Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Miragliotta stands behind stand-ups, rules out any UFC involvement in decisions

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dan Miragliotta hasn't yet sat down to watch the replay of this past Saturday's UFC 142 bout between Vitor Belfort and Anthony Johnson, but as the contest's referee, he remembers it vividly in his mind.

"If there's two guys on the ground that aren't doing anything or if they're in a takedown position and they're just very tired so they're leaning against each other and they're not going for a single-leg or they're not trying something different to change their position, I give them some time," Miragliotta today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I warn them, and then I'll separate them."

Miragliotta's critics say his three restart calls, two that came with Johnson in top position and one with "Rumble" in a takedown position against the cage, were unfair and far too hasty, but the referee said he felt his decisions were all warranted.

"[Johnson] established position and then just held his wrist and laid on top of him," Miragliotta said. "He had that one real nice, heavy punch that kind of busted up Vitor's face in the very early beginning of the first round, and then after that his takedowns had just kind of stopped."

Some critics suggested the rowdy HSBC Arena crowd had something to do with Miragliotta's calls. After all, the arena was decidedly pro-Belfort and made it clear they weren't enjoying Johnson's time on top.

Miragliotta, a veteran of big fights all over the world, said that simply isn't true.

"Honestly, the way the fans were screaming and hollering for the fight, I don't think it would have mattered if it was up or down," Miragliotta said. "They were just into the fight. I don't listen to the crowd. They don't bother me."

LINK

Post #1   1/17/12 4:19:45PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I don't remember having a problem with the stand ups. I remember saying they need to be stood up and then shortly after they were stood up but I can't remember how many times I thought that.

Was it actually controversial? If so, i was oblivious to it.

Post #2   1/17/12 4:50:15PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

I don't remember having a problem with the stand ups. I remember saying they need to be stood up and then shortly after they were stood up but I can't remember how many times I thought that.

The final stand-up seemed early to me, but people saying all 3 restarts were controversial are most likely just Rumble fans. I'm no ref though and all 3 restarts came from a neutral position, albeit I thought Rumble was working enough to not get the last stand-up.

Post #3   1/17/12 4:55:58PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
Yeah I had no problems with the stand-ups. Johnson wasn't doing anything...

Post #4   1/17/12 4:56:20PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,733-1,430
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dan was too quick with the stand ups, I didnt approve.

Post #5   1/17/12 5:05:26PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,677-1,658
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I hate stand ups so I'm a bit biased, but the final stand up was after just a few seconds on the ground! I think Dan was reacting to the crowd more than anything imagined inactivity.

Post #6   1/17/12 5:14:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i think all 3 were a little quick. imo another 10 seconds of inactivity would warrant a standup. either way though i got 7 points off that fight so i cant complain too much

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   1/17/12 5:37:12PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by MaxOne

The final stand-up seemed early to me, but people saying all 3 restarts were controversial are most likely just Rumble fans. I'm no ref though and all 3 restarts came from a neutral position, albeit I thought Rumble was working enough to not get the last stand-up.

TBH, I didn't even really have a problem with the 3rd one. I was looking at it as he had been stood up twice before for not advancing position or staying active enough so he stood him up when he saw little to nothing happening from Rumble

Last edited 1/17/12 5:45PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/17/12 5:43:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Rumble only did anything the first time he had Vitor on the ground, other times he did nothing.

Against the cage, Vitor did all the damage, Johnson nothing.

The last standup, Johnson did nothing.

Miragliotta has always been quick for the standup. Or maybe he was working against Johnson b/c they were in Brazil and Johnson missed weight.

Post #9   1/17/12 5:55:38PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:
I think the stand ups might have been a little premature, especially the final two, I don't feel to bad as Johnson was indicating like he wasn't going to do much while on top position.

Post #10   1/17/12 6:03:57PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm not much of a fan for stand-ups at all. If a guys in my guard and you stand us up, you're helping HIM.

Anyway....

All of the stand-ups were WAY early. Much earlier than the norm which I think is usually too early.

I didn't have a problem with it though because I was pissed at Rumble.

I actually assumed that Mirgliotta had a bias against Rumble and was accidentally/purposefully treating him unfairly.

Post #11   1/18/12 1:28:52AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,054-613
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by MaxOne

I am an unbiased observer on this topic and find it to be total bs. The standups were way too early as rumble was just about to spring his trap. We will never know now what his trap was, only that it was inevitable barring outside influence. Rumble was just another victim of someone being held down by "the man".

Post #12   1/18/12 9:05:12AM