Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Boxer Tommy Morrison To Step In The Cage

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
The boxing vs. mixed martial arts debate is nearing a full-blown frenzy of late. Former heavyweight contender Tommy “The Duke” Morrison is the latest to enter the fray, but he has actually signed on the dotted line to back up his talk.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/15/07 5:21:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think he likes the idea of being the first to make the crossover...it'll put him in the spotlight more than any to follow.

It sounded like he to took offense to Chuck wanting to fight him. I don't think Chuck woud've of even mentioned his name, if it wasn't for the doped up state he was in...either way, he should take it as a compliment more than anthing.

Whatever the reason, should be interesting.

Post #2   5/15/07 8:49:23PM   

chentay2112

MMA Regular

chentay2112 Avatar

Career:63-46
Camp: We're #1
Chips:
i can see why he took offense if chuck named him... he's ready to go so after chuck's next title defense lets see if he and dana step up and back up their words

Post #3   5/15/07 9:35:16PM   

mayweatherjr1

Learning to Sprawl

mayweatherjr1 Avatar

Career:14-11
Chips:
he can't beat chuck for christ sakes.....chuck will just take him down if he was smart and gnp...I am so sick of the mma is better...no boxing is better...dana white says boxers won't do well??? NO SHIT DANA...mma wouldn't do well against this guy in the boxing ring either...floyd mayweather jr....it is a stupid argument

Last edited 5/15/07 9:42PM server time by mayweatherjr1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   5/15/07 9:41:16PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
the tommy morrison that beat george foreman would of beat the shit out of chuck liddell in a striking match

the tommy that fought john castle is another story though hahahaha

Post #5   5/16/07 3:29:50AM   

otacon279

MMA Regular

otacon279 Avatar

Career:669-401
Chips:
mma > boxing

Post #6   5/16/07 10:10:47AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

the tommy morrison that beat george foreman would of beat the shit out of chuck liddell in a striking match

the tommy that fought john castle is another story though hahahaha

Striking? I hope you mean boxing...you are forgetting that Chuck is a kickboxer. If he played it straight, he could still stand with him and win. Haven't you seen Butterbean in K-1? What a joke that was.

Post #7   5/16/07 1:04:12PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Chips:
okay butterbean and tommy morrison were two different fighters

butterbean was a strong man champ, he went and boxed guys in bars and shit and when he fought a out of shape larry holmes he was destroyed

and im not saying that tommy morrison would outstrike chuck liddell

i said in his prime he would mess up liddell in a striking match

thats just what i think though

Post #8   5/17/07 2:11:19AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

HUH?! he wouldnt outstrike chuck but he would be better at striking?

kickboxing is superior to boxing....always has, always will......

Post #9   5/17/07 3:05:09AM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:
Stover doesn't really have enough wins, or wins against tough enough fighters to really get a sense of where he is skill and conditioning wise. Morrison is a well conditioned athlete and does have very good hands. If he can learn and stick with the sprawl and brawl tactic I think he can take out Stover. Stover is low on the totem pole as far as fighters go though, and you can't even begin to make any comparison between him and Chuck. Morrison might want to get quite a few wins under his belt before he tries fighting Chuck.

Post #10   5/17/07 3:36:10PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

butterbean was a strong man champ, he went and boxed guys in bars and shit and when he fought a out of shape larry holmes he was destroyed

I wasn't attempting to make a comparison between the fighters, but rather the transition between disciplines.

The point was...before Butterbean could even get a punch in, his leg was beat to a pulp...just one example of many kickboxer strategies that can dominate a boxer. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Post #11   5/17/07 5:47:56PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

HUH?! he wouldnt outstrike chuck but he would be better at striking?

kickboxing is superior to boxing....always has, always will......

okay let me explain it for you since you seem a little slow

tommy morrison would get murdered by chuck liddell in present day, he doesnt have the hand speed the chin or coordination he used to and liddell is in his prime minus the fact hes in his late 30's

the tommy morrison in his prime i think would **** up liddell in a striking match, he might not win but he definately would be the toughest striker liddell ever faced

Post #12   5/19/07 2:32:18AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I wasn't attempting to make a comparison between the fighters, but rather the transition between disciplines.

The point was...before Butterbean could even get a punch in, his leg was beat to a pulp...just one example of many kickboxer strategies that can dominate a boxer. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

well i hear what you are saying, but comparing an in prime tommy morrison to butterbean in sense of boxing is similar to comparing randy coutore against some guy who wrestled state in high school 20 years ago

when butterbean started in mma, he was somehow more out of shape then when he was (the 3 round fight king)

Last edited 5/19/07 2:38AM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/19/07 2:38:28AM   

-Virus-

MMA Regular

-Virus- Avatar

Career:90-56
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Hope he does good in mma

Cheers!

Post #14   5/19/07 2:42:09AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

well i hear what you are saying, but comparing an in prime tommy morrison to butterbean in sense of boxing is similar to comparing randy coutore against some guy who wrestled state in high school 20 years ago

when butterbean started in mma, he was somehow more out of shape then when he was (the 3 round fight king)

Did you even bother to read what I typed...or did you just disregard it. Also, I wasn't even referring to his MMA fights. I was making reference to the K-1...the MMA was an even bigger joke. Point being (even if he was out of shape), kickboxers were able to keep the distance and Butterbean was hard pressed to just get a single punch in. Again, just an example of how a smart kickboxer can neutralize a boxer...no comparison of ability is being made between Morrison and Butterbean.

Post #15   5/22/07 7:24:35AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2