Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 141's Johny Hendricks says the time has come for his title shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's hard to understand the significance of Johny Hendricks' recent accomplishment without fully understanding the ones his opponent has racked up over the years.

In 15 UFC fights, no opponent had ever knocked out or submitted Fitch, and only one – welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre – had even defeated him.

Thanks to Hendricks' trusty left hand, that all ended in 12 seconds at at UFC 141.

"I want a title shot," he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) during a post-UFC 141 special. "If they don't give it to me, I'm not going to complain or anything. But I sort of see myself right there. I did what GSP couldn't do."

LINK

Post #1   1/1/12 12:06:52PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:
I'm on board with Hendricks getting a title shot, he is on a 3 fight winning streak and finished the number 2 WW, in seconds.

If anything have him fight Koscheck if he beats Pierce for number 1 contender.

Post #2   1/1/12 12:14:17PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Um not so much...i would bet Fitch wins that fight 9 outta 10 times...

Hendricks I doubt beats Ellenberger or Rumble On his best day...funny what peeps think after a lucky punch gets thru...

Last edited 1/1/12 12:15PM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/1/12 12:14:38PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:765-371
Chips:
I think he's getting ahead of himself and suspect he'll be standing in line for quite a while.

This isn't to take anything away from what he accomplished but I think this was more of a good stepping stone for him than a title shot statement. I always find it hard to base a lot of hype on an underdog's quick first round KO or sub like that where they just happen to find the sweet spot or their opponent makes a mistake.

Offhand, I'm thinking of moments like Ortiz over Bader, Jung over Hominick, and Matyushenko over Brilz. They're all 'wow' moments but it's hard to make accurate predictions after these kinds of fights.

I'd look for more consistency with top contenders before a title shot. There's so much going on in that division as it is, by the time GSP is back and title shots are happening it'll be next year anyway. Plenty of time for Hendricks to build the hype if things continue to move in his favour.

Post #4   1/1/12 12:28:47PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I don't think Hendricks punch was a lucky punch.

I do however think Hendricks is in the same boat as Nate Diaz, who also wants a title shot. Needs another two or at least 1 fight, and that 1 fight being a no.1 contender fight.

They both did beat some contenders, Hendricks beat the higher up guy in Fitch the no.2 or no.3 guy in WW. Maybe Hendricks and Ebersole.

Ellenberger vs Hendricks would be good, but hate to see someone lose there and I don't think UFC matches them up b/c they are rising up and knocking one of them off loses a contender when your current champ is out w/ an injury.

Post #5   1/1/12 12:57:02PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
I dont have a problem with hendricks getting the next shot at GSP. I definetly want GSP to fight someone he hasnt fought. I dont need to see GSP vs Koscheck again. So hopefully Dana keeps Kos away from all this. No offense to Kos,just my viewing preference.

Post #6   1/1/12 1:02:09PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,933-1,134
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Instead of Hendricks fighting GSP, it would make more sense for him to fight for the Interim title and face the winner of Diaz and Condit.

Post #7   1/1/12 1:18:16PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,234
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
no offense JH, but not quite yet...I'd say 1 more win against a big name, then if you win you get it

Post #8   1/1/12 1:32:38PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

Instead of Hendricks fighting GSP, it would make more sense for him to fight for the Interim title and face the winner of Diaz and Condit.

I like it Rabi!!

Post #9   1/1/12 1:44:04PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Hendricks I doubt beats Ellenberger or Rumble On his best day...funny what peeps think after a lucky punch gets thru...

That's fine Fitch could beat him 9 out of 10 times, but this 1 one win that just happened just crushed Fitch's title hopes for a while, and propelled Hendricks to contention.

That was nowhere near a lucky punch, Hendricks caught him plain and simple. It's not like Fitch slipped and got caught or anything like that.

Post #10   1/1/12 1:51:35PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Come on man, are you serious with this post? Who cares if Fitch could hypothetically beat Hendricks 9 times out of 10. He lost when the fight actually happened and he lost violently.

And how was that a lucky punch? Because Hendricks was a big underdog? That shouldn't discredit the punch that he threw to knock him out. He had intentions to knock Fitch out with that punch and he did. It's literally that simple.

Post #11   1/1/12 2:09:23PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
It's a great exciting time for the welterweight divison with gsp out and all these exciting hungry contenders fighting each other off. Ellenberger if he beats sanchez deserves mentioning but if Diego wins hes only a fight or 2 away himself.

I think Hendricks needs just one more big fight. Either the winner of koschek/pierce or diego/Ellenberger. Kampman is up their too.

Post #12   1/1/12 2:12:37PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
From our sample size, Hendricks knocks Fitch out in 12 seconds 100 out of 100 times.

GTFO with the 9 out of 10 talk that floods MMA boards.

Post #13   1/1/12 2:21:13PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
man hendricks is nasty, cant believe he did that fitch. that was awesome. i think he could get a title now if there wasnt the interim n no GSP, he has a winning streak and just beat the no 2 WW in stunning fashion, have seen guys get them for less.. the ww div is just soo stacked right now cant wait for the matches in 2012

gsp being out for most if not all of 2012 is in my view pretty good for the
WW div they can set so much up with the interim title & contender matches, w/o having to worry about guy getting dominated by gsp n then have a bunch of kos around who really cant fight for the title anymore if gsp is there. plus when GSP does come back it will create a lot of buzz.

Post #14   1/1/12 2:31:09PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,933-1,134
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Hendricks fighting the winner of Koscheck/Pierce works if Koscheck wins, but as he beat Pierce in August there is no point in them fighting again!

Post #15   1/1/12 2:31:28PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2