Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brock Lesnar Could Have Been One of the Best

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Interesting article from Ryan McKinnell over at MMAWeekly. He details the rise and fall of Brock Lesnar, and the different MMA eras where certain styles dominated for certain periods of time.

LINK

Post #1   1/9/12 2:34:00PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
They could have built him up slower.

Post #2   1/9/12 2:58:34PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Great article!
It's really one of the more,for lack of a better word,"tragedies" of the sport so to say.
Back around 97 Brock probably would have been unbeaten for quiet a while.
To play devils advocate though, the argument could be made this applies to quiet a few fighters across the board. What makes Brock case so compelling though is that instead of keeping a steady track record he went up....And down rather fast.

Post #3   1/9/12 3:32:36PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
My opinion may not be popular, but Brock certainly could have been one of the best. Cain Velasquez was brought along MUCH slower than Brock. I wonder how Cain would have done against Mir, Herring and Couture for his second, third and fourth pro fights. JDS got a pretty stiff test in his first UFC fight against Werdum. But in spite of having more experience than Brock and Cain, he also fought guys like Gonzaga, Yvel, Struve and Nelson after that.

Brock got a tough schedule because of his physical stature. If Brock would have gotten to ease into things, that could have changed his career. Brock may have learned how to strike/fight. In theory, he may have had more fights. He could have made more money for himself and the UFC. He could have had more time to bring fans over.

I thought Brock's stand up looked considerably improved against Overeem, considering who he was fighting. I really would have loved for him to have been allowed to sharpen his skills.

Oh well! After what Lesnar has been through, he is just lucky to be alive. Hopefully he will enjoy some level of normalcy in his life. I wish him nothing but success.

Edit: I committed a cardinal sin and did not read the article first

Edit: OK, read the article..... Lame! I like my write up much better, much more plausible.

If Brock fought in a different time he would have been better? Yeah and if I could go back in time with an AR-15 and NVG's I could have taken out the entire British army in the Revolutionary War.

Last edited 1/9/12 4:53PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   1/9/12 4:27:35PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Brock was one of the best, anyone who you think is more talented would have had a similar record against all those current and future greats. It is decieving.

Post #5   1/9/12 5:11:23PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Brock was one of the best, anyone who you think is more talented would have had a similar record against all those current and future greats. It is decieving.

ummm... no

Post #6   1/9/12 7:44:51PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Ghandikush,to an extent you may be right. The problem is we will never know because not enough fighters get elevated to that level so quickly. For all we know their could be very well 100 minor league fighters competing in small clubs and shows that could wipe the floor with the majority of the HW division in the UFC given the right opprotunities. Of course none of them would rack in Brock money though.

Perhaps it's a little far fetched but it's one of those what if questions we could debate for hours on end in my opinion.

Post #7   1/9/12 10:10:23PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by ghandikush

Ghandikush,to an extent you may be right. The problem is we will never know because not enough fighters get elevated to that level so quickly. For all we know their could be very well 100 minor league fighters competing in small clubs and shows that could wipe the floor with the majority of the HW division in the UFC given the right opprotunities. Of course none of them would rack in Brock money though.

Perhaps it's a little far fetched but it's one of those what if questions we could debate for hours on end in my opinion.

I never thought of it that way.

Post #8   1/11/12 10:39:05PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
Joe Rogan talked about this on one of his podcasts. He pretty much said, Brock Lesnar, if he started earlier, could of been the greatest UFC Heavyweight champ ever. If he went and spent countless hours focusing on just striking with a camp like Golden Glory, he would have been a beast.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda right.

Post #9   1/11/12 10:51:32PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

you have pretty outlandish opinions, which leads to my question.. can i buy pot from you?

Post #10   1/11/12 11:12:31PM