Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ex-champ Alvarez not joining season-six Bellator tourney, targeted for Aoki fight

Print  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Former champion Eddie Alvarez won't be fighting for a chance to reclaim his Bellator lightweight title anytime soon.

Bellator chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that Alvarez won't take the final slot in the organization's season-six lightweight tournament.

Instead, he's working to book Alvarez for a rematch with DREAM champion Shinya Aoki.

Alvarez, a season-one tourney winner who held the title for two-and-a-half years, lost the belt to Michael Chandler in November at Bellator 58. The spirited and back-and-forth bout, which proved one of 2011's best, ended in a fourth-round submission victory for new champ and still-undefeated Alvarez.

LINK

Post #1   1/11/12 1:24:22PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:
I wonder if Eddie declined a spot in the tourney and is positioning himself to potentially make the jump to the UFC?

Last edited 1/11/12 1:37PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   1/11/12 1:35:19PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
With him losing the title to Chandler and no longer falling under the "champions clause" in his contract, he has 2 fights `or` until some time in October and his Bellator contract is over.

I don't know that he wants the title back due to contract stipulations.

Last edited 1/11/12 1:52PM server time by Kpro

Post #3   1/11/12 1:40:22PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
that would be cool to see him in the ufc, but i kinda doubt it. if the aoki rematch happens i'll definitely take alvarez for the win. i think we all know how to beat aoki now, stop the takedown. alvarez will probably pick him apart on the feet just like gilbert melendez did.

Post #4   1/11/12 2:14:20PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I wonder if Eddie declined a spot in the tourney and is positioning himself to potentially make the jump to the UFC?

God, I hope so...

Post #5   1/11/12 2:58:40PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Yeah, it's time to leave little brother and join Big Brother.

Post #6   1/11/12 3:02:23PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by emfleek

My thoughts as well.

Post #7   1/11/12 3:25:21PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by emfleek

BINGO

Post #8   1/11/12 3:43:38PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Sucks because I don't know what id rather see more,him jump to the ufc or chandler rematch!

Post #9   1/11/12 3:55:46PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by emfleek

as a fight fan I would agree, but bellator treats him like a king. He can take care of his family, make money, and be the big dog. To be honest who wouldn't want this? I just don't see him being succesful enough in the ufc to make it worth it for him and in the end it would be the wrong choice. Plus, the ufc takes care of their heavier fighters first, not their lighter fighters.

Post #10   1/11/12 6:00:13PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Alvarez said he’s looking forward to his future and proving again why he is one of the sport’s elites. He has two fights, or 10 months, left on his Bellator contract.

One change Alvarez has already made is in the area of management. Alvarez recently parted ways with longtime manager Monte Cox and hired Authentic Sports Management, a group that he said is taking an interest in his growth as a fighter and possibly positioning him for recognition and acknowledgement outside of the MMA world.

“There are more things as far as PR that I want to plan for,” Alvarez said. “They (his new management team) set you up for the future. That’s very important to me. I have children and a family.”

Right now, Alvarez is focused on Bellator, but a lot of possibilities are on his mind.
“We have been talking about a bunch of different options,” Alvarez said.

Like many of his colleagues, he’s heard about a possible MMA tournament series being produced in affiliation with Caesars Entertainment Group in 2012. The series will reportedly award the winner of each weight class a hefty prize of $1 million dollars. Competing in that event is on his radar.

“I have definitely heard about it,” Alvarez said. “But I can’t think about anything. I have an obligation to Bellator. I am going to fulfill my obligation first and we will see what happens from there.”

LINK

Post #11   1/11/12 6:05:00PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by emfleek

as a fight fan I would agree, but bellator treats him like a king. He can take care of his family, make money, and be the big dog. To be honest who wouldn't want this? I just don't see him being succesful enough in the ufc to make it worth it for him and in the end it would be the wrong choice. Plus, the ufc takes care of their heavier fighters first, not their lighter fighters.

Well to be honest I think hes lost some street cred...Before he was able to walk around and talk smack like he could be the best..>And truthfully he had every right to make those claims even if we know it wasnt true...He knew we coudlnt say prove it...

His big problem now I would say is risking another loss to Chandler...which then his value would drop even more...Then the UFC would pay him nothing pretty much....

if I am Alvarez I beat Aoki and start screaming at UFC fighters and try to get a good paycheck..>Ask teh UFC to give him like 3 guys he can beat...

Actually bring in Alvarez and let him fight Cerrone...

Post #12   1/12/12 11:24:49AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Well to be honest I think hes lost some street cred...Before he was able to walk around and talk smack like he could be the best..>And truthfully he had every right to make those claims even if we know it wasnt true...He knew we coudlnt say prove it...

His big problem now I would say is risking another loss to Chandler...which then his value would drop even more...Then the UFC would pay him nothing pretty much....

if I am Alvarez I beat Aoki and start screaming at UFC fighters and try to get a good paycheck..>Ask teh UFC to give him like 3 guys he can beat...

Actually bring in Alvarez and let him fight Cerrone...

Alvarez isnt Kimbo Slice...he doesnt need any "street cred." no true MMA fighters is worried about how he is perceived by thugs

the rest i do kind of agree with

Last edited 1/12/12 1:29PM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #13   1/12/12 1:28:38PM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
gotta pick aoki again

Post #14   1/12/12 5:10:19PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:
Alvarez got tapped last time without even getting taken down. I doubt it ends any differently this go around.

Post #15   1/12/12 10:53:59PM