Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Georges St. Pierre Named One of the Most Overhyped Athletes of 2011

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Georges St. Pierre may be one of the top draws in the UFC, but he has not been immune from criticism as of late for his risk-averse style while Anderson Silva and Jon Jones continue to finish opponents with flash. Now, sidelined for the rest of 2011 and much (if not all) of 2012, it appears that St. Pierre's time being thought of as one of the two most elite fighters in the sport may be over.

St. Pierre's 2011 campaign and inability to get a stoppage win since early 2008 has him on Perry Lefko's list of the most overhyped athletes of 2011 at Sportsnet.ca:

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White said in December 2011 that St-Pierre is still the most popular athlete in Canada in terms of his international recognition -- we're not so sure about that -- but the welterweight champion is sidelined indefinitely with damaged knee ligaments. And even before his injury, St-Pierre was taking verbal shots from the public, the media and fighters for his inability to put away opponents.

He grabbed the international spotlight in April for headlining the first UFC card in Toronto, producing GSP mania. A record UFC crowd of more than 55,000 packed the Rogers Centre to finally see the conquering Canadian hero and he went the full five rounds with Jake Shields in what was more of a clinic on how not to lose a fight than actually win it.

Yes, GSP had problems seeing out of one eye because of a shot in the fight, but we've seen fighters with far bigger issues turn it up a notch. It was boring at best and continued a pattern of St-Pierre going the full distance without delivering the knockout blow or submission. Heck, the fight before it on the card was way more entertaining than the main event.

LINK

Post #1   12/23/11 10:01:29PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
figures

Post #2   12/23/11 10:54:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Agreed

Georges Safe Pierre

Last edited 12/23/11 11:13PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   12/23/11 11:12:46PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
"GSP had problems seeing out of one eye because of a shot in the fight, but we've seen fighters with far bigger issues turn it up a notch"
Yeah cause these fighters aren't fighting Jake Shields or Josh Koschecks of the division.

Interesting article, I agree with some of it. But GSP overhyped... no.

Post #4   12/23/11 11:36:49PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
The dude is a hater....most dominant WW fighter in the world is over hyped.....that comment is blatantly over opinionated by a person who doesn't have a clue what it takes to even be allowed to step in the cage with b level opponents much less one of GSP's level. Dude is probably a fat lazy balding journalist spouting ignorance to cover up for the size of his penis.

Post #5   12/23/11 11:41:17PM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
If they want the sport to be more spectator friendly they should change the rules. ALL sports do it(except the ones that don't want to entertain their fans)! I have not seen a GSP fight that I thought was boring.

Slightly off topic, could someone explain to me why people think Clay Guida is an exciting fighter? His style revolves around pushing people up against the cage and doing nothing to finish or taking them down and doing nothing to finish. Yet people cream their pants for his fights. The fight he loses are pretty exciting, no offence intended to clay, I just don't understand what fans want.

Post #6   12/23/11 11:58:14PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by landstander

If they want the sport to be more spectator friendly they should change the rules. ALL sports do it(except the ones that don't want to entertain their fans)! I have not seen a GSP fight that I thought was boring.

Slightly off topic, could someone explain to me why people think Clay Guida is an exciting fighter? His style revolves around pushing people up against the cage and doing nothing to finish or taking them down and doing nothing to finish. Yet people cream their pants for his fights. The fight he loses are pretty exciting, no offence intended to clay, I just don't understand what fans want.

Guida had a war with Diego Sanchez close to fight of year...thats about it...

Post #7   12/24/11 12:31:03AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:281-172
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Its the truth though. Not talent wise but when your the top draw with all that talent and skill, and fight so dull Its pretty ridiculous.

Post #8   12/24/11 12:41:29AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
GSP even said it himself that he fights safe.

Post #9   12/24/11 1:21:00AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:
He may fight a little safe but you can't question his athleticism.

Post #10   12/24/11 1:24:05AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
When was the last time Manny Pacquiao finished an opponent, but you never hear media bring that up, they proclaim him as the best p4p fighter in boxing when in his last fight he should have lost by a mile, GSP may fight safe but he gets the results needed, until the next Matt Serra to come along can dethrone GSP not much can be done. Although I think he needs to be more ruthless and try to finish his opponents off in his fights.

Post #11   12/24/11 1:28:38AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by landstander

Totally agree about guida.

How can people complain about Fitch, GSP, ect. and like Guida?

The only difference as far as I can see is that he's got longer hair.

The sanchez fight was exciting. So was his fight with Florian. He's only exciting when he's getting his ass kicked.

Post #12   12/24/11 1:46:36AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
the only fight that bored me was the shields fight and some of the hardy fight, i thought highes III fitch and serra were all entertaining and the koscheck fight was pretty decent too, the ufc just hasn't put a quality opponent out infront of him except for koscheck in the last 2 years, think about it, hardy and shields had no business in there with him and he has only fought 3 time sin the last 2 years

Post #13   12/24/11 3:36:18AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Perhaps he is overhyped. Or maybe it's the contenders he faces that are overhyped. Those UFC Primetime episodes they do every time GSP fights are ridiculous. For me though, no amount of countdown shows or other hype will be sufficient for me to get excited for GSP.

I don't think I know a single person who is a GSP fan. I respect him for being the champion, and what he has done in the sport. He just plain bores me though. Then I watch Condit KO Hardy (and Lytle subbing him) and I just get pissed all over again.

He gets on his bike, jabs, and lay and prays better than anyone in the sport though.

Post #14   12/24/11 7:35:58AM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:

Posted by landstander

most people tend to "go with the crowd" If you have 4 people liking fighter A and 1 who really likes fighter B. The 1 will usually say he like fighter A instead just so he's not an outcoast. Make sense???

I myself like any fighter that goes out there and fights like it's going to be their last one. The Diaz brothers, Edgar, Sonnen ect. I'm not saying I would like to hang out with them( although that would be cool), but guys like this know what they want to do, and try to do it. Win or lose, it's left in the cage.

Post #15   12/24/11 8:26:51AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3