Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Strikeforce champ Cris Santos apologizes for failed drug test, blames supplement

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would like to sincerely apologize to Strikeforce, the Zuffa organization, Hioko Yamanaka and my fans for my failed drug test.

I am ultimately responsible for everything I put in my body, and at the end of the day, there is no excuse for having a prohibited substance in my system. I do not condone the use of any performance enhancing drugs by myself or any other professional athlete, and willingly accept the penalties and fines that have been handed down to me by the California State Athletic Commission and those of the Strikeforce/Zuffa organization.

While I was preparing myself for my last fight, I was having a difficult time cutting weight and used a dietary supplement that I was assured was safe and not prohibited from use in sports competition. It was never my intention to obtain an unfair advantage over Hiroko, mislead Strikeforce, the commission or my fans. I train harder than any fighter in MMA and do not need drugs to win in the cage, and I have proven this time and time again! My only mistake is not verifying the diet aid with my doctor beforehand, and understanding that it was not approved for use in the ring. Unfortunately in the end I suffer the consequences and must accept the responsibility for my actions.

I will do everything I can to show my fans that I can still compete at the professional level without the use of any prohibited substances, and ask God's forgiveness for my mistake.

LINK

Post #1   1/7/12 4:03:18PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Chips:
Beat me to it!

Post #2   1/7/12 4:05:46PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Yadda-yadda-yadda, blah, blah, blah.......

Post #3   1/7/12 4:15:38PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:
Every fighter knows they need to check your supplements, me saying this isn't anything new. You are ultimately responsible for what you put in your body. You tested positive and now she has to live with all the negative that comes from it unfortunately.

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #4   1/7/12 4:18:06PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
For English being a second language, she put together a decent response

Post #5   1/7/12 4:19:51PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:
The dietary supplement excuse along with the TRT one, are getting relatively old.

Post #6   1/7/12 4:31:56PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,937-1,199
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
She blames the supplements...the supplements of steroids

I tested positive for marijuana...I blame the joints!

Post #7   1/7/12 5:16:54PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
hey at least she "man'ed up" some what and took the blame,

either way i think its bs, cause if she had tested negative she wouldn't be sorry

Post #8   1/8/12 10:23:47AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:
"You tell me that you're sorry didn't think I'd turn around and say
That it's too late to apologize, it's too late"

Post #9   1/8/12 11:17:43AM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
What, that freak of nature (and science) is on illegal substances? Nooo. C'mon, Ive never seen a person so obviously juicing. Disgusting!

Post #10   1/8/12 12:43:18PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Gotta plays devils advocate again here. She broke the rules, she deserves her year suspension and the fine. But again stanozolol is not primarily a muscle building steroid. It is used primarily to shed non-lean body mass (as a form of diuretic basically), or can heal injuries quicker, the third use is obviously to be the final stage of a roid stacking cycle. All are possible But I could see it being put in a supplement as it's a great way to shed weight without losing the muscle you "already" have. It's not a "build muscle" steroid; even though it can/does build, you can find better options for that on the shelf at your local GNC.

In fact stanzolol (Winstrol) was in brand name products in your local supplement shop as recently as 5-6 years ago listed as Prostanozol. Prostanozol just happened to be inactive when administered and then metabolize in your body, being a prodrug of stanzolol. There are still things on your supplements shelf that will eventually be on the ban list. It's not an exact science.

Her explanation is perfectly reasonable for the form of steroid it was and there's no way we'll know; things like stanozolol ARE put in supplements to shed weight, and aren't always listed if it was a mixed supplement, rather than a brand name one, from someone they trusted. Innocent til proven guilty. She's guilty of taking it, but unless we hear otherwise, its probable she's innocent of knowing about it. It'd be good for any users to educate themselves on what steroids encompass, you'd learn a lot

There are endogenous anabolic steroids, basically designer drugs, out there right now that can beat the drug tests. There are some with 24 hour detection periods or less such as Salibutamol for fat-burning. It's on the banned steroids list as a beta-2 agonist proven to increase performance. It's out of you in 24 hours max. And there will always be new designer steroids coming out monthly to beat the system by modifying the chemical structure of existing known steroids being tested for and/or coming up with an entirely new chemical structure that produces a similiar, the same, or better result than a known, banned, tested for steroid. Doping will never end in performance sports for those that have their hopes up.

Last edited 1/10/12 6:01PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
5 total post edits

Post #11   1/8/12 12:48:10PM