Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shinya Aoki

Print  
Posted By Message

lahoover78

Learning to Sprawl

Career:858-558
Camp: country KO
Chips:
should he be considered a top 5 lightweight or not ?

Post #1   12/27/11 6:03:30PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I'm a massive fan of Shinya and I try to emulate his style of grappling in my own competitions, but by no means should he be considered a top 5 lightweight. In fact, I would say that it's debatable whether he's still in the top 10.

Post #2   12/27/11 6:20:49PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I feel it's hard to do world wide ranking when the guys aren't fighting in the same org or the same level of competition or people.

I will say he is a top LW fighter, for being only a submission guy.

Post #3   12/27/11 7:11:44PM   

lahoover78

Learning to Sprawl

Career:858-558
Camp: country KO
Chips:
its just that i see alot of ranking systems that rank him in the top 5 and i didnt think he was so i thought i'd see what people thought. another question is can u tell me the best and most accurate ranking site. i'm pretty new at the internet and stuff. the sherdog site looks pretty sweet though

Post #4   12/27/11 7:19:33PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,938-1,607
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think he's still a top 10 lightweight, but not top 5.

Post #5   12/27/11 7:30:28PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i took him out of my top 10. hes a very good fighter, but he just doesnt have top competition to fight, without that i cant accurately rank him.

Post #6   12/27/11 7:42:57PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
No

Post #7   12/27/11 11:25:27PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:531-352
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Until he fights other top 10 guys then I don't think he should be ranked at all, I think the guys he fights in Dream are walkovers Rich Clementi, Rob McCullough & Lyle Beerbohm were his last 3 opponents and he beat them all by submission, But guys like Edgar, Guida, Miller, Cerrone fight other top 10/elite LW fighters and deserve a top ten spot, Aoki needs to step up his level in competition maybe make the move over to the UFC, but until he does he won't have the credibility to be in any top ten ranking IMO.

Post #8   12/28/11 1:43:59AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I have him at number 9 currently but I can see the majority of the guys in the top 20 beating him. It's just a matter of actually having those fights.

Post #9   12/28/11 3:44:37AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
I really think hes top 3 in a dream ring but nowhere near top ten in american cage.

Post #10   12/29/11 9:24:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I guess i'll be the dissenting voice in the thread.

I think Aoki is a top ten, who can absolutely beat certain fighters in the top 5.

He's like Hettes but more refined, i think you need to be Melendez/Edgar/Maynard to stop him from grappling with you. People aren't prepared for his Judo takedowns and transitions IMO. No one is training to neutralize his style of takedowns because no one else can really emulate his style or even mimic it in training. You could have the best wrestling sprawl in the world, and it won't matter against Aoki.

Miller, Guida, Ben-Hen, Alvarez, Chandler, Cerrone - I would pick Aoki without hesitation against all of them.

Post #11   12/31/11 2:43:39PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I think he's still a top 10 lightweight, but not top 5.

THIS

Post #12   12/31/11 8:06:13PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Aoki could look top 10 against multiple guys in the top 10 and also not look top 20 against multiple guys in the top 20. He's a real matchup play.

After last night there's not even a top 50 LW in Japan (In any organization) for him to face, that he hasn't already faced. He had to face a friend and occasional training partner, Kitaoka, just to face someone who's a top 50 LW, and even that can be debated.

No way to move up the ladder unless he moves to a US organization, and really only a Zuffa one, or they'd have to import a challenge for him in DREAM but who's a top LW not under contract somewhere? Literally no one left to challenge for his title at 155 in Japan. Very curious to see who they can pull out of their hat for his next match in an empty pool.

Hellboy and Kawajiri are at 145 now eyeing Takaya's title, plus they've both combined to fight Aoki 4 times already.

About the best DREAM could import that `might` not be under exclusive contract would be Narantungalag, Masvidal if his contract is over or if he isn't retained, maybe Alessio...... then it gets into the Clementi's and McCullough's he's been facing. None of those will move him up any rankings. Even pulling a Joe Daddy or Pellegrino out of what may be retirements wouldn't do anything, no reward with the risk.

Zuffa or bust if you want to be thought of as a top 5 fighter the way the talent pool is spread in MMA right now.

Last edited 1/1/12 5:22AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   1/1/12 5:15:30AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I think Aoki could look top 10 against multiple guys in the top 10 and also not look top 20 against multiple guys in the top 20. He's a real matchup play.

After last night there's not even a top 50 LW in Japan (In any organization) for him to face, that he hasn't already faced. He had to face a friend and occasional training partner, Kitaoka, just to face someone who's a top 50 LW, and even that can be debated.

No way to move up the ladder unless he moves to a US organization, and really only a Zuffa one, or they'd have to import a challenge for him in DREAM but who's a top LW not under contract somewhere? Literally no one left to challenge for his title at 155 in Japan. Very curious to see who they can pull out of their hat for his next match in an empty pool.

Hellboy and Kawajiri are at 145 now eyeing Takaya's title, plus they've both combined to fight Aoki 4 times already.

About the best DREAM could import that `might` not be under exclusive contract would be Narantungalag, Masvidal if his contract is over or if he isn't retained, maybe Alessio...... then it gets into the Clementi's and McCullough's he's been facing. None of those will move him up any rankings. Even pulling a Joe Daddy or Pellegrino out of what may be retirements wouldn't do anything, no reward with the risk.

Zuffa or bust if you want to be thought of as a top 5 fighter the way the talent pool is spread in MMA right now.

I agree, if I were in Aokis corner I'd call for Stevenson, he's not in his prime and it'd be easy money for both fighters, there Gunna have to call in fighters with 1 fight contracts and hope Aoki can beat them all, If I were Dana I'd send one of your boys out there just to beat him up tbh... But Dana doesn't seem to co-promote Other than the one off when he sent chuck over

If I was Dana I'd send Lauzon over, no huge risk if he loses, good boxing, stylistically a good match for Lauzon and it'll be more exposure, but that's just me

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #14   1/5/12 6:24:30AM