Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Golden Glory legal team wins judgement to garnish Overeem's UFC 141 wages

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In the latest legal salvo between Alistair Overeem and his former managers at Golden Glory, a lawyer for the MMA team today obtained a pre-judgement from a judge to garnish the fighter's wages for his bout tonight against Brock Lesnar.

The order requires the Nevada State Athletic Commission to withhold a $241,285.49 check Overeem is slated to receive for the fight, which headlines UFC 141 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"It would have been ideal if a lawsuit could have been avoided," Roderick J. Lindblom, the lawyer representing the MMA team, stated in a press release issued today. "We wish Alistair well in the fight, and in fact, have a financial interest in his continued success. Unfortunately, my clients simply had no choice."

A bond of $200,000 is required to execute the order; however, it is unknown whether that bond has been deposited to the Clark County, Nevada court in which it was filed.

"Whatever valid order is in effect, we will certainly comply with," UFC chief legal counsel Laurence Epstein today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

On Thursday Lindblom, who represents Golden Glory and its corporate parent Knockout Investments, filed suit in a Clark County alleging that Overeem breached a management agreement struck in Holland four years ago.

"There has been some consternation about the timing of a lawsuit filed by Knock Out Investments/Golden Glory against Alistair Overeem," today's release stated. "We've been in discussions with Mr. Overeem's legal counsel since Nov. 7, and there has been no progress regarding the dispute.

"The reality is that a fighter is paid within 24 hours of the bout. Given past failure to pay management and training fees, there is serious concern on my client’s part that Mr. Overeem will simply walk away with the money. "

The judgement applies to 30 percent of Overeem's show and win purses, any performance bonuses he may receive, and any proceeds he may receive from the pay-per-view event per his UFC contract...

Full Story

Post #1   12/30/11 8:46:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Chips:
Nice. Golden Glory seemed like they were in the right.

Post #2   12/31/11 1:49:27AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
This Golden glory deal with the interaction of fighter purses i would say could be a good thing when dealing with the likes of K1, Dream, Dynamite events and other Asian promoters as it seems to be a complete different set of rules over there with the way the fighters purses are contracted. Having a branded team go after your wages in such events is a way of security for these fighters as Promotions such as Dream and K1 especially have a history of changing agreements and not paying fighters for their fights. As for these types of Golden Glory teams having a hand in the UFC, it is not needed as far as i can see. We've seen on many occasions on the likes of Dana White's Video blogs back stage that these fighters always get handed their Checks within minutes of the event ending. I Don't really fully understand what type of an arrangement Overeem has with Golden glory under his UFC contact, but he needs to get rid of them. Overeem will be paid accordingly without Golden glory being apart of his UFC career.

Last edited 12/31/11 11:17AM server time by LightsOUT23
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   12/31/11 11:15:23AM   

MuayThaiGeek13

MMA Regular

Career:115-75
Chips:
Overeem says he's heard nothing if this lol

Post #4   12/31/11 2:08:50PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LightsOUT23

This Golden glory deal with the interaction of fighter purses i would say could be a good thing when dealing with the likes of K1, Dream, Dynamite events and other Asian promoters as it seems to be a complete different set of rules over there with the way the fighters purses are contracted. Having a branded team go after your wages in such events is a way of security for these fighters as Promotions such as Dream and K1 especially have a history of changing agreements and not paying fighters for their fights. As for these types of Golden Glory teams having a hand in the UFC, it is not needed as far as i can see. We've seen on many occasions on the likes of Dana White's Video blogs back stage that these fighters always get handed their Checks within minutes of the event ending. I Don't really fully understand what type of an arrangement Overeem has with Golden glory under his UFC contact, but he needs to get rid of them. Overeem will be paid accordingly without Golden glory being apart of his UFC career.

He did get rid of them. But he owed them money. So they sued. And they won. Thus, this happened.

Post #5   12/31/11 3:18:41PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by LightsOUT23

He did get rid of them. But he owed them money. So they sued. And they won. Thus, this happened.

Oh shit, i didn't realize. So whats the deal with the UFC holding onto his 141 purse, is there some danger that Golden glory could get their mits on some of it?

Post #6   1/1/12 11:35:34AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:

Post #7   1/1/12 2:40:06PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

and thats the reason you are the funniest guy on the PG

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #8   1/1/12 3:30:53PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
That is physically impossible. Unless your weiner has hands.

Post #9   1/1/12 6:10:34PM