Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Henderson vs Alexander Gustafsson - does it make sense for the division?

Print  
Posted By Message

TheReem2012

Learning to Sprawl

Career:17-11
Chips:
As of yet there has been no official opponent for 205 champion Jon Jones, which makes sense as he wants a break. Most people want to see him fight Rashad Evans (providing he beats Phil Davis). After this then what for Jones if he wins (as expected)? Hendo's chance of winning revolves around landing a big right hand, the same way in which Rampage would win. Obviously Hendo is more dangerous than Rampage but there ways of winning are the same. Jones has pretty much cleaned out the division.

Why not put Alexander Gustafsson in with Dan Henderson in headlining the Sweden card? While I'd favour Hendo Gustafsson stands a stylistics shot of winning, especially at home. This would set up a fight with Jones later in the year. While this is rushing the Swede, what other options are there? Jones has basically cleaned out the rest of the divison. Plus if you want to give Jones Hendo when he beats Evans whats Dan gonna do for a year? The UFC don't do tuneup's, for me him taking on Gustafsson makes sense for the division.

What do you think?

Post #1   1/3/12 10:19:38AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm very open to ideas now that I've, quite frankly lost interest in what used to be my favourite division

This seems to make a lot of sense other than Gustaffasons limited exposure or market

I actually agree with your reasoning and props to you for the thought, I'm just pretty open to ideas on this division right now, I'd gain 3 tonnes more excitement if the word jones and retired was mentioned

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   1/3/12 10:37:54AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 36-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,481-954
Chips:
WOW! Interesting fight! I would certainly tune in to watch BUT I imagine people would argue Gustafff isn't ready for Hendo or isn't on Hendos level. But I agree that it would be a PERFECT Sweden main event. Hometown Hero vs. The H-Bomb Machine! Its just too bad Dana has other plans for Hendo I believe

Post #3   1/3/12 10:38:13AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:
It's a very interesting fight but I'd rather see Gustafsson vs. Machida in Sweden tbh.

Post #4   1/3/12 2:25:51PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:514-380
Chips:
you know of all the fights possible in the top 10 of the LHW division you picked one i hadn't thought of, but would love to see. I can see this as a matchup of Legend v Young Lion, but also it would either cement Hendo as a Title challenger (depending on time, and Jones v Evans HAS To happen so they can stop the talking), or create a new force in Gustaf.

If Gustafsson wins he could be considered "in line" as a challenger, and yet he's not so established that making him fight again would be a decision met with fan ire.
What do you think? Where would a win place either man in standings?

Post #5   1/3/12 3:57:50PM   

TheReem2012

Learning to Sprawl

Career:17-11
Chips:
If Hendo beat Gustafsson he would be number 1 in line. Unless there is controversy or if the Evans fight is awesome or controversial Hendo would no doubt be number 1 contender. Even if Rampage trashes Bader, he would still not be on a roll like Henderson.Same with the Swede for me, while his run would be impressive it would only two noteworthy wins. However who else would that compete against? Machida is 2-3 (could easily be 1-4) in his last fights and while he did well against Jones he would not be above Gustafsson should be he beat Hendo. No one is on a good enough to streak to top the Swede should he fight and defeat Hendo in (which is obviously a big ask, even if the fight is made).

Post #6   1/3/12 5:34:52PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,733-1,430
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I dont think so. I think Henderson is a step above Alex right now. I think alex needs to fight the winner of maybe Bader/Rampage. His highest "profile" fight was against Davis in which he lost so his highest profile win was Vlad, he's just not at Hendo's level in the title contender picture right now. And it really doesnt help Hendo either.

Post #7   1/3/12 7:10:44PM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Doesnt make sense for Hendo, No.

Post #8   1/3/12 9:14:19PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i would be seriously surprised if hendo even took the fight.

as of right i now i would have to disagree, but if gustafsson keeps wining maybe in the future. personally id rather see hendo move back to MW.

Post #9   1/4/12 12:55:52AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Hendo should be either fighting for titles or facing other potential Hall of Famers. Gustafsson is not ready for a Hendo and it wouldn't be smart to derail a guy you may be building up by letting him get crushed by Hendo. Gustafsson admits he's many fights away from a title shot, and imo his striking defense is below average Lose/lose for Hendo, Win/Lose for Gustafsson. And to have Gustafsson most likely get crushed in his home country wouldn't be the smartest move. Let's be honest, Bisping was facing McCarthys and Sinosics when fighting at home at this point in his UFC career. Gotta build the fanbase there by getting W's for the hometown fighter.

Post #10   1/4/12 8:52:15AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,545-881
Chips:
gustaffson should fight lil nog next

Post #11   1/4/12 5:10:32PM