Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Former UFC fighter Hermes Franca sentenced to 42 months in prison for sexual abuse of underaged student

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
That sucks

But on a lighter note..have you ever noticed the Techno Viking is Keith Jardine?

Post #16   1/7/12 1:24:16AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Hermes via ko vs anybody in prison lol

Post #17   1/7/12 3:39:08AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It was plead from 9 felones to 2 so hard to assume it was just one underage student.

But 9 to 2 probably also means the prosecution didn't have a van full of evidence.

Regardless, in my head it was all 17 year olds. I don't want to think of Franca hitting on pre-teen students, and no one should classify him that way since we don't know.

He's already been in for 7 months hasn't he? 42-14 for good time is 28. Minus 7 already served = 21 months remaining.

Post #18   1/7/12 3:48:30AM   

FR33B1RD

Banned for Cheating

FR33B1RD Avatar

Career:679-366
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
I'm generally disturbed by the level of people's desire for someone to get raped in any circumstance.

Post #19   1/7/12 4:08:55AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,706-901
Chips:
I'm familiar with the law here, but not the US as much. Is this sentence not a bit light given the crime (not the lessening via bargain but the actual crime he was convicted of?).

Concerning plea bargains, accepting them doesn't mean that you're guilty, just that you and your team acknowledge that the opposition have a better case and you're likely to lose.

Post #20   1/7/12 6:00:20AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
either way you look at it, he didnt make a very good "life" decision

prison aint fun for nobody

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #21   1/7/12 6:28:31AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by warglory

Wow guys, maybe you should wait for the facts to come out before crying for the man to be raped in prison.

I'm not sure many more facts will come out considering he's already been convicted *and* sentenced.

I agree. He already pled guilty and admitted his wrong doing. I don't want him to get raped, just unlawfully penetrated; I guess there's a difference.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #22   1/7/12 7:28:19AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kopower

May Hermes be unlawfully penetrated numerous times while he's away in prison. Fuckin scumbag.

You know a fighters gone to far when this isn't considered fighter bashing. I'm a huge fan of kopower and I, although think his remarks are a little harsh, can see why anyone thinks this way when there's a 20 year age difference and the girls underage.

He's no longer a fighter in my eyes he's down right perverted. And I hope all MODs pull a blindeye on kopower, because Given the circumstances, Hermes definatley isn't Gunna be fighting for another 42 months and he has some serious explaining to do to himself whilst he's in prison. Fighter bashing this isn't, convicted fellon abuse it is.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #23   1/7/12 8:00:04AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:
Hermes has retired twice in the last two years.

He's an ex-fighter now.

Post #24   1/7/12 8:10:08AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Chips:
Unlawful sexual penetration in Oregon requires the victim to be 14 or under.

Bash away.

Post #25   1/7/12 8:20:25AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

Wow guys, maybe you should wait for the facts to come out before crying for the man to be raped in prison.

Well, usually when a person agrees to a plea bargain, it is usually because he or she is guilty. Would you agree to a plea bargain if you never committed the crime? There are some sensitive civil and abuse/harassment cases where the defendant may choose to plead guilty to avoid a heftier punishment but I doubt this is the case.

This is a serious charge and if Franca did not commit the crime, there should be no reason for him to plead guilty. My gut tells me he got off easy.

This is not always true. There are circumstances where a man may realize that the police have enough evidence to pin the conviction on him, even if he didn't do it. So that person will accept the plea in order to avoid a harsher sentence for something they didn't do. They may be innocent, but they determine the risk of being found guilty in a trial isn't worth it. It's a sad fact about our judicial system.
Now, in no way am I saying this is the case here. I don't know. I don't know any details. But it's not out of the ordinary that Hermes would take the plea bargain because he knew defending himself at trial would be impossible, whether or not he did it.

Post #26   1/7/12 8:55:03AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Chips:
Now if Hermes actually did this... he's a disgusting scumbag. I have no tolerance for sex offenders and my opinions towards them would probably get me banned from this site if I were to share them.

Post #27   1/7/12 8:58:38AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bythar

I'm familiar with the law here, but not the US as much. Is this sentence not a bit light given the crime (not the lessening via bargain but the actual crime he was convicted of?).

Concerning plea bargains, accepting them doesn't mean that you're guilty, just that you and your team acknowledge that the opposition have a better case and you're likely to lose.

A plea bargain is an admission of guilt. To accept the plea, you must admit you're guilty.

A No Contest, is what you're referring to.

Last edited 1/7/12 9:01AM server time by Misterfreeze
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #28   1/7/12 8:59:52AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Bash away.

Disgusting.

Post #29   1/7/12 9:43:20AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by ncordless

Bash away.

Disgusting.

Yeah, I agree, no excuse there.

Post #30   1/7/12 10:30:30AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3