chips:
Didnt like hime at all till i read this...ill be rooting for him in his next fight wherever it is

Last edited 1/17/12 9:35PM server time by calitrees
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/17/12 9:35:25PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I would have like to see some actual numbers from mccorkle

Post #8   1/17/12 10:07:17PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Hope to see Big Sexy back in the UFC soon. I think he could throw around some strikeforce cast-aways! Plus hes in the new game!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah he should be back at some point, esppecially with helping the ufc out on this topic. More importantly, when is this game coming out so I can find out how jds/mccorkle would have gone down

Post #9   1/18/12 7:04:41AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

im sure he legally cant say how much he made

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   1/18/12 1:32:13PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

Using math, he did give actual numbers.

His first two fights were under AC's that don't release salary information, but we can see he was at $10k against Struve.

Based on the UFC's pay scale we can assume $8k, $10k, $10k was his show money. As he won his first fight (and bumped up his pay scale) he also earned $8k for that first win over Mark Hunt.

That puts us at $36k reported.

He says the UFC paid him "exactly" 150% of what they were contractually obligated to pay which adds an extra $18k in discretionary bonuses to put the total to $54k.

He also says he earned approximately 75% in sponsorship money of what he was contracted to be paid by the UFC which would be an extra $27k totaling $81k.

So $81k is your actual number, for 3 fights in 6 months. $36k is all that was `reported`.

Post #11   1/18/12 1:45:58PM