Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 142's Ricardo Funch happy to replace fellow lawman, eyes octagon redemption

Print  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
RIO DE JANEIRO – When Brazilian special-forces officer Paulo Thiago was forced to withdraw from this weekend's UFC 142 event, it only made sense that welterweight replacement Ricardo Funch (8-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) stepped in to face Mike Pyle (21-8-1 MMA, 4-3 UFC).

Sure, Funch isn't quite as well-known as Thiago, but as a recently commissioned police officer in his current residence of Ludlow, Mass., he's capable of carrying the shield.

"I was in the right place at the right time," Funch recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. "I had just won a fight, and Paulo Thiago got injured. Since I'm Brazilian and I have a passport and the UFC needed a quick replacement, it was this combination of factors that allowed me to come back."

You may remember Funch from his two previous UFC contests, a pair of losses to Claude Patrick and Johny Hendricks. If you don't, that's just fine, according to the 31-year-old. Funch now admits he probably wasn't ready for the UFC experience at the time he got the call.

LINK

Post #1   1/11/12 8:00:09AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I don't know anything about Funch but I do know Pyle is a damn good fighter. I like to see Pyle rack up some wins before he retires.

Post #2   1/11/12 12:09:56PM