Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St. Pierre Named One of the Most Overhyped Athletes of 2011

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,250-1,376
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Couldn't agree more!
Could throw a few other names as far as "safe" goes.

Post #16   12/24/11 9:24:16AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
The man ruins his opponents, and brings home the bacon. How is anything about GSP overhyped?

Don't like his style? Fine, but prove to me that the man doesn't back up his tenure as a star attraction.

Post #17   12/24/11 9:53:55AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:

Posted by landstander

Slightly off topic, could someone explain to me why people think Clay Guida is an exciting fighter? His style revolves around pushing people up against the cage and doing nothing to finish or taking them down and doing nothing to finish. Yet people cream their pants for his fights. The fight he loses are pretty exciting, no offence intended to clay, I just don't understand what fans want.

I agree 100% lol. To me the most action you see in a Guida fight is his walk to the cage. Other than that he generally hugs lesser opponents to death.

Post #18   12/24/11 10:05:04AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Can't deny how athletic and explosive GSP is. He does fight smart. Call that safe if you will. I can't knock him for having a gameplan and sticking to it. I have, however, become bored with his fights. They're just not exciting to me.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #19   12/24/11 10:10:11AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
you have to add the UD to his intials. GSPUD.

But all this is mostly opinion, b/c who gets to say on who is "named" it.

Post #20   12/24/11 11:02:26AM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by warglory

The man ruins his opponents, and brings home the bacon. How is anything about GSP overhyped?

Don't like his style? Fine, but prove to me that the man doesn't back up his tenure as a star attraction.

I wouldnt say he ruins them and definitely doesnt back up his ppv numbers with excitement. Too me Its a tragedy millions of people will pay to watch that shit, but only a few hundred thousand would watch shogun vs Henderson which was the greatest fight ever...

Post #21   12/24/11 11:36:33AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Posted by warglory

I wouldnt say he ruins them and definitely doesnt back up his ppv numbers with excitement. Too me Its a tragedy millions of people will pay to watch that shit, but only a few hundred thousand would watch shogun vs Henderson which was the greatest fight ever...

Post #22   12/24/11 11:53:10AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
I see what he is saying, how can one guy be so skilled & athletic but not finish people?? his last finish was in 2009 and even though he has had 13 finishes vs 8 dec; we will in a society that i what have you done for me lately. I am a gsp fan but i wont buy one his ppv or go to the bar unless the rest of the card is good. he no longer fights to win or take any chances at all. makes sense when he gets all this attention and hype & then lays an egg come fight time

side note: and as far as the manny pacquiao comment, he will go after his opponent and make it a fight, plus i think he won against marquez, marquez fights backing up and manny landed more punches

Post #23   12/24/11 12:58:53PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't really know why Guida is being brought into this, but just as a point, if you think Guida is boring you must hate fights being finished. He lost to Bendo (he probably wasn't the one laying on his opponnent), he did lay and pray with Pettis, he subbed Gomi and during the fight dropped him with some head kicks, he BROKE Dos Anjos' jaw, and he arm triangled Gugerty. I can see how the Pettis fight would leave a bad taste in people's mouths, but to claim he's a boring fighter is rather ignorant. A man who does finish fights can hardly be considered a "boring" fighter. Hell, Chael Sonnen rarely finishes fights but people are all about him. This complete lack of consistency is a bit baffling, but then again MMA fans are notoriously fickle.

Post #24   12/24/11 1:31:00PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:
MMA fans, (myself included) have a weird way of tearing down any superstars that get too popular.

Fedor, GSP, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell have all had it happen and now Jon Jones is going through it.

Its like a guy is a god until he hits a critical mass point in popularity. Then we all turn on them, either for not meeting our lofty expectations we've set for them in the cage or outside it.

If you want fans to like you it seems the key is to never be champion, it will be interesting to see how long it is before we all hate Dos Santos.

Post #25   12/24/11 1:50:52PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
The long 5 round fights have a little bit to do with fighters being more conservative too. If you blow your load in the 1st 2 rounds of a 5 round fight, no matter how good you are you"re gonna be in trouble. Ex. Hendo vs Shogun: Hendo went for it and almost got Shogun outta there (which I love) and was holding on for dear life late. How a fighter chooses to fight is his call imo. On the other hand, when GSP opens up and goes for broke its a thing of beauty. And there is nothing more satisfying than when a fighter finishes fights.

Post #26   12/24/11 2:12:09PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,662-1,458
Chips:
I dont get how people associate "safe" with being "overhyped". Sure Georges likes to play it safe but he's still one of the most dominant mma champs the world has ever seen.

Post #27   12/24/11 3:01:50PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The only guy I wanna see GSP fight at this point is Nick Diaz.

Diaz will work him standing and make him work on the ground. GSP might be able to ride a decision from the top, but Diaz won't let it be easy. He'll be going for subs and strikes from the bottom the whole time.

Post #28   12/24/11 4:38:58PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

I dont get how people associate "safe" with being "overhyped". Sure Georges likes to play it safe but he's still one of the most dominant mma champs the world has ever seen.

I think your confusing overrated and overhyped. Dude gets rap songs in his UFC PPV commercials acting like itll be a war, and Its more like some slow ass elton john piano song more like what it should be...

Post #29   12/25/11 9:00:14AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Posted by warglory

When was the last time anyone came close to beating GSP? Shields, who merely made it competitive? And contrary to your opinion, the PPV numbers are high, so clearly someone wants to watch the man.

Post #30   12/26/11 8:19:17PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3