Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Winkeljohn Analyzes Jones Versus Hendo, Evans.

Print  
Posted By Message

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
For his next title defense, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones could face the winner of the Jan. 28 matchup between Rashad Evans and Phil Davis. He could also face Dan Henderson, who’s coming off a win in November over Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Jones’ trainer Mike Winkeljohn likes how the champion matches up against all three possibilities.

“They all present different challenges,” Winkeljohn told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I’m not sure which one’s the biggest. Dan’s big right hand is always a big challenge. [He’s] somebody that could be able to close that gap and find a hole and try to get to Jon’s chin. That’s probably the dilemma with him, but he’s small. I don’t think he can outwrestle Jon. I think Jon beats him everywhere. I don’t think he can hit [Jones] with that right hand.”

LINK

Post #1   12/26/11 4:29:29AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Can't say I disagree with the man, especially since I said pretty much the same thing weeks ago.

Post #2   12/26/11 2:11:20PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think rashad probably has the best chance at beating jones. henderson is always super dangerous but winkeljohn is right about dan being small, i think hendos weight class is MW. i would like to see either fight but i dont really care about davis vs jones. i think jones would dominate davis pretty easily.

Post #3   12/26/11 4:40:46PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Henderson has done just fine against bigger LHw's, he was just fine vs a big LHW in Rampage and took that fight to him just fine.

Post #4   12/26/11 7:00:30PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I'd rather see Henderson fight Machida next. Make that another 5 rounder - Machida's technique and cardio vs Henderson's power and heart.

Post #5   12/26/11 11:31:14PM   

TheBlackChip

MMA Regular

TheBlackChip Avatar

Career:775-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I agree with what Winklejohn says, but I also think you could say the same things about pretty much every LHW challenger. Bones has a size and reach advantage over everyone, and will only be matched when he moves up to HW or a smaller HW cuts weight to fight him. We're definitely in the era where Bones will be a prohibitive favorite over every opponent he faces until someone beats him. The only non HW that may change that is Silva, but for now that's nothing more than a pipe dream IMHO.

Post #6   12/27/11 2:16:06AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by isk

I'd rather see Henderson fight Machida next. Make that another 5 rounder - Machida's technique and cardio vs Henderson's power and heart.

I'd take Machida in a heartbeat. Great match though.

Post #7   12/27/11 2:32:08AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,013-583
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Pretty sure anyone could analyze this one: Jones: stands up until he gets bored/threatened, brutal take down ensues, elbows follow, tko or sub to finish.

Post #8   12/27/11 9:26:07AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Henderson has done just fine against bigger LHw's, he was just fine vs a big LHW in Rampage and took that fight to him just fine.

But he lost the fight with Rampage. Maybe if he'd been bigger/stronger he wouldn't have.

Jones is also even bigger than Rampage, lengthwise even if not width-wise.

That said, Rashad is also a smaller LHW so I don't get why he mentions it for Hendo and not Evans.

Winklejohn really doesn't do much "analysis" in this article TBH. Just a few sentences on each guy.

Personally I think Hendo poses the best challenge. I'd be picking Jones against any of these guys though. Still, this is MMA. You can never count anyone out and we've seen crazier things (than a legit number one contender beating the champ) before.

Post #9   12/27/11 2:22:20PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Shawn91111

But he lost the fight with Rampage. Maybe if he'd been bigger/stronger he wouldn't have.

Jones is also even bigger than Rampage, lengthwise even if not width-wise.

That said, Rashad is also a smaller LHW so I don't get why he mentions it for Hendo and not Evans.

Winklejohn really doesn't do much "analysis" in this article TBH. Just a few sentences on each guy.

Personally I think Hendo poses the best challenge. I'd be picking Jones against any of these guys though. Still, this is MMA. You can never count anyone out and we've seen crazier things (than a legit number one contender beating the champ) before.

that fight with Rampage was razor close and truely one of the most underrated fights. Being bigger or stronger really had nothing to do with it imo

Post #10   12/27/11 6:54:56PM