Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Think Brock Lesnar Can't Take a Punch? He Begs to Differ

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As isolated as Brock Lesnar is in his Minnesota training camp, and as successfully as he manages to avoid the internet most of the time, some criticisms still find their way out of the petri dish of MMA and into the former UFC champ's world. But as he told me when I spoke to him for a Sports Illustrated story this week, the key is not so much in avoiding those criticisms entirely, but rather in knowing what to make of them once they get there.

For instance, take the oft-repeated claim that Lesnar can't take a punch.

"I think it's a bunch of bulls---," Lesnar said. "The fights that I've gotten hit, I've stood and banged with Heath Herring, Randy Couture, Frank Mir -- I've taken a lot of shots. I mean, Shane Carwin. And I've yet to be knocked out. I had refs stop a fight for a submission and a TKO, which is a referee stoppage. I've never been knocked out cold."

LINK

Post #1   12/22/11 9:12:04AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
He has a great "chin" but doesn't react well to being hit in the face.

Post #2   12/22/11 11:25:26AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
I don't think anyone on earth reacts well to being hit in the face, but Brock reacted pretty well IMO against Carwin and Couture, got messed up by Cain but shit happens.

Post #3   12/22/11 11:49:48AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Chips:
"There's criticism. I don't know if it's just that people don't like to see other people succeed, or just if they want to see them fail."

Post #4   12/22/11 11:50:43AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

I don't think anyone on earth reacts well to being hit in the face, but Brock reacted pretty well IMO against Carwin and Couture, got messed up by Cain but shit happens.

id say there alot of fighters who react to getting hit well, liking it and recting are to 2 different things, no one wants to get hit but there are fighters who thrive in that moment and lesnar is not one of them, in the carwin & cain, he just turtled up & didnt do anything & couture is not a power puncher.

Post #5   12/22/11 12:09:17PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

Sorry, bud, but I disagree. Couture isn't exactly known for the power in his punches, and Carwin sent Lesnar into the fetal position with the first punch he landed clean, and Lesnar never made it back up until the second round. The guy just doesn't like being hit, plain and simple.

Then again, I'm not too fond of Lesnar at the moment. Watched the countdown last night and I felt like he was blaming all his short comings on his sickness, like Tito always seems to do.

Post #6   12/22/11 12:29:16PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Lesnar1

Sorry, bud, but I disagree. Couture isn't exactly known for the power in his punches, and Carwin sent Lesnar into the fetal position with the first punch he landed clean, and Lesnar never made it back up until the second round. The guy just doesn't like being hit, plain and simple.

I think most people without "lesnar" in their username will agree with this lmao. He does actually seem to have a solid chin, but he turtles and freezes up when he starts getting hit hard. Most high level fighters will stumble a little bit, possibly get knocked down, but he starts doing backflips and cartwheels and curling into the fetal position.

This is natural for anyone not used to being punched, but as a fighter, obviously, you need to condition that reaction out of your system.

Post #7   12/22/11 12:53:55PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
stood and banged with Herring? he landed one punch in the opening seconds and then the rest of the fight was on the ground. anytime Mir landed a punch he immediately went for the TD. Randy has little punch power, not enough to scare anyone away.

Carwin touches his face and he turtles up. Cain punches him and we see the disco twirl. i cant wait to see what he does when Overeem lands a punch

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   12/22/11 1:00:31PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Carwin touches his face and he turtles up. Cain punches him and we see the disco twirl. i cant wait to see what he does when Overeem lands a punch

I'm personally expecting the opening seconds of that fight to mirror the Lesnar/Herring fight.

Post #9   12/22/11 1:02:09PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

I'm personally expecting the opening seconds of that fight to mirror the Lesnar/Herring fight.

Turtleing up worked with Carwin, But I don't think Brock will have to worry about turleing up against Reem, he'll take him down and finish the fight. It's 4 in the morning in Australia and I have yet to have a coffee so my earlier opinions could have been a tad bias

Post #10   12/22/11 1:12:05PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Chips:
Link
Thought I'd throw this in.

Last edited 12/22/11 1:22PM server time by Lesnar1
Edit note/reason: Messed link up.

Post #11   12/22/11 1:20:54PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
I've been a fan of Brock Lesnars ever since I saw him rush the ring in WWE and take 2 chair shots to the face from Matt and Jeff Hardy.....

Post #12   12/22/11 1:28:28PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I think he can take a punch for sure. Not many people can take a beating like that from Carwin and stay standing.

Post #13   12/22/11 3:35:23PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

Against Carwin he shied away and turtled up.

Against Couture he dove for the takedown.

Cain is self explanatory.

As far as no-one "reacts well to being hit in the face," my coach, Bartimus, walks right through punches without even flinching. Maybe not the best idea sometimes, but I would certainly say he reacts well.

Post #14   12/22/11 6:15:06PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I think he can take a punch for sure. Not many people can take a beating like that from Carwin and stay standing.

Um....

Post #15   12/22/11 6:16:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2