Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC champ St-Pierre anticipates November return, prefers to fight Diaz

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Following knee surgery for a torn ACL and damaged meniscus, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre currently is planning for a November return to the cage.

St-Pierre laid out the plans on Monday's new edition of "Inside MMA" on HDNet.

And upon his return, St-Pierre said he'd rather fight Nick Diaz than his upcoming UFC 143 opponent, Carlos Condit.

"Hard training will be in July, and fighting again – the timing to get back – I would say beginning of November," he said. "Late October or the beginning of November, that'd be great."

Now, upon his returned, St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) hopes Diaz is the one holding the interim title.

"Carlos Condit is a very nice guy ... and I like him a lot, but the reason I wish for Nick Diaz to win that fight is because I want to fight Nick Diaz," he said. "I hope the best man will win, and if the best man is Nick Diaz, I will appreciate it more because it will be a better buildup for the fight."

LINK

Post #1   1/17/12 10:09:22AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:
I prefer you to...fight. Stop being injured and get out there and crush fools, damnit! I always find GSP exciting, even if he LnPs. His shots are perfect, his set ups are on a different level, and when he is forced to stand up like with Kos, he reminds us that he can still bang if he feels like it. That aside, a champ fighting once a year, which would be the case for 2012, is very frustrating. I don't care who it's against, I just want him to defend that title.

Post #2   1/17/12 10:19:01AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I prefer you to...fight. Stop being injured and get out there and crush fools, damnit! I always find GSP exciting, even if he LnPs. His shots are perfect, his set ups are on a different level, and when he is forced to stand up like with Kos, he reminds us that he can still bang if he feels like it. That aside, a champ fighting once a year, which would be the case for 2012, is very frustrating. I don't care who it's against, I just want him to defend that title.

Regarding GSP's abilities, I feel the same. It is as though he is pulling his punches and going easy on his opponents. I would love and hate for GSP to be angry. Lord knows what could happen to his opponents.

Post #3   1/17/12 11:27:17AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
I like GSP but I think he would have an easier time with Condit. Personally I think a GSP/Condit matchup is 50/50...it could go either way. If GSP does eventually fight Diaz....he will surely lose his belt. Weather it is on their feet or on the ground GSP is dog meat against Diaz. Diaz will beat him ruthlessly on their feet...and on the ground I see GSP tapping to an armbar or triangle. Be careful what you wish for Georges.

Post #4   1/17/12 1:25:42PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I like GSP but I think he would have an easier time with Condit. Personally I think a GSP/Condit matchup is 50/50...it could go either way. If GSP does eventually fight Diaz....he will surely lose his belt. Weather it is on their feet or on the ground GSP is dog meat against Diaz. Diaz will beat him ruthlessly on their feet...and on the ground I see GSP tapping to an armbar or triangle. Be careful what you wish for Georges.

HUH????? what has nick diaz shown you to do this to GSP, since to the most dominant WW ever is dog meat compared to diaz, has nick ever faced a dynamic striker who wont just stand in front of him like penn did, GSP will be moving the whole time and can throw kicks, not to mention this fight goes where ever GSP wants it, nick will not stop one of his TDs the entire match, lets not forget gsp has a black belt in JJ too. he will not be subbed, I see the majority of this fight being fought in the clinch will GSP will throw diaz like a rag doll. its deff gonna be a good fight but lets not forget how badly GSP has beat everyone he has faced since the 1st serra fight

Post #5   1/17/12 2:12:35PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
It looks like GSP will not come back anytime soon and the winner of Diaz vs Condit will likely defend title or put the interim belt on line at least one time - thus issuing a concern for whom the official welter weight title belongs to...

I would not be surprise if the ufc keeps Condit or Diaz on the back burner and make them settle for the interim belt until GSP makes his return. However, as a fan of sports in general, I think it would be fair to strip GSP of the official title once the winner of Diaz vs Condit has defended the interim title one time or has put it on the line at least one time. >>>And if this was the case, which I doubt it would be, GSP can have an immediate challenge for the belt once he returns.

Post #6   1/17/12 3:38:37PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
Diaz will be the hardest fight for GSP, Nick will make him fight and they both would make a lot of $$$$$

Post #7   1/17/12 4:38:42PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I would not be surprise if the ufc keeps Condit or Diaz on the back burner and make them settle for the interim belt until GSP makes his return. However, as a fan of sports in general, I think it would be fair to strip GSP of the official title once the winner of Diaz vs Condit has defended the interim title one time or has put it on the line at least one time.

I agree and think, without a doubt, if the Diaz/Condit winner has to defend one time, GSP will be stripped. 1 year is generally a good timeframe, and eyeing a November return is over 1 1/2 years.

Last edited 1/17/12 4:44PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/17/12 4:44:26PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I still think the diaz vs condit winner will defend at least once before they get gsp

Post #9   1/17/12 5:10:31PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I still think the diaz vs condit winner will defend at least once before they get gsp

whether the winner depends on, you guessed it, injuries. If the winner is good, they will defend, if the winner breaks a hand or eye socket, it may not happen before GSP gets back

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #10   1/17/12 5:55:37PM