Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Brock "This is the last time you'll see me in the octagon,"

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
Story here

"LAS VEGAS -- Brock Lesnar took one last kick to his stomach and crumpled at the side of the cage, unable to fight back when Alistair Overeem pounced.

Lesnar had been finished by a 6-foot-5 Dutch kick boxer in the first round at UFC 141. A few minutes later, the UFC's former heavyweight champion finished his own meteoric mixed martial arts career.

Lesnar retired from the UFC after Overeem stopped him with one vicious kick to the body at 2:26 of the first round in their heavyweight bout Friday night, leaving the UFC heading into 2012 without its biggest pay-per-view star.

"This is the last time you'll see me in the octagon," Lesnar said."

This is the right move i think for him personally, i dont see him being able to beat top 3 HW so no title he is stuck, and will be nothing more then a title elim fighter...he is no longer truely relevent and doesnt seem to want to fight. Best to stop now keep a respectiableish record. Sucks for UFC a big loss PPV wise.

Post #1   12/31/11 2:34:01AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,254-836
Chips:
Glad this whole charade is over. Never rated him as a fighter, but as everyone knows, when you're a big heavyweight you always have that chance. I hope this is the last WWE 'fighter' we have imported for ratings.

Post #2   12/31/11 5:24:10AM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
CAN YOU SEE ME NOWWWWWW

CANNNN YOU SEEE ME NOWWWWWWWWWWW

Not anymore apparently.

Post #3   12/31/11 7:36:02AM   

anthrofighter

Learning to Sprawl

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by moob

Glad this whole charade is over. Never rated him as a fighter, but as everyone knows, when you're a big heavyweight you always have that chance. I hope this is the last WWE 'fighter' we have imported for ratings.

then why did u pick him to win? show some respect man.

Post #4   12/31/11 8:15:55AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:

Posted by moob

well that just makes him even better then you think if he just beat Randy, Mir, Herring and Carwin by fluke right? you dont beat those guys "by chance" and by being big
Im not a Lesnar fan either, but that is absurd and borderline retarded.

Post #5   12/31/11 8:52:25AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,069-1,288
Chips:
Why are people hating on Brock?? The guy was champ and beat some solid competition.
I would have loved to see Brock in his early 20s in MMA. Im surprised he came back at all after such a massive operation.
He brought MMA a ton of new fans and he will be missed, best of luck to him.

Post #6   12/31/11 8:58:06AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

Why are people hating on Brock?? The guy was champ and beat some solid competition.
I would have loved to see Brock in his early 20s in MMA. Im surprised he came back at all after such a massive operation.

Post #7   12/31/11 9:39:14AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Brock didn't look like he had his head in that fight at all. He didnt shoot even once on Overeem. I hope he wasn't just in there to collect a paycheck

Post #8   12/31/11 10:22:43AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,254-836
Chips:

Posted by anthrofighter

Posted by moob

then why did u pick him to win? show some respect man.

The answer to that is in my first post...

Post #9   12/31/11 10:33:38AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by moob

Charade eh? Do you say that about all former UFC champs?

Post #10   12/31/11 10:51:24AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by moob

Exactly. Shit like that is the reason I hate MMA fans sometimes.

Give me a f'ing break. He beat some of the sport's all-time greats and you're going to call it a charade?

Post #11   12/31/11 11:25:11AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by warglory

Posted by moob

Exactly. Shit like that is the reason I hate MMA fans sometimes.

Give me a f'ing break. He beat some of the sport's all-time greats and you're going to call it a charade?

Not to mention taking on the best in the world after no amateur fights and only 1 pro fight. No padding of records, no tune up fights, no taking his time to develop his weaknesses like pretty much everyone else under the sun. Not bad for a charade. Barnett, Big Tim, Peter Aerts, JLB, and Sakuraba all had pro wresting matches last night, so I guess we'll hope those charades also come to an end shortly.

Post #12   12/31/11 11:52:47AM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,004-584
Camp: TKO
Chips:
So Lesnar lost to the Demolition Man. He's not the first. That liver shot would have put most men down. Lesnar still would run over the majority of heavyweights, be a big gatekeeper and collect big $$. He accomplished a lot in a short career. The man earned a right to retire with no shame. Give the man credit for choosing his health and family over money and fame. The UFC is not a good place to be if your heart isn't in fighting anymore.

Post #13   12/31/11 12:16:26PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:
Brock is going to have a place in the story when people look back at the sport years from now. He was a huge draw, an incredible athlete, and most impressively he came in and won against a couple of future hall of famers and a couple other guys that were considered near the top of the division at one point or another. The guy was a complete novice in the stand up game and didn't love to get hit, but he won anyways and even landed a couple of memorable strikes while on the feet against Herring and Randy. Those that discredit him only discredit themselves as fans of the sport and maybe as people by saying he was a farce, or a joke or whatever. He accomplished a shit ton in the short time he was in MMA.

Two side notes about the fight last night:
It seems to me that the little voice in Brock's head that was worried about getting hit in the stomach where he's had the surgeries was not so little and contributed to the way he looked out there last night. Having AO across from him may have had something to do with it too. I think it's natural for someone to worry about getting hit in the spot they had surgery on from a disease that could have killed them.

Secondly, when Brock talked, people in the arena STFU and listened. Not many guys carry that kind of power in this sport. Brock's involvement in MMA was a terrific thing for the sport and the UFC. It was a fun ride, we should be grateful.

Last edited 12/31/11 12:27PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   12/31/11 12:24:57PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

keyboard warriors just love to hate

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #15   12/31/11 12:41:23PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3