Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce's Lawal rips on 'Kermit' Mousasi, sub-par actor Jackson, bad ref Winslow

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (9-1 MMA, 4-1 SF) has never been one to hold back when it comes to expressing his opinion, and Saturday night was no different.

Following his win over the previously undefeated Lorenz Larkin at Saturday's "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" event in Las Vegas, Lawal railed on fellow light heavyweights Gegard Mousasi and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Oh, and the gloves really came off when it came to referee Kim Winslow.

"I'm going to put it like this: The commission, they need to do something with [Winslow]," Lawal said. "Let her take a fight or something and give her a bad ref."

Lawal's anger came from Winslow's seemingly slow stoppage of his fight. In the second round, Lawal took Larkin to the floor and pummeled him with ground-and-pound blows. Winslow finally stepped in after more than a dozen big punches that seemed to bring Larkin in and out of consciousness.

Lawal believed the delay in halting the bout was not only ridiculous but also in stark contrast to the pre-fight instructions he was given.

"She said backstage, 'If I hear 'Ow' or 'Ouch' or 'Ooh,' I'm going to stop the fight,'" Lawal explained. "Man, this dude was cussing. I hit him, and he's like, 'Oh, [expletive].' I was like, 'Uh, ref?'

"I looked at her, so I kept on hitting him. I was like, 'Man, she needs to stop this thing.' I heard people in the crowd yelling, 'Stop it!' Then she jumps in all late."

Lawal said Winslow explained post-fight that her call was based on a desire to give Larkin every possible chance to recover and that "If it takes for him to be asleep, that's what it is."

Lawal believes that's an ill-informed explanation.

"She's never taken a punch before, so it's easy for her to say that," Lawal said.

Lawal cited a previous Winslow outing as proof that the official is sometimes slow to intervene in one-sided matchups. Citing a June 2010 bout in which then-Strikeforce female champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos was mercilessly beating on a defenseless Jan Finney, Lawal said he thinks Winslow may need to take on a different role in the cage to gain a better understanding of what she's watching.

"Let [Winslow] fight 'Cyborg,' and let's do a late stoppage with her," Lawal said. "I watched her almost get Jan Finney killed by 'Cyborg.' I think maybe the tables need to be turned. Put me in there as a ref, and I'll just do a terrible job like her."

LINK

Post #1   1/8/12 2:58:20PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,474-834
Chips:
Lawal sure does talk a lot... How does Gegard sound like kermit the frog

Post #2   1/8/12 3:07:37PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Wasn't Winslow on the Adams Family, or was that The Munsters

Last edited 1/8/12 3:51PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/8/12 3:50:41PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
he is right about that stoppage. as much as i hate early stoppages, the late ones are just as bad. being a fighter myself, i will punch until the ref stops it no matter what, but the last thing i wanna do is end a career or make somebody quit the sport.

Post #4   1/8/12 4:00:49PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I don't usually agree with King Mo, but Kim Winslow is a pretty terrible ref. I remember one wec fight where the dude pulled guard and she stopped the fight. Shit was ridiculous.

Post #5   1/8/12 6:44:40PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:
1. Winslow is a terrible ref and it's been proven several times. Twice last night...
2. Why do they ever let her ref guys more than 185 pounds? I know she resembles an ogre but she still shouldn't be the one to pull off a guy much stronger than herself.
3. If a ref doesn't have confidence in herself to stop a fight, don't use her as a main card ref. That's just fucking stupid. I hope Larkin is alright. He ate A LOT of shots directly to the chin.

Post #6   1/8/12 7:00:47PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,733-1,430
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Cant say I disagree with him on Mousasi, he does sound like Kermit

Post #7   1/8/12 7:10:22PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mo is right about Winslow. She is a terrible referee. I don't know what business that osteoporosis riddled 85 pound woman has in the cage overseeing a bout between two huge 205 pound light heavyweights. Her MMA IQ appears to be dangerously low.

This sport has such a long way to go.

What about Herb Dean? I don't know how he got voted ref of the year for 2011. He has screwed up in just about every event I have seen him in lately. In my opinion, Dan Miragliotta is looking like the #1 ref right now!

And then there is the judging. I guess the fact that officiating is so terrible in all promotions goes back to the fact that apparently no one understands the unified rules of MMA. All this lay and pray business is completely weak, and furthermore, it is not allowed under unified rules. Stalling and timidity are pretty explicitly outlined in the rules as not allowed, are they are to be penalized. Yet we see cage clinching for half a round or more, or even worse, your Woodley-Mein situations.

One thing I don't agree with though: Lawal called Mousasi boring. I think he needs to go watch their fight again. That may or may not have been the most boring 25 minutes of my life. Quite frankly, King Mo owes me at least five more savage KO's before I call it even.

Post #8   1/8/12 7:11:38PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Mo is right about Winslow. She is a terrible referee. I don't know what business that osteoporosis riddled 85 pound woman has in the cage overseeing a bout between two huge 205 pound light heavyweights. Her MMA IQ appears to be dangerously low.

This sport has such a long way to go.

What about Herb Dean? I don't know how he got voted ref of the year for 2011. He has screwed up in just about every event I have seen him in lately. In my opinion, Dan Miragliotta is looking like the #1 ref right now!

And then there is the judging. I guess the fact that officiating is so terrible in all promotions goes back to the fact that apparently no one understands the unified rules of MMA. All this lay and pray business is completely weak, and furthermore, it is not allowed under unified rules. Stalling and timidity are pretty explicitly outlined in the rules as not allowed, are they are to be penalized. Yet we see cage clinching for half a round or more, or even worse, your Woodley-Mein situations.

One thing I don't agree with though: Lawal called Mousasi boring. I think he needs to go watch their fight again. That may or may not have been the most boring 25 minutes of my life. Quite frankly, King Mo owes me at least five more savage KO's before I call it even.

agree on everything.

Post #9   1/9/12 1:03:38AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I'll take Rosenthal over Miragliotta 10 times out of 10.

Last edited 1/9/12 1:31PM server time by emfleek

Post #10   1/9/12 11:31:29AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bjj1605

I'll take Rosenthal over Miragliotta 10 times out of 10.

Me too...Rosenthal and Herb Dean are great...Mirg teh female and the one dana hates no so much...drawing a blank...

Post #11   1/9/12 12:23:40PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
That would be Steve Mazzagatti.

If a fight is ref'd by either Big John, Herb Dean, or Dan Rosenthal, I'm reasonably confident a smart call will be made. I'm also cool with Miragliotta and Yamasaki, but I'm not sure if I want them handling a main event. One thing does Miragliotta seem to excel at is crisis management - first in the Kimbo-Thompson fight where he correctly informed the state licensing officials that Thompson's takedown attempt after the stoppage was pure instinct and not willful violence against a non-competitor, and second in the Koscheck-Daley fight where he quickly and powerfully separated Daley after the late hit. Absolutely no hesitation.

Last edited 1/9/12 1:03PM server time by isk

Post #12   1/9/12 1:02:12PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Chips:

Posted by isk

One thing does Miragliotta seem to excel at is crisis management - first in the Kimbo-Thompson fight where he correctly informed the state licensing officials that Thompson's takedown attempt after the stoppage was pure instinct and not willful violence against a non-competitor, and second in the Koscheck-Daley fight where he quickly and powerfully separated Daley after the late hit. Absolutely no hesitation.

That's why I brought him up! That's what I remember about Dan. Herb Dean and Josh Rosenthal... It seems like they spent a lot of time this year explaining why they blew calls.

Post #13   1/9/12 3:41:26PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Steve Mazzagatti and Kim Winslow need to hook up and produce a child which then evolves into an uber-ref by the time UFC 320 comes around.

Post #14   1/9/12 6:22:44PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,733-1,430
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

Steve Mazzagatti and Kim Winslow need to hook up and produce a child which then evolves into an uber-ref by the time UFC 320 comes around.

No need to wait that long, the kid coming out of the womb could ref a better match.

Post #15   1/9/12 6:28:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2