Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Machida at middleweight?

Print  
Posted By Message

XxPineappleExpressxX

Learning to Sprawl

XxPineappleExpressxX Avatar

Career:99-61
Chips:
I've recently come across an article on mmamania where machida talks about trying to get the belt back and that if he is not the champion a possibility of moving down to middleweight could happen. I think that it would be interesting if he ever were to move down to middleweight because anderson said he would never fight him. What are your thoughts?

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/12/15/2639182/lyoto-machida-claims-to-have-found-a-path-to-get-to-jon-jones

Post #1   12/16/11 2:25:19PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,465-839
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

if Machida went to MW, maybe Andy would go up to 205. I still have wet dreams about all the Anderson Silva 205 matchups.....

Bones
Rampage
Shogun
Rashad
Henderson

Last edited 12/16/11 2:56PM server time by Poor_Franklin
Edit note/reason: n/a

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #2   12/16/11 2:56:36PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-46

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,402-915
Chips:
I think a weight drop would be great for Machida! Alot of potential match-ups

Post #3   12/16/11 3:01:12PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I believe there was an interview where Anderson said he wouldn't fight Jones either. Machida better do something, his only win in the last 2 years was to a guy that hasn't had a legit win in over 4 years. The thing is, Machida isn't a great fighter, he just came in with a style that confused a few people. That style is now in need of being fixed.

Post #4   12/16/11 3:08:51PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If Machida dropped down to MW, who knows if Anderson will still be there fighting. I don't see as an immediate plan so it could be awhile, if we see it at all.

Post #5   12/16/11 3:14:55PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Styles

I believe there was an interview where Anderson said he wouldn't fight Jones either. Machida better do something, his only win in the last 2 years was to a guy that hasn't had a legit win in over 4 years. The thing is, Machida isn't a great fighter, he just came in with a style that confused a few people. That style is now in need of being fixed.

He won't fight Machida or Jones? Don't forget about Chael.

Last edited 12/16/11 3:29PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   12/16/11 3:28:30PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Styles

He won't fight Machida or Jones? Don't forget about Chael.

Post #7   12/16/11 3:31:34PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Styles

Wow, I feel like I'm back in 2007 again when people were doubting Machida's abilities. Can you name 5 lhw, right now, that would beat Machida?

He destroyed Evans, is neck and neck with Shogun, fought to a razor thin decision loss to Rampage, and beat the best lhw in the world in the first round by popular opinion.

Lil nog? Griffin? Mousasi? The only guy outside of the guys listed above is maybe Phil Davis, but Davis I think would get tooled on the feet the same way Evans did.

Post #8   12/16/11 8:40:59PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,629
Chips:
Who will Anderson fights then.....I would love to see them switch weight classes. There is no way that for the right money Silva wouldnt fight Jones. If Machida fought at MW I would want his first match to be against Belcher.

Post #9   12/16/11 11:55:27PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i could see machida at MW. i think there are some great fights for him there. plus there would be another brazilian for chael to talk shit about. but seriously i think he could make the cut pretty good and then silva can move up or retire. we all want silva to take some big fights at LWH and i dont see machida ever getting the LHW title back

Post #10   12/17/11 12:54:47AM   

KNIGHT

MMA Regular

KNIGHT Avatar

Career:1,897-1,052
Chips:
I guess the real question is can he make MW without having to give up drinking urine.

Post #11   12/17/11 2:30:42AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think he can make it fairly easily. He has the discipline to pull it off without much trouble.

Though, he does look bigger than Anderson when the two are side by side. Doubt they fight though. Machida would clean up the division if it happened.

Post #12   12/17/11 2:15:59PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Styles

Wow, I feel like I'm back in 2007 again when people were doubting Machida's abilities. Can you name 5 lhw, right now, that would beat Machida?

He destroyed Evans, is neck and neck with Shogun, fought to a razor thin decision loss to Rampage, and beat the best lhw in the world in the first round by popular opinion.

Lil nog? Griffin? Mousasi? The only guy outside of the guys listed above is maybe Phil Davis, but Davis I think would get tooled on the feet the same way Evans did.

Neck to neck with Shogun? Maybe you would like to go and actually watch both of those fights again, Shogun beat him twice, Shogun made machida look dumb in the second fight. No I don't think Machida would beat Evans again (personal opinion but since you want to give me yours, I will give you mine), and you want to bring up that he won 1 round against the best LHW by popular opinion? Should I applaud Machida for winning an opening round? How did the rest of that fight go by the way? Personally I think Phil Davis, Bader, Lil Nog and Henderson would beat him as well. Since you feel like you're stuck in the past, maybe you would like to go back and look up a post where I said the first person that will beat Machida will be Shogun, and that was before that fight was even talked about. I said that because all it really takes to shake Machida is pressure and Shogun would be the first guy to expose that. Sorry if you disagree but if you're gonna argue your opinion at least include a few facts and something that proves what I said wrong. The only fact that you stated in your argument is that he fought to a split decision loss to Rampage

Fact - His best fight was over 2 years ago against Rashad Evans. Rashad Evans is a different fighter today.

Fact - his only win since that is to a guy who hasn't beaten a contender in over 4 years. Should I be impressed yet?

Fact - Machida is 1-3 in the last 2 years. 2 of those losses he took a brief nap in.

Fact - You were obviously "Wow'd" by what I had to say and what I said was "Machida isn't a GREAT fighter". If Machida was "GREAT" fighter, I would't be able to list any of the previous facts I stated.

Post #13   12/18/11 12:07:07AM