Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gilbert Melendez Says He has Done More Than Ben Henderson to Earn Title Shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,766-1,590
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"I don't feel like I shouldn't be in this position, I'm not crying about my position but I think I've done more than Ben Henderson," told Fighting Famous TV. "You know, these guys were on The Ultimate Fighter - I was already fighting in PRIDE and ranked top three in the world but some people just don't understand that.

"I'm not trying to be a cry baby again, but I just know my history and I've been there. I've already hit these bumps in the road and come back. Some of these guys haven't hit that bump in the road where they have to reinvent themselves and I've already hit that and they're still going to hit that."

- Gilbert Melendez

LINK

Post #1   12/19/11 6:08:17PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,394-794
Chips:
Gil has proved himself worthy of getting a title shot in the UFC, but Ben has done more in my mind. He upset the #1 contenders Miller and Guida in dominating fashion and is undefeated in the UFC. Although Melendez has been a dominate champion in Strikeforce and avenged both his career loses, being in the UFC is a whole 'nother level. If he comes in and can beat someone like Cerrone should he beat Diaz than he deffs deserves the shot but Bendo has done more in the UFC and deserves that shot more than Melendez right now.when they talked about Gil is staying in strikeforce for a while, and how Kenflo or Sherk could move down to face him that would be good for Gil, to get a taste of some the UFC's best before moving over. Although it would be tough for Kenflo and Sherk to decide what to do with their careers should they lose

Post #2   12/19/11 6:25:41PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,700-904
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
i think beating jim miller and guida is more than enough to earn a UFC title shot

Melendez is smoking crack with this statement

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #3   12/19/11 6:37:16PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I'm kinda on the fence about it. On one side I can see why he wants to face Edgar an test himself against the best in the world, hes also beat pretty much everyone Strikeforce have thrown at him and if I'm honest there isn't much left for him to do there.
But on the other he's signed a contract and should honour it, also the level of competition Henderson has faced in the last year dwarfs almost all of competition Melendez has ever faced and he has better hair.

Ben has fought an beaten 3 top ten guys in the last 2 years, he also was in a seriously close fight with Pettis who is a top 10 fighter an if it wasn't for that kick could have won and also beat a tough guy in Bocek. Not to mention he has much better hair.

Melendez in the last 2 years has fought 1 top 10 ranked guy in Aoki as well as beating tough guys like Kawajiri and Ishida but neither of those guys are top 10. They were the best Stirkeforce could come up with but Hendeson has defiantly faced the tougher competition an in my opinion done more to deserve the title shot. Also I feel he hasn't committed to the curly hair lifestyle as much as Ben has which in my book just doesn't fly.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   12/19/11 6:40:38PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-47

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,409-919
Chips:
Melendez < Bendo

Post #5   12/19/11 6:45:14PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I say just have the two of them slug it out!!

Post #6   12/19/11 7:05:23PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Chips:
I'll never be a fan of handing out title shots to fighters who haven't fought in the UFC. AT LEAST have one fight inside the octagon against a top ranked opponent.

Let's look at Shields and Diaz, who had to fight at least once before being handed a shot at the title. Didn't work for Shields, who I thought lost against Kampmann and proved that the competition outside the UFC isn't on the same level. It did work for Diaz though, who we all thought should've been with the UFC all along because he needs to be facing competition on his level.

As for Melendez saying he's done more to earn a title shot.. no, just no. Yeah, beating guys like Masvidal, Aoki, and Kawajiri is impressive, but I don't see them holding anything over the competition Henderson has faced. Not only is the former WEC champion, but he beat two top contenders in the UFC. Sorry, Melendez. But if you want that title shot, you need to come prove it.

Post #7   12/19/11 7:09:35PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Melendez < Bendo

"I'm not trying to be a cry baby again"

Der, ooohh really Gilbert

Last edited 12/19/11 7:42PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   12/19/11 7:41:16PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I'll never be a fan of handing out title shots to fighters who haven't fought in the UFC. AT LEAST have one fight inside the octagon against a top ranked opponent.

Let's look at Shields and Diaz, who had to fight at least once before being handed a shot at the title. Didn't work for Shields, who I thought lost against Kampmann and proved that the competition outside the UFC isn't on the same level. It did work for Diaz though, who we all thought should've been with the UFC all along because he needs to be facing competition on his level.

As for Melendez saying he's done more to earn a title shot.. no, just no. Yeah, beating guys like Masvidal, Aoki, and Kawajiri is impressive, but I don't see them holding anything over the competition Henderson has faced. Not only is the former WEC champion, but he beat two top contenders in the UFC. Sorry, Melendez. But if you want that title shot, you need to come prove it.

Not to be a word nazi here but GIlbert is trying to prove he's the best by fighting the best in Frankie Edgar. Even Maynard was saying Pettis didnt deserve it even though Pettis was going to get it, only reason Maynard got the shot was because he already beat Edgar before.

As far as Gil leapfrogging Bendo, No I dont agree with that because Gil just fought and the scheduling would be off. But I think he could get an immediate title shot just like Nick Diaz was going to get, like Fedor was going to get had he signed, like Gomi wouldve gotten had he signed right away after pride folded, like Hendo got twice after winning pride belts, I think Mach Sakurai was a champ when he fought Matt Hughes.

I think Bendo earned the title shot even without the scheduling problems but all I'm saying is sometimes the right guy for the title shot isnt always in zuffa right away.

Post #9   12/19/11 7:42:04PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Bendo=toMelendez in talent

Post #10   12/19/11 11:34:47PM   

Redkayak

MMA Regular

Redkayak Avatar

Career:112-124
Chips:

Post #11   12/20/11 12:15:55AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

To be fair to Shields, I think the weight cut had A LOT to do with it.

He's way better at MW.

Post #12   12/20/11 1:56:11AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Well that was some of the most incoherent rambling nonsense I've heard from a sober, sane person in a long time.

The Ultimate Fighter and PRIDE? OK? What? Who was on TUF? What are you talking about? Want to fight for the UFC title? Try being in the UFC! That could possibly help, being signed to the organization that you want a title fight in, just a thought there champ. LoL?

Must have gotten some good weed from Nick or something, because this is one of the most poorly formed, nonsense thoughts I've ever seen from an adult human.

Post #13   12/20/11 3:11:59AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Well that was some of the most incoherent rambling nonsense I've heard from a sober, sane person in a long time.

The Ultimate Fighter and PRIDE? OK? What? Who was on TUF? What are you talking about? Want to fight for the UFC title? Try being in the UFC! That could possibly help, being signed to the organization that you want a title fight in, just a thought there champ. LoL?

Must have gotten some good weed from Nick or something, because this is one of the most poorly formed, nonsense thoughts I've ever seen from an adult human.

He might have been aying that while fighters were getting handholds from zuffa he was kicking high ranking *** ass.

Post #14   12/20/11 1:51:06PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,766-1,590
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by FastKnockout

To be fair to Shields, I think the weight cut had A LOT to do with it.

He's way better at MW.

I completely agree. I hope he moves there after the Akiyama fight. He has a lot of reasons to. The weight cut isn't so harsh, he'll be one of the better wrestlers, the match ups are a little more interesting, he'll never be forced into a situation where he'll have to fight Nick and in my opinion he could be champ there.

Post #15   12/20/11 2:45:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2