Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

After tough loss, UFC on FX 1 headliner Jim Miller hopes for quicker road to contention

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Jim Miller kept secret the fact that he was suffering from mono and had developed a kidney infection cutting weight to fight Ben Henderson five months ago.

Still, he blames himself for not fighting better.

"I've never felt like that and hope to never feel like that again, inside or outside the octagon," Miller told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Miller threw submission attempt after submission attempt at Henderson when they fought in the co-main event of UFC on Versus 5. He said a kneebar was his in the second round. But the strength to finish the joint lock wasn't there; he was tired after two rounds of warm-up backstage and too debilitated to hold on.

Any other night, and who knows?

"I stepped into the octagon, and there was never that tingle, that feeling of adrenaline," he said. "So I knew something was off, and I feel I should have adapted to it. I should have fought more conservatively and tried to get dominant positions and not expend so much energy hunting for that finish the whole fight."

LINK

Post #1   1/17/12 10:06:31AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
I like Miller for this fight against Melvin, plus he looks like Captain Morgan in that picture. I'm not convinced he could beat Bendo though, even without a kidney infection.

Post #2   1/17/12 10:25:29AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I like Miller for this fight against Melvin, plus he looks like Captain Morgan in that picture. I'm not convinced he could beat Bendo though, even without a kidney infection.

I agree, Bendo is just a monster with his sub defense.

Post #3   1/17/12 10:56:20AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Melvin is one of those inconsistent fighters whereby you never know what to expect from him. If he is ON though, Miller may be kissing the canvas in the first round.

Last edited 1/17/12 12:01PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   1/17/12 12:00:42PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
I hope Jim can rebound from his loss to Benson. At his best he should be able to easily beat Melvin. He wasn't at his best against Henderson for sure. I don't think it would have been so one sided if he was. The Miller brothers are animals....they need to learn how to finish a fight though. They can hang with just about anyone but they fail to finish. I am hoping Jim comes out like gangbusters and sends Melvin home quick. He needs to get him down and submit him.

Post #5   1/17/12 1:22:43PM