Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hey hey hey. 1 Month. 20 lbs.

Print  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm Joining the Air Force with my friend under the buddy system, and he has a month and a half to lose 15 pounds. Though they said he should shoot for 20. For some leeway room.

If you have any advice, tips, tricks, or tactics feel free to leave them here.

Thank you.

Post #1   1/4/12 4:52:46PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,693-1,445
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
As a wrestler, my expertise is cutting waterweight in a short period of time, but I recently took a nutrition class and have a little knowledge about losing that much weight in a short period of time. Tell him to cut his calorie intake way down, and stay away from saturated and trans fat, even though it may be hard. He's gonna have to stay away from red meat, a little chicken now and again is ok but no red meat. Cut down on the carbs. Basically all he should be eating is fruits and vegetables. Don't starve buy don't indulge and he should be fine.

Post #2   1/4/12 5:19:39PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Chips:
Carbs and sugar are weight killers. I'd say switch the diet up. Greens and protein. That and of course a good workout routine. I like to incorporate crunchs into all of my workouts, as you can work your abs every day. This also helps keep your body active and speeds your metabolism. If you have down time, do crunchs until you can't anymore. Give it an hour or two, repeat. I only stop when my abs hurt from sneezing.

At least, that's how I used to do it before I got married, lol.

Post #3   1/4/12 5:26:17PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
Thanks guys. I've been storing these suggestions like a databank.

Post #4   1/4/12 7:41:44PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I'm a master at cutting weight.

Some tips......

Cutting and Maintaining Weight

Once you've determined your weight class, you should next develop a. plan for making and maintaing the weight. Plan your diet to lose not more than 2-3 poun~ each week. For example, if you determine you want to lose 10 pounds, allow at least 5 weeks (2 Ibs.lweek) to accomplish your goal. If you plan ahead, the gradual reduction in weight can be easily accomplished. Also, to achieve your goal, you must understand the principles of good nutrition.

Food Pyramid

Wrestlers can achieve a balanced diet by following the. dietary guidelines provided in the food pyramid. The training table guidelines listed below indicate the minimum number of servings from each food group for each day. The menus in Appendix A show examples of these recommendations.

The pyramid is divided into 4 levels according to the needs of your body. The base of the pyramid contains foods 'including grains such as oats, rice and wheat, and the breads, cereals, noodles and pasta made from them. Try to choose 6-11 servings of these products each day io ensure a solid. foundation for your diet. Foods from this group are high in complex carbohydrates, which are the main energy source for training and other body functions.

The next level of nutrition in the food pyramid includes foods from the vegetable and fruit groups. These foods. include all fresh,' frozen, canned and dried fruits and vegetables and juice. These groups are loaded with vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates and fiber. It is recommended that.your diet consists of 3-5 seryings of vegetables and 2-4 servings of fruit each day to ensure an ample supply of vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates.

The next level of nutrition in the food pyramid consists of 2 food groups: the dairy products, including milk, yogurt and cheese; and the meat products, including meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs and nuts. These groups are rich in proteins, calcium, zinc, iron, and vitamins, and are essential for healthy bones and muscles. Choose low fat dairy products and lean (low fat) meat products to get the full advantage of these foods without excess' fat calories. Your diet should include 2-3 low fat servings from the dairy group each day, as well as 2-3 servings from the meat group each day. Appendix A give some examples.

The top of the food pyramid includes nutrients that should be used sparingly in your diet, including fats, oils, and sweets. Many of these nutrients are already present in foods previously discussed and are often added in processed foods. Be careful in your selection of foods and check food label for added sugars and fats that can add calories to your diet without significantly increasing their nutritional value.

Last edited 1/4/12 8:29PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/4/12 8:28:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
1. Diets dont work. If any one diet worked, there wouldn't be any fat people. A lifesyle of exercise
and a balanced diet are the key to maintaining a good muscle-to-fat ratio.

2. Reduce the total number of calories eaten by eating smaller portions at meals.

3. Do not skip meals. This will only slow your metabolism down and make it more difficult to lose fat.

4. Reduce the total number of calories eaten by eliminating snacks.

5. Eliminate eating late at night; because you will be inactive these calories will only be stored as fat.

6 A large person can successfully lose approximately 2-3 pounds of fat per week. If'you lose weight any faster than that, you may begin to lose muscle, as well as strength. Losing fat needs to be a slow, gradual process.

7. For each pound of fat you want to lose, you have to eliminate 3500 calories. You should do this with a
combination of diet and exercise.

8. The fastest and perhaps the easiest way to lose weight is with a combinaitori of diet and exercise. If you eat 500 calories less and exercise 500 calories more, you could burn up 1000 calories per day.
At this rate, you could lose two pounds in a week.

9. Drink 4-6 eight ounce glasses of water a day.

10. Omit or limit alcoho!consumption.

11. Read labels when shopping. Low fat does not always mean low or no fat. Look for nonfat or fat free.

Post #6   1/4/12 8:31:35PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,451-1,459
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Topics like this are what the Internet is made for!

Post #7   1/4/12 9:50:28PM   

MuayThaiGeek13

MMA Regular

Career:115-75
Chips:
You're gonna have some serious MMA withdraws during boot

I missed UFC 112 113 & 114.

It sucked missing the Shogun Machida rematch.

Post #8   1/4/12 11:33:05PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:
I've lost 7lbs since Dec 31 by cutting out all crap food, working out hard, and following the nutrition advice on here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

Tryin' to get in decent enough shape to do try some boxing and/or do BJJ again.

Good luck to you and your mate!

Post #9   1/10/12 11:35:14AM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
Muscle and Strength is where I get all of my workouts/diet advice from. and the people on the forums remind me of the people here, friendly and more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

Post #10   1/10/12 3:39:49PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
So far so good. Its been about a week maybe a week and a half. And 7 pounds down thanks to various advice(s). Thanks guys.

Post #11   1/12/12 10:58:12PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

10. Omit or limit alcoho!consumption.

Whoooa, I'm in the wrong forum.

Post #12   1/12/12 11:03:34PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
For normal people with super busy lives it's hard to have such a structured meal plan and work out schedule.

I'm a really busy dude. I'm self employed. I work really long days and I have 5 kids so there isn't much free time and very little consistency on when I can eat or work out.

In June of 2011 I decided that I couldn't use those things as an excuse any more and started hitting the gym as often as I possibly could and/or getting in some sort of physical activity.

I totally increased the amount of food i eat by like 4 times what I used to eat...literally. The weight started falling off pretty easy (i was 304) and everytime I hit a plateau along the way I would skip a meal or two (which is really easy for me because I used to only eat once a day and often times i'd forget all together.) I always hear how bad that is but it seems like since I started eating so much more than what i used to that now when I randomly decide to skip a meal here or there it actually has the desired result.

I get stuck in a certain weight range and don't have the time to increase the amount of physical activity...i skip a meal or two and bam...i'm 5 lbs less. I've had no trouble maintaining weight since i started losing but continuing to lose has proven to be a little more difficult because my body gets used to the physical activity and I don't have any more hours in my day or the energy to add more working out. Cut out lunch and dinner and I wake up 5 lbs less and then that is the new weight...i ride that out a few weeks and then skip a couple meals and i'm down another 5.

It's actually become really easy. My goals are always in 5 lbs increments. I should be hitting the 80lb mark this week. I lost the first 50 within less than 2 months. That last 30 has been done the way i explained above.

i'm assuming the increased eating and working out sped my metabolism up so that when I skip a meal now I just burn fat whereas i used to eat so little and had very little physical activity so my body was just hanging on to whatever i put in it. I was never an over eater just incredibly inconsistent.

I know this doesn't have much to do w/the original question but it seemed to fit in the overall context of the thread.

I didn't mean to revive an old thread. I was looking for info on where the best place to find gear/equipment was (especially for kids)...online preferably.

Last edited 1/15/12 8:14PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   1/15/12 8:12:02PM