Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Arlovski Loses Title shot...

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

www-WeLoan-us

Standup Guy

www-WeLoan-us Avatar

Career:258-161
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I was just kiddin anyways...I didnt get to really see the fight between the 2 on UFC 70, just a little bit, and it always seems the heavywieghts LATELY have been timid. I really like to watch the lightweights becasue they throwdown.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #16   5/16/07 10:02:28AM   

creed3900

Learning to Sprawl

creed3900 Avatar

Career:340-211
Camp: Brass Ball Brawlers
Chips:
I think that Arlovski did what HE had to do, but what he needs to realize, if he cares about holding the title, is that the tempo has gotten much higher in MMA and Dana wants to see exciting fights, guys who will put it all on the line like Couture and Liddell..........He's not going to set up the winner of Couture/Gonzaga for a borefest after one of the most exciting and unexpected fights of the year..............Dana's goal is to keep the tempo high and he's going to go with guys who show him they are hungry for the title..............Arlovski honestly doesn't look like the Arlovski of old, he's definitely not as hungry as he once was................

Post #17   5/16/07 10:57:57AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Menard_StC

Good.

He doesnt even remotely deserve it.

If he doesnt................ who does? Cro Cop just got dominated. Tim Sylvia hasnt fought since he got dominated. Herring hasn't been looking good. Nog has yet to fight. Kongo just came off a close win, where he showed a immense weakness on the ground.
Vera is lollygaggin around. And word is he is signed to the UFC but hasnt fought in a while.

So basically the only title shots after Gonzaga/Couture are either Arlovski or Vera. AA is comign off wins over 2 fighters very good on the ground. Vera is still undefeated, but has yeat to beat a big name.

Posted by creed3900
Arlovski honestly doesn't look like the Arlovski of old, he's definitely not as hungry as he once was................

A Werewolf is always hungry.

Last edited 5/16/07 10:59AM server time by madmarck
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   5/16/07 10:58:43AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Menard_StC

Good.

He doesnt even remotely deserve it.

If he doesnt................ who does? Cro Cop just got dominated. Tim Sylvia hasnt fought since he got dominated. Herring hasn't been looking good. Nog has yet to fight. Kongo just came off a close win, where he showed a immense weakness on the ground.
Vera is lollygaggin around. And word is he is signed to the UFC but hasnt fought in a while.

So basically the only title shots after Gonzaga/Couture are either Arlovski or Vera. AA is comign off wins over 2 fighters very good on the ground. Vera is still undefeated, but has yeat to beat a big name.

Posted by creed3900
Arlovski honestly doesn't look like the Arlovski of old, he's definitely not as hungry as he once was................

If no one deserves it then you don't have a title fight. It's rediculous to throw someone in just because there is no one else.

Post #19   5/16/07 11:09:02AM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I think it is unfair and here is why.

Yes, it is boring to watch a fight like Arlovski/Werdum but a win is a win no matter what, and setting a precedent that you have to knock an opponent out to get a title shot could lead to sloppy brawlish fighting.

That may be true, however most people would agree that you don't need a knockout, but you do need an exciting fight. I hate to beat a dead horse by repeating what many have said before but Griffin VS. Bonner is a great example of that. There was no submission or KO, but it is still considered one of the best UFC fights in history.

Post #20   5/16/07 11:49:49AM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
Arlovski won but the fight was boring. At the end of the day, winning is king. If he keeps winning, then he will get a title shot. If he didn't have such a boring fight then the title shot would come sooner.

The heavyweights just got an injection of new talent and the UFC can impose the rules that they apply to the lighter weight classes to make the title fights more exciting. Boring fighters will have to wait longer for a title shot. They want to avoid a boring fighter winning the title so they give them more opportunities to screw up. They are pitting Koscheck against GSP for the same reason.

With the UFC, the brand comes first. Boring fights hurt the brand. Just like you shouldn't leave the outcome of a fight up to the judges, you shouldn't leave questions as to the viability of you as a star in the UFC.

Post #21   5/16/07 11:53:28AM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:

what happens when the werewolf shaves his chest , starts wearing Gucci Sunglasses and looking like a Metro-sexual?

He just doesn't seem hungry anymore...

Post #22   5/16/07 12:40:45PM   

Sinatra

Learning to Sprawl

Sinatra Avatar

Career:2,109-1,365
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
It's stuff like this that will keep MMA as a fringe sport.

Arlovski beat a top 10 fighter and gets a title shot taken away because he was "boring."

That's the same as.....say, the Pistons winning a series in the playoffs, yet not moving on because they didn'y score enough points to appease the NBA.

Last edited 5/16/07 2:08PM server time by sinatra

Post #23   5/16/07 2:07:38PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sinatra

Arlovski beat a top 10 fighter and gets a title shot taken away because he was "boring."

That's the same as.....say, the Pistons winning a series in the playoffs, yet not moving on because they didn'y score enough points to appease the NBA.

The NBA isn't subjective. You can't compare it to the NBA. You can only compare it to other judged sports. Accusations that boring fighters are being punished is far better then accusations of ducking the best opponents.

Arlovski won, but was not impressive. He may have proved that he was better then Werdum, but not by much. Where as if he had won in a more decisive manner, then he may have earned a title shot. By leaving it close he proved he belongs at the bottom of the top 10 with Werdum.

When you fight like Arlovski did, you can't leap frog anyone in the UFC. He will have to beat them. Cro-Cop, Big Nog, Tim Silvia, Gabriel Gonzaga, ect. He will also have to battle people on the way up. Guys like Cheick Kongo (who I like).

Arlovski was just stalling. I hate stalling. If you want to compare it to Basketball I can try. It would be like if you score the first 2 points and just held the ball for the rest of the game. The NBA can put in place a shot clock to push the action. In the UFC it’s not that simple.

Last edited 5/16/07 3:12PM server time by szucconi

Post #24   5/16/07 3:12:00PM   

Sinatra

Learning to Sprawl

Sinatra Avatar

Career:2,109-1,365
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Sinatra

The NBA isn't subjective. You can't compare it to the NBA. You can only compare it to other judged sports. Accusations that boring fighters are being punished is far better then accusations of ducking the best opponents.

Arlovski won, but was not impressive. He may have proved that he was better then Werdum, but not by much. Where as if he had won in a more decisive manner, then he may have earned a title shot. By leaving it close he proved he belongs at the bottom of the top 10 with Werdum.

When you fight like Arlovski did, you can't leap frog anyone in the UFC. He will have to beat them. Cro-Cop, Big Nog, Tim Silvia, Gabriel Gonzaga, ect. He will also have to battle people on the way up. Guys like Cheick Kongo (who I like).

Arlovski was just stalling. I hate stalling. If you want to compare it to Basketball I can try. It would be like if you score the first 2 points and just held the ball for the rest of the game. The NBA can put in place a shot clock to push the action. In the UFC it’s not that simple.

My point was that for MMA to be considered a legit sport, the emphasis MUST be placed on winning more than being spectacular. Otherwise, it's stuff like this that will someday snowball into MMA turning into a political zoo like boxing has become

Post #25   5/16/07 3:54:28PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sinatra

My point was that for MMA to be considered a legit sport, the emphasis MUST be placed on winning more than being spectacular. Otherwise, it's stuff like this that will someday snowball into MMA turning into a political zoo like boxing has become

You are just wrong. This is not a sign of MMA turning political. In fact, boxing places the ultimate emphasis on winning. One loss and you are not the same fighter anymore. That is one of the many problems with boxing. As a result, they play it safe. They don't take risks. They don't fight people with a change to beat them. I don't want record padding to become the norm in MMA like it is in Boxing.

Arlovski was afraid to lose and that hurts the sport. Jockeying for position and sizing each other up in the first round is normal. Avoiding contact in the third round should be penalized. The great thing about MMA is he can redeem himself with a better fight (more convincing win) next time. Which he has plenty of time to do.

MMA record is only part of the picture. How you win, who you fought, and how close the fight was are all important questions.

Post #26   5/16/07 5:13:58PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Everyone's points are pretty much equally valid here, but in the end the franchise is going to do what will make them the most money and gain them the most fans, ESPECIALLY during probably the most critical developmental period for MMA as a whole.

Arlovski did what he had to to win the fight, it may not have been incredibly exciting but he was well aware that he was facing probably a top 3 fighter when it comes to submission specifically (even big nog conceded werdum was the better BJJ practitioner, although I think that's debatable when you add the ability to strike into the equation) and he knew full well that another loss to a top 10 fighter (all around) in his class would put him very far out of title contention. He listened to his coaches and used his superior striking to neutralize werdum where he knew he would be most lethal. I can't blame him for it, but you also can't really blame White for wanting fights that bring in the dollars.

With the influx of talent into the UFC HW division it shouldn't really even matter... there are some amazing fighters not holding a belt, and I'm sure that even if he won't get a shot at the belt, he'll be fighting one of them and he'll have his opportunity to show people that he's still "hungry".

Post #27   5/16/07 9:18:39PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
hes hungry for the belt. I'm guessing next fight will be explosive due to this.

Post #28   5/18/07 1:04:31PM   

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:

Posted by chentay2112

Posted by Cobbs666

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

thats BS...Arlovski sure as hell deserves this shot. He beat Werdum all the way. His coaches told him to stay back so he did that. Its not like arlovski would be able to do the same against Couture or even gonzaga. Dana is a pussy

if you really wanna see another lame ass "silvia vs arlovski 3" type match up then maybe he deserves one, maybe now he will get the point that noone wants to pay their hard earned money to see some guys dance around slapping like a couple of fags, it is his job to fight, he chose it., if i went to work and danced around all day in front of the cars im supposed to repair i would be sent home, the same should happen to him

by that philosophy anybody that has a bad day should at work be sacked .....SHIT happens both arlovski and slyvia were poor in thier recent fights and couture humiliated sylvia when they fought .... does that mean sylvia shouldent get another title fight???

Ya but if you only work like 3 or 4 times a f**king year , at least on those days you should be expected to do something, matybe one fight i could see, but lately he is boring and lifeless

and yes it does mean sylvia should not get a shot, he doesnt even try anymore, he thinks people dont cheer for him because of his size, well its not that , its beacuse of the way he fights, i was a huge sylvia fan back when he first came in (even though he was on roids) but he could sure put on a good fight

Last edited 5/24/07 7:37PM server time by cobbs666

Post #29   5/24/07 7:34:03PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Cobbs666

Posted by chentay2112

Posted by Cobbs666

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

thats BS...Arlovski sure as hell deserves this shot. He beat Werdum all the way. His coaches told him to stay back so he did that. Its not like arlovski would be able to do the same against Couture or even gonzaga. Dana is a pussy

if you really wanna see another lame ass "silvia vs arlovski 3" type match up then maybe he deserves one, maybe now he will get the point that noone wants to pay their hard earned money to see some guys dance around slapping like a couple of fags, it is his job to fight, he chose it., if i went to work and danced around all day in front of the cars im supposed to repair i would be sent home, the same should happen to him

by that philosophy anybody that has a bad day should at work be sacked .....SHIT happens both arlovski and slyvia were poor in thier recent fights and couture humiliated sylvia when they fought .... does that mean sylvia shouldent get another title fight???

Ya but if you only work like 3 or 4 times a f**king year , at least on those days you should be expected to do something, matybe one fight i could see, but lately he is boring and lifeless

and yes it does mean sylvia should not get a shot, he doesnt even try anymore, he thinks people dont cheer for him because of his size, well its not that , its beacuse of the way he fights, i was a huge sylvia fan back when he first came in (even though he was on roids) but he could sure put on a good fight

its not like they only work 3 or 4 times a year, there is a ton of time spent training and doing promos for ufc along with coaching and many other things. dont make it sound like the only work day these guys have is fight night

Post #30   5/25/07 10:19:22AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2