Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Quick Quote: Chad Mendes isn't ready to fight Jose Aldo

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"The way I see it, Chad Mendes is a great athlete, a very mature kid, but honestly I don't believe he's ready to fight Jose Aldo. I think it's too soon, he needed to fight few more times, but well... I'm not the one to decide that, it's just my opinion on the subject. Jose Aldo is a great champion, you can tell he feels comfortable at the cage and it seems he does what he wants to do in there. He's an impressive guy a while now I'll do whatever it is I can do to help him out. It's a pleasure training with a guy that talented. I can only say "thank you, Jose Aldo.""

- Gray Maynard

LINK

Post #1   12/24/11 10:34:21PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
At first I was like, wait why is Gray Maynard commenting on an issue not in his division? Then I realized he's training with Jose Aldo haha.

Post #2   12/24/11 10:38:27PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Geoffo

At first I was like, wait why is Gray Maynard commenting on an issue not in his division? Then I realized he's training with Jose Aldo haha.

Great decision on Aldo's part by bringing Maynard in. I think Aldo finishes this one. He's proven to do very well against wrestlers in the past.

Post #3   12/24/11 10:58:45PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Well whats forgotten in all this is Aldo has to cut weight to get to 145 and that makes him a differnet fighter...He can train with Gray all he wants but Gray didnt get small Frankie down who is great and if Kenny can come close well.....

Aldo aint finished nobody as of late and is the next GSP....Mendes can very well grind a decision and with teh cut if he keeps pressure on Aldo we see Aldo have a cardio issue....This fight is a good bet for the money on Mendes...Close the distance takes away striking and wears down opponent and this world class BJJ Aldo camp claims is BS...

Post #4   12/24/11 11:21:34PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
$$$$ Money Mendes $$$$ = Next Champ

Post #5   12/24/11 11:44:29PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Well whats forgotten in all this is Aldo has to cut weight to get to 145 and that makes him a differnet fighter...He can train with Gray all he wants but Gray didnt get small Frankie down who is great and if Kenny can come close well.....

Aldo aint finished nobody as of late and is the next GSP....Mendes can very well grind a decision and with teh cut if he keeps pressure on Aldo we see Aldo have a cardio issue....This fight is a good bet for the money on Mendes...Close the distance takes away striking and wears down opponent and this world class BJJ Aldo camp claims is BS...

Boo this man

Post #6   12/24/11 11:57:41PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
If Mendes is not ready now, he will not be ready in a few years. I have watched this sport since it's birth and I have come to the conclusion most fighters do not make significant improvements. Fighters' styles will virtually be similar to what they were when the fighters began their professional careers.

Has GSP gotten better since his fight with Serra and Hughes? I really don't know. I think he is still the same fighter with the same skill set who is only more cautious since his fights with Hughes and Serra - and if that makes him better as a fighter than I guess he has gotten better - but not significantly better.

So to respond to this ridiculous statement made by Maynard, Mendes is very ready for Aldo. Mendes will likely mprove in a few years but I doubt it will be enough to significantly increase his chances.

The reason GSP was able to dominate Hughes and Serra the second time around is because GSP was already a better fighter than Hughes and Serra even when GSP lost to them the first time. I know the previous sentence may make no sense to many of you but it is my believe the better fighters do not always win.

Last edited 12/25/11 2:14AM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   12/25/11 2:01:12AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Nobody is ever ready to fight Aldo.

Post #8   12/25/11 3:08:24AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
mendes can beat aldo, aldo will get taken down and elbowed. aldo hasnt finished anyone for a while, i see mendes winning by unan decision.

Post #9   12/25/11 3:40:08AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I love this "Aldo hasn't finished anyone lately" talk. It's been TWO fights. TWO. I guess everyone forgot about the Gamburyan KO because it was so effortless. The transition to the UFC, octagon jitters, increased exposure, etc, could very well have played a factor in Aldo's first two UFC fights.

Throw in the fact that Aldo has been dealing with neck/back injuries this year, that may put a damper on someone's performance. I could have sworn I heard that he has the same neck problems as Peyton Manning.

Does "Money" have a shot at winning the belt from Aldo? Sure. However, I certainly don't think Aldo's most recent performances are enough reason to think so. Money will win or lose due to his skills and conditioning, not Jose's.

Post #10   12/25/11 6:05:51AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,562-1,368
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This lol he's on a different level than everybody in his division, just like gsp. He'll clean the division out then we should move up to 155 imo

Post #11   12/25/11 6:26:18AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Aldo will destroy mendes. Greatest move aldo and maynard could have ever made training with each other.

Post #12   12/25/11 9:10:37AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:
People are giving Aldo too much credit...Mark Hominick went 5 rounds and won a RD...Thats not dominant like GSP....HE absolutely hates the weight cut and he didnt do anything against Kenny Florian...TO say hes gonna walk over a great wrestler is ridiculous...It all depends on Mendes...

Can we agree that if Mendes presses Aldo against the fence Aldo cant punch..>So then what does he have? Mendes gas tank is gonna push Aldo....If he doesnt get caught with a punch...

Also Aldo beating Gamburyan? really who is Manny? Too many people have fought Aldos fight...IF Faber and Mike Brown are fighting in front of Aldo then they are dumb...Seriously doubt anyone would fight a fight Aldo wants to...

Aldo wont leg kick Mendes with a fear of being taken down...

3rd Round TKO Mendes..

Post #13   12/25/11 12:10:30PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This lol he's on a different level than everybody in his division, just like gsp. He'll clean the division out then we should move up to 155 imo

No way GSP hasnt lost a round IMO and Aldo has lost some against Homincick and Florian...Hardly dominant...

Post #14   12/25/11 12:11:47PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

People are giving Aldo too much credit...Mark Hominick went 5 rounds and won a RD...Thats not dominant like GSP....HE absolutely hates the weight cut and he didnt do anything against Kenny Florian...TO say hes gonna walk over a great wrestler is ridiculous...It all depends on Mendes...

Can we agree that if Mendes presses Aldo against the fence Aldo cant punch..>So then what does he have? Mendes gas tank is gonna push Aldo....If he doesnt get caught with a punch...

Also Aldo beating Gamburyan? really who is Manny? Too many people have fought Aldos fight...IF Faber and Mike Brown are fighting in front of Aldo then they are dumb...Seriously doubt anyone would fight a fight Aldo wants to...

Aldo wont leg kick Mendes with a fear of being taken down...

3rd Round TKO Mendes..

I can see where you are coming from. I think if Mendes had beaten Rani Yahya a little more convincingly, I would give money more of a chance. But that was a very uninspiring performance. If Mendes is as tentative in taking Aldo down as he was Yahya, it will be a short night. I know Yahya has better ground credentials... But still, I think even if Aldo didn't use his leg kicks, he would just out-box Mendes. But Aldo didn't have any problem snapping of those leg kicks against Faber....

I give Mendes a good shot in this match, but I am rolling with Aldo on this one.

Last edited 12/25/11 3:47PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: damn predictive text

Post #15   12/25/11 3:07:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2