Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lyoto Machida Undergoes Successful Surgery, Calls Out Chael Sonnen

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
machida is good as running in the octagon, but chael is better at getting a hold of fighters. id take chael by UD all day long.

Post #16   1/4/12 1:15:40AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would take Chael over Machida and hope the line on it is good as well so I can cash in as well....I bet to make it real interesting Machida could make MW.

Post #17   1/4/12 1:43:56AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,061-632
Chips:
As long as we keep talking about this fight that will never happen, I think Chael would have his way with Machida. Take him down again and again en route to a unanimous decision. Machida's like Silva but not as good in any area

Post #18   1/4/12 1:46:28AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,782-1,559
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by DancingDoll

Yes, let's challenge people to a match-up that never has a shot in hell of taking place...

My next tweet: "Hey Britney Palmer, I challenge you to a ring-girl walk off!"

*rolling eyes*

Machida was probably high on post-surgery painkillers when he tweeted that.

You do realize this is what Sonnen is known for, right? He calls out Light Heavyweights and and Heavyweights left and right. Easy targets for his insults that he has no chance of actually fighting.

Yep, it's just funny when they try to answer him back and get the 'what if's' going again.

If Chael wants to talk a mess of trash, he has to back it up. He has done a fantastic job of doing it so far, so let's see if he can keep it up against Machida. You seem to think it's foolish for somebody to respond to Chael calling them out, I don't see what you're supposed to do in Machida's shoes. You either stay quiet and let Chael talk trash forever or you accept the fight and make Chael put his money where his mouth is. You seem to think that letting Chael talk trash forever is a better idea

Post #19   1/4/12 2:01:15AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,782-1,559
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by SamPan

As long as we keep talking about this fight that will never happen, I think Chael would have his way with Machida. Take him down again and again en route to a unanimous decision. Machida's like Silva but not as good in any area

I think as a bigger fighter, he has a strength advantage. And I prefer Machida's takedown defense to Anderson.

Post #20   1/4/12 2:02:42AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Pookie

Chael wouldn't get 1 takedown the whole fight.

Nah, he would most likely get about 10.

Nah, he probably wouldn't even get one.

Post #21   1/4/12 2:55:38AM   

MuayThaiGeek13

MMA Regular

Career:115-75
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Pookie

Chael wouldn't get 1 takedown the whole fight.

Nah, he would most likely get about 10.

Nah, he probably wouldn't even get one.

You two are promoting this fight on your own.

Would love to see it.

Chael would only need 1 TD btw

Post #22   1/4/12 3:30:17AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,030-598
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I think Chael should take out Lyota in Brazil in the preliminary card as a warm up fight and then finish off Silva in the main event on the same card. The UFC will need good security that night.

Post #23   1/4/12 9:04:27AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Chael could fight Lyoto, they both are close to being post contender/entertainment fighting career status. and the UFC has been known to put together grudge matches the fans wanna see no matter division or sport)james toney vs, Couture)
You gotta give it to Chael he did control Silva on the ground, but others have done that as well, Lutter, Nate, Hendo, Carlos Newton, but none have beaten him, but Chael has talked up his loss enough to get a rematch, i personally don't care for the rematch,(although the fight was good while it was standing, the ground was boring and Silva played rope a dope waiting for Chael to gas) and think Chael should accept the loss and fight at lhw.

Chael shouldn't have dissed Lyoto because Lyoto could beat Chael and get a high profile win under his belt, but that said Chael also has a good chance to win also.

Lyoto would get up quicker and avoid take-downs more often he also may give him the stanky leg treatment, Chael could perhaps beat Lyoto setting up a title shot, but Chael is no Jon Jones, and taking Machida down is harder than the stretched out athelete JJ made it seem to be. If he could beat Lyoto, it would be a UD, I think Chael could be good style for Jones, because I think Chael just as he could take down Lyoto, could maybe take down Jones. Jones takedown defense doesn't get tested because no one can get inside, once inside, Machida has good tdd, does Jones have a sprawl that can withstand someone like Chael on the inside?Jones just needs fresh heads to run through, while he gets his experience in. Jones is already better than everyone, and is only hit partial potential, amazing. Chael might as well move up to 205, he is a more effective mma wrestler than Rashad or Hendo imo.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 1/4/12 9:53AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #24   1/4/12 9:37:36AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Chips:
A guy who drinks his own pee calling someone else a peepee mouth

Post #25   1/4/12 11:33:13AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

A guy who drinks his own pee calling someone else a peepee mouth

Read it again.

Post #26   1/4/12 11:36:47AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Personally anyone that would take Chael over Machida should also take Mendes over Aldo...Basically the same fight...

I pick Chael too actually...

Post #27   1/4/12 12:23:28PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:730-356
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by DancingDoll

Yes, let's challenge people to a match-up that never has a shot in hell of taking place...

My next tweet: "Hey Britney Palmer, I challenge you to a ring-girl walk off!"

*rolling eyes*

Machida was probably high on post-surgery painkillers when he tweeted that.

You do realize this is what Sonnen is known for, right? He calls out Light Heavyweights and and Heavyweights left and right. Easy targets for his insults that he has no chance of actually fighting.

Yep, it's just funny when they try to answer him back and get the 'what if's' going again.

If Chael wants to talk a mess of trash, he has to back it up. He has done a fantastic job of doing it so far, so let's see if he can keep it up against Machida. You seem to think it's foolish for somebody to respond to Chael calling them out, I don't see what you're supposed to do in Machida's shoes. You either stay quiet and let Chael talk trash forever or you accept the fight and make Chael put his money where his mouth is. You seem to think that letting Chael talk trash forever is a better idea

For pure entertainment value, I quite enjoy trash talking in general, but I take it for what it is in this case... the "I can fight you, blindfolded with one arm behind my back, anyway, anyday, brah" style of talk that reminds me a bit of WWE. But... in reality... I just don't see this fight ever happening, which is why I think the call-outs are hilarious and doesn't carry the same kind of energy. It's just to stay on the map and keep people talking, which is what Chael is a master of. If Machida wants to get in on the action, then good for him. But... nobody takes it seriously. It's just for publicity and entertainment, which I am wholly in favour of.

Chael already rescinded his "I will leave the UFC if I lose against Silva" call-out because the 'time had expired on that call-out' or however he explained it. I'm just saying a smart guy will cater the level of his trash-talking to situations depending on how risk-aversive they are. He knows when to push it and when to pull back. I'm a huge Chael fan, both of how he plays himself in the octagon and in the public eye, but I just don't take the latter *that* seriously. And when a quiet guy like Machida tries to do it in such a grand "one-armed showdown" kind of way, it just cracks me up. That's all...

Post #28   1/4/12 1:17:06PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,023-594
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Personally anyone that would take Chael over Machida should also take Mendes over Aldo...Basically the same fight...

Machida: Karate base with a sumo background and a BJJ black belt
Aldo: Soccer base with a Muay Thai background and a BJJ black belt
I guess all a fight needs is a wrestler and a bjj black belt for it to be the same fight (basically)

Post #29   1/4/12 1:49:56PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Chael don't be scared homey!

Post #30   1/5/12 4:14:31PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3