Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce and Showtime announce new deal with eight events and televised prelims

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As expected Strikeforce and Showtime have inked a new deal that will keep the Zuffa-owned fight promotion on the premium-cable station.

Officials today the deal, which calls for up to eight events, though no timeframe was disclosed for the shows.

As part of the deal, main-card bouts will continue to air on Showtime, and preliminary-card fights now will be broadcast on sister channel Showtime Extreme.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Officials suggested that events no longer will be held under the Strikeforce Challengers brand.

The deal kicks off with the Jan. 7 "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" event in Las Vegas, so all fights (prelims and main card) from the card will be televised in some form. Additionally, the event takes place during one of Showtime's free-preview weekends, which makes the channel available for free to more than 60 million households.

As part of the announcement, officials stated that current Strikeforce fighters – including champions Gilbert Melendez, Luke Rochhold, Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos and Miesha Tate – will remain in Strikeforce. (Recently, some champions such as Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson and Alistair Overeem had been folded into the Zuffa-owned UFC.)

Full Story

Post #1   12/15/11 3:18:20PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Officials suggested that events no longer will be held under the Strikeforce Challengers brand.

My guess is because in not too long all Strikeforce fights will essentially be considered UFC Challenger fights.

Post #2   12/15/11 3:41:39PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:930-528
Chips:
The Heavyweight division will fold after the GP final and after one more fight. according to Helwani, who's been tweeting live from the conference.

Which is rather good, UFC good use the HW's from SF to strengthen their own HW division.

Post #3   12/15/11 3:49:52PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,658-951
Chips:
will this be the UFC's minor leagues?

Post #4   12/15/11 4:21:47PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I still don't get it the point of keeping it around when the major stars have left.

And now Gil is staying in SF?

I do like the HW's coming over there, need more depth there.

Post #5   12/15/11 6:17:48PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I still don't get it the point of keeping it around when the major stars have left.

And now Gil is staying in SF?

I do like the HW's coming over there, need more depth there.

I think its a way for the UFC to keep fighters from joining Bellator when they are no longer competitive enough to stay in the UFC or are not quite seasoned enough to fight there.

Bellator is becoming a bigger and bigger threat and very few that go there will ever be back in the UFC so its in Zuffa's best interest to keep them under their employment.

If guys like Tito want to keep fighting chances are it will be under the Strikeforce banner not the UFC's.

That's my opinion at least.

Post #6   12/15/11 7:37:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I wonder how many will be challenger series cards ??

Post #7   12/15/11 7:44:43PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,034-1,219
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
There's only 2 reasons I can come up with. Either, to appease Showtime, who had the option to extend the contract with Strikeforce. Or the F.T.C. investigation is really happening, and Zuffa want some more evidence (apart from W.E.C.) to support their case.

Either the F.T.C. investigation is causing UFC to keep Strikeforce around, or Showtime is keeping Strikeforce alive, or both.

Strikeforce wasn't making much profit, and cutting the H.W. division is a good way to save money. I assume this is how Zuffa will defend their decision to move the H.W.'s over...If they do.

I was really looking forward to Frankie vs. Melendez. Would've been awesome.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2011/10/competition-mixed-martial-arts.

Post #8   12/15/11 8:22:16PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
If SF signs some fighters to bolster their roster then maybe it makes sense.

I would think UFC is going to cut fighters that aren't winning instead of sending them to SF, although I would like to see some fighters stay with Zuffa instead of being cut all together.

But I also want to see some of these SF guys in the UFC.

Post #9   12/15/11 8:52:40PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

There's only 2 reasons I can come up with. Either, to appease Showtime, who had the option to extend the contract with Strikeforce. Or the F.T.C. investigation is really happening, and Zuffa want some more evidence (apart from W.E.C.) to support their case.

Either the F.T.C. investigation is causing UFC to keep Strikeforce around, or Showtime is keeping Strikeforce alive, or both.

Strikeforce wasn't making much profit, and cutting the H.W. division is a good way to save money. I assume this is how Zuffa will defend their decision to move the H.W.'s over...If they do.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2011/10/competition-mixed-martial-arts.

I think Melendez was a hell of a challenge to frankie and aldo potentially. Sad news imo when Dream is folding and they could have hyped Aoki as a trikeforce LW champ without Melendez.

Post #10   12/15/11 9:04:26PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Zuffa is Zuffa...not sure how this move has anything to do with the FTC.

Post #11   12/15/11 9:48:55PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
Feel bad for Gil as all his teammates and the other top SF fighters left.

Now after Jorge, their aren't really any contenders for him.

SF simply lacks the firepower to put on any decent cards.

Last edited 12/15/11 10:46PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   12/15/11 10:42:06PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Zuffa is Zuffa...not sure how this move has anything to do with the FTC.

Post #13   12/16/11 1:45:16PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Chips:
It has to do with the F.T.C. investigation because if they're being investigated for trying to monopolize the sport, then buying out the competition, stripping them of talent, and then shutting down shop, doesn't help their argument of fair business practices.

To Gandhikush: Dream and OneFC announced a partnership deal, and OneFC has a lot more money than K-1, and huge TV deals in Asia. Dream may make a comeback this year.

Edit: Sorry for the blank post, tried posting on my phone, didn't work. lol. Would've typed this message as an edit of last one, but It didn't appear until after I typed this. Weird.

Last edited 12/16/11 1:51PM server time by bustamante-aoki
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   12/16/11 1:50:23PM