Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC open to Erick Silva appeal; Dana White points to need for instant replay

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,621-1,343
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Welterweight Erick Silva may not have left Saturday night's UFC 142 event as a winner, but he'll be paid like one.

At the evening's post-event press conference at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Silva will receive his win bonus despite being saddled with a disqualification loss.

"We're going to pay him like he won the fight," White told MMAjunkie.com.

Silva (13-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) took on Carlo Prater (30-10-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) on the evening's main card and appeared to notch a 29-second TKO win after landing a powerful knee to the body and following up with punches on the floor. However, after referee Mario Yamasaki waved off the fight, he revealed he was ruling the contest a disqualification as Silva's blows were deemed to have illegally landed to the back of the head. While a referee could simply deduct a point for the infraction, Prater was in no shape to continue, forcing the DQ.

White said he disagreed with Yamasaki's assessment of the fight-ending sequence, prompting him to award the win bonus.

LINK

Post #1   1/15/12 7:31:48AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Chips:
Instant replay?

No reason not to use it. Those feeds are playing back in the stadium as soon as they are for the home audience. With all that delay after the fight was stopped, they could have watched the tape repeatedly and made the right call.

That was heartbreaking to see Erick Silva get robbed by Yamasaki like that. Screw my 11 points (and I am sure the many others that had Silva to win), that kid needs that win on his record.

Post #2   1/15/12 7:35:38AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I am for it
After fight is over the ref could see if he miss saw something and change the outcome right there in the cage

Post #3   1/15/12 10:43:30AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,315-1,557
Chips:
I agree with instant replays. I also feel they need to figure out a different outcome when someone does get DQed, I feel Silva did land three or four to the back of Prater's head. I feel he should have been DQed....but I don't feel Carlo should get a win. Another case would be the Hamill/Jones fight. Jones should have been DQed....but Hamill should not have gotten a win. The only way a fighter should get a win during a fight that ends in a DQ is when he was actually winning the fight before the infraction took place. Maybe DQ and NC?

Post #4   1/15/12 11:01:53AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Does anyone think the injury to Prater affected Mario's decision to call it a DQ?

Silva was just too quick for Mario to even warn him about the back of the head, I know Silva knows not to hit there and he was just trying to be quick and throw punches while Prater is moving his head.

Post #5   1/15/12 12:33:43PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I mean Joe kept pressing Mario.

But Mario had to make the real time, quick flash call right there and for him in real time it looked like some were hitting the back of the head and that's what I thought.

I mean just think about in baseball when the ump called the runner safe in that no-hitter with the last out for Tiger's pitcher. He had to make a real time call, even though it was the wrong call.

Post #6   1/15/12 12:40:15PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I agree the instant replay should be used - and there should be one or two secondary refs to help make the ruling.

Post #7   1/15/12 1:40:11PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,516-899
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Instant replay in this case would have shown at least one punch/hammerfist directly to the back of the head.
Would the result of the fight be any different?

Post #8   1/15/12 2:06:25PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I saw one clear shot to the back of the head.
accidental.

most guys dont even get warned until the second one.

praters injury definitely played a role in marios decision.

Post #9   1/15/12 2:23:30PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:930-528
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Glad to see the UFC is treating it as if he won the fight, by giving him his win bonus and moving him up the ladder.

I think the instant replay would benefit the sport. There is only one ref seeing the fight, things can happen so fast, sometimes that can't see every little detail it becomes a questionable call for them, instant replay can help all that out.

Post #10   1/15/12 2:29:44PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,107-1,227
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think replay is needed in certain situations. My biggest complaint is the inconsistent calls from these refs. How many times have we seen punches to the back of the head not be called and then in another fight on the same card with a different ref they do get penalized. Same with grabbing the fence. I just want consistency

Post #11   1/15/12 3:47:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:
i agree with instant replay. i only saw 1 punch to the back of the head...even Rogan was grilling Yamasaki on the spot. i could have sworn Prater was complaining about his shoulder after the stoppage too, which means that 1 shot didnt cause the end of the fight.

i remember when Aldo TKO'd Gamburyan and he landed like 3 or 4 clear shots to the back of the head before the stoppage and nothing was made of it

speaking of Aldo, there should have been a point deducted from that fence grab. without that there would not be that KO and the entire outcome of the fight is different.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   1/15/12 4:49:13PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,115-870
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

i agree with instant replay. i only saw 1 punch to the back of the head...even Rogan was grilling Yamasaki on the spot. i could have sworn Prater was complaining about his shoulder after the stoppage too, which means that 1 shot didnt cause the end of the fight.

i remember when Aldo TKO'd Gamburyan and he landed like 3 or 4 clear shots to the back of the head before the stoppage and nothing was made of it

speaking of Aldo, there should have been a point deducted from that fence grab. without that there would not be that KO and the entire outcome of the fight is different.

so you are a fortune teller?

Post #13   1/15/12 9:42:00PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,621-1,343
Chips:
Even if we already had instant replay, if it was handled by the AC's, there would've been no instant replay in Rio. Dunno if the UFC would want to be the one handling it, sounds like a conflict of interest possiblly.

Post #14   1/15/12 9:52:36PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Does anyone think the injury to Prater affected Mario's decision to call it a DQ?

Silva was just too quick for Mario to even warn him about the back of the head, I know Silva knows not to hit there and he was just trying to be quick and throw punches while Prater is moving his head.

I think so 100%. Prater complaining about his injury influenced Mario's decision. I can't be sure but I believe in this.

Post #15   1/15/12 9:55:09PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2