Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jimy Hettes represents the next, great generation

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have seen a lot of fighters really early in their career.

I judged Tim Sylvia's first fight. At first he thought his opponent was me. I was glad I wasn't - the opponent ended up in the ambulance with foam coming out of his mouth, and that was with palm strikes only.

I trained with Mike Brown before he ever fought. We touched hands standing, he heel hooked me.

I saw Jon Jones fifth fight. Actually, I missed it, as I looked down, more less.

When you see the ones who are going to be great, you know. I got that feeling Saturday night, but it wasn't an obscure fight in some obscure arena in some obscure place, it was on the main card of UFC 141 in Las Vegas, when Jimy Hettes dominated Nam Phan for three rounds, including two 10-8 rounds on two judges score cards.

I think the undefeated Jimy Hettes is going to great.

LINK

Post #1   1/3/12 9:17:57AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,051-1,270
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
after 1 or 2 more fights we can say that...right now it looks like he will be the next generation, but give him 1 or 2 more before we slap that monster tag on him

Post #2   1/3/12 12:21:51PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

after 1 or 2 more fights we can say that...right now it looks like he will be the next generation, but give him 1 or 2 more before we slap that monster tag on him

Welcome to the Hettes era ladies and gentlemen!!
:JoeRoganFace:

Post #3   1/3/12 1:30:54PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
slow down the hype train just a little bit, can this kid use good standup, what if he faces someone he can't take down? He's a good bjj grappler, but I consider the new generation to be not only confident and varied in the sub attempts but also to be well rounded, training with Edgar should help his standup, but we will have to wait and see. I would hate to see the hype train go high speed into a fight he is not ready for, so many fighters get there confidence destroyed by being brought up the ranks to fast. lets see him fight someone with better takedowns and td defense, before we say he is the next great generation.

Post #4   1/3/12 1:53:40PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
Amazingly, people used to say the same about Huerta. Lets hope that Hettes accomplishes more in his fighting career.

Post #5   1/3/12 3:47:20PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Hettes looked good, and his grappling style was very appealing...
However, he was fighting Phan. Not exactly elite competition.

Let's see him against someone ranked a higher than Phan.
Hettes vs Hioki, please (I know it's not realistic but I still want to see it).

Last edited 1/3/12 10:33PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   1/3/12 10:31:52PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
Hettes, rory macdonald, Michael McDonald are prime examples of the new talent coming in to the sport. who knows were they will go from here but so far all of them have been impressive. theres some other guy too, i think his last name starts with a "J", i heard he's got a title or something. jones maybe.

Post #7   1/4/12 12:51:09AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

slow down the hype train just a little bit, can this kid use good standup, what if he faces someone he can't take down? He's a good bjj grappler, but I consider the new generation to be not only confident and varied in the sub attempts but also to be well rounded, training with Edgar should help his standup, but we will have to wait and see. I would hate to see the hype train go high speed into a fight he is not ready for, so many fighters get there confidence destroyed by being brought up the ranks to fast. lets see him fight someone with better takedowns and td defense, before we say he is the next great generation.

Post #8   1/4/12 7:40:51AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
From what I've seen, his technique on the feet doesn't show as good as it should because he's excitable. It looks like he abandons technique when his adrenaline gets going when striking... efficiency of motion suffers, and the hands drop too often. A lot of younger fighters are like that. The skills are there standing for where he's at in the UFC, he's very accurate, he's just gotta calm the excitement/nerves and strike offensively and defensively the way he practices every day to limit opportunities for his opponent to clock him. Not that it's easy to concentrate on all the fundamentals mid-brawl, but as his stand-up improves, there's also room for improvement in maintaining focus on the basics. Unless he proves to have an iron chin, and then F the basics.

Post #9   1/4/12 9:25:32AM