Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jake O'brien

Print  
Posted By Message

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
Why are they giving kid another can? I mean isn't time to put him with someone that push him? why not big Timmy?

Post #1   5/16/07 11:59:33AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
herring was no can he just looked like one that night

Post #2   5/16/07 2:46:09PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by pharside

Why are they giving kid another can? I mean isn't time to put him with someone that push him? why not big Timmy?

I don't thin kO'Brian and Tim would be an interesting fight. I think it'll be another case of Tim using his reach and TD defense to keep Jake at bay.

Tim vs. Jake = boring fight

Post #3   5/16/07 4:12:17PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I actually think that Murphy has a shot at winning this fight. At this point in his career, I don't think we can jump to conclusions about the outcome of O'Briens up-coming matches. He is 10-0, but all of his wins except for one came over all unsignificant competition. Excluding Heath, the combined win loss record of Obrien's previous competition is 40-66. 7 out of 9 of those fighters sport losing records with two of them having no wins at all, three of them only having 1 win, and another one having only 2 wins.

And as most of us know, his win over Heath was very un-impressive. Despite 8 of his 10 wins coming via (t)ko, he wanted no part of Heath's striking. And if Heath had any type of a decent ground game, Jake would have been in a lot of trouble. Anywho, I don't know much about Murphy but both of his wins have come by (t)ko so i'm assuming he's got pretty good striking. And almost anybody would have a better ground game than Heath had that night. So if Jake does have a problem with Tom's striking, it'll be interesting to see what happens on the ground.

My whole point is O'brien is not at the level yet where we can put him on that pedistool. I'm assuming the odds will be in his favor, but do to his lack of a descent victory over any notable competition i believe this is 50/50 and it could go either way.

I'm not hopping on any O'Brien bandwagon anytime soon, and I really can't believe anybody thought that he was that dominant in his previous performance that they'd say he is a sure bet win.

Last edited 5/16/07 9:39PM server time by gspfan
Edit note/reason: fixed typos

Post #4   5/16/07 6:09:52PM   

raindrops21

MMA Regular

raindrops21 Avatar

Career:233-107
Camp: KTFO
Chips:

Posted by gspfan

I actually think that Murphy has a shot at winning this fight. At this point in his career, I don't think we can jump to conclusions about the outcome of O'Briens up-coming matches. He is 10-0, but all of his wins except for one came over all unsignificant competition. Excluding Heath, the combined win loss record of Obrien's previous competition is 40-66. 7 out of 9 of those fighters sport losing records with two of them having no wins at all, three of them only having 1 win, and another one having only 2 wins.

And as most of us know, his win over Heath was very un-impressive. Despite 8 of his 10 wins coming via (t)ko, he wanted no part of Heath's striking. And if Heath had any type of a decent ground game, Jake would have been in a lot of trouble. Anywho, I don't know much about Murphy but both of his wins have come by (t)ko so i'm assuming he's got pretty good striking. And almost anybody would have a better ground game than Heath had that night. So if Jake does have a problem with Tom's striking, it'll be interesting to see what happens on the ground.

My whole point is O'brien is not at the level yet where we can put him on that pedistool. I'm assuming the odds will be in his favor, but do to his lack of a descent victory over any notable competition i believe this is 50/50 and it could go either way.

I'm not hopping on any O'Brien bandwagon anytime soon, and I really can't believe anybody thought that he was that dominant in his previous performance that they'd say he is a sure bet win.

Good response except for the fact that you say Herring has a questionable ground game. Herring's ground game is very underrated, but he was completely neutralized by O'Brein who did nothing but lay and pray. Have you seen Herring's fights with Noguiera? Give those a go and watch that ground work. Herring looked unprepared, and I truthfully think he was expecting more stand-ups from the refs.

Now if you would of said Herrings take down defense, I would totally agree with you, because his takedown defense isn't great, and the lack of no knees on the ground really hurts Herring's game.

Post #5   5/16/07 11:27:58PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
Jake O'brien is a horrific mma fighter. His last fight against Herring was one of the worst I've ever seen. He'll get by on his wrestling agianst some opponents but he won't last long in the UFC.

Post #6   5/16/07 11:29:40PM   

raindrops21

MMA Regular

raindrops21 Avatar

Chips:
I don't think he's horrific, he just needs to improve his overall game. He's much like Koscheck was when he started. Strictly wrestler with no stand-up or ground game. I think he needs a few fights out of the UFC to get his game rounded and he could become something good.

I do agree with you though that the Herring/O'Brein fight was very lackluster and O'Brein did hardly anything from the top position even when he had side control and mount.

Post #7   5/16/07 11:37:35PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by raindrops21

Good response except for the fact that you say Herring has a questionable ground game. Herring's ground game is very underrated, but he was completely neutralized by O'Brein who did nothing but lay and pray. Have you seen Herring's fights with Noguiera? Give those a go and watch that ground work. Herring looked unprepared, and I truthfully think he was expecting more stand-ups from the refs.

Now if you would of said Herrings take down defense, I would totally agree with you, because his takedown defense isn't great, and the lack of no knees on the ground really hurts Herring's game.

Right on. I have actually seen the Nog/Herring fights. You are definatly right, his ground game was descent. My only question is, what happened? He did absolutely nothing from the bottom. He tried nothing! You can say that he was neutralized by the lay and prey, but he wasn't even trying. It just gave me the assumption that he had no clue on what to do.

Post #8   5/17/07 12:56:00AM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
You guys are kinda making my point isn't this a step back from Herring? I also think a win is a win, hes there to win not make everyone happy.If he can't stand than make him, he's not going to get better beating up on a bunch of cans. I think a good ass whippin is better for some guys really take a look at their training.

Post #9   5/17/07 9:35:53AM   

raindrops21

MMA Regular

raindrops21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by raindrops21

Right on. I have actually seen the Nog/Herring fights. You are definatly right, his ground game was descent. My only question is, what happened? He did absolutely nothing from the bottom. He tried nothing! You can say that he was neutralized by the lay and prey, but he wasn't even trying. It just gave me the assumption that he had no clue on what to do.

I seriously think he was affected by the rule change. He had north south position more than once and was unable to throw knees from that position because of the rule change. I also think he was expecting O'Brien to be stood up for no action, but as we know the UFC sometimes gives favorable advantages to wrestlers. As far as his submissions and ground game, for some reason he kept going for that anaconda choke when he could have applied a guillotine and would of been much more effective. I don't know how many of you have wrestled, but when a top caliber wrestler has you on your back, it's not easy at all to get up, I don't care who you are. (Except Chuck Liddell). I didn't get to see the Brad Imes/Herring fight either but I expected Heath to finish Imes off rather easily, bu apparently that didn't happen from what I've read.

Hopefully Herring and Nogueira give us a fight like the previous first two, that would make me very happy.

Post #10   5/17/07 9:10:34PM   

JWest12

MMA Regular

JWest12 Avatar

Career:440-254
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
There's no way O'brien is ready for Tim. He will soon be back at the bottom of the HW division after he gets knocked out by Murphy. I'll take any bets on this until i'm out of money if anyone wants to send a wager. I'm sure Murphy will have the edge in the wrestling game and he's also a very good striker. I'm sure Murphy is going to be the underdog also, probably just because people don't know very much about him. If anybody is thinking about him in TUF show, he really didn't show his true skill there, he needed surgery on his leg. If anyone saw UFC 58: USA vs. Canada then you know what Murphy can do.

Post #11   5/17/07 11:05:42PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by JWest12

There's no way O'brien is ready for Tim. He will soon be back at the bottom of the HW division after he gets knocked out by Murphy. I'll take any bets on this until i'm out of money if anyone wants to send a wager. I'm sure Murphy will have the edge in the wrestling game and he's also a very good striker. I'm sure Murphy is going to be the underdog also, probably just because people don't know very much about him. If anybody is thinking about him in TUF show, he really didn't show his true skill there, he needed surgery on his leg. If anyone saw UFC 58: USA vs. Canada then you know what Murphy can do.

Did you see the guy he fought at the USA vs Canada event? Icho is a terrible fighter. Watch his TKO fights. The guys only been training a couple years. He just looks crazy.

Post #12   5/21/07 10:08:50PM   

crocop901

Learning to Sprawl

crocop901 Avatar

Career:338-184
Chips:
pharside

i dont even think jake o'brien should have another fight in the ufc the fight with herring was the most pothetic fight i have watched and it wasent heaths fault and you think that tim would push him i dont think so it would be nothing but a pothetic ground game and tim would eventiually stop him but not in great fashion

Post #13   5/27/07 1:44:28AM