Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Told to Check on Lyoto Machida Post-Fight to 'Get Some Fans'

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Jon Jones may be the best fighter in the world, but he still has a bit of an image problem. He's seen as having a very carefully manufactured public image. Some people have an issue with that image as being "phony" while others have taken issue with Jones as being "cocky." This has led to situations like the UFC 140 weigh-in where Jones was booed loudly by the crowd in attendance.

Cocky doesn't bother me at all, I expect the best in the world at anything to be cocky. But I have written in the past that I don't care for some of how he comes across so carefully managed in public. It's a personal thing and everyone is going to see different athletes through different lenses

There's a video circulating now from the aftermath of 140 where, after choking Lyoto Machida unconscious, Jones is told by Greg Jackson to check on Machida for the purpose of "getting some fans."

VIDEO AFTER LINK

LINK

Post #1   12/11/11 1:03:42PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:
Jones is my least favorite champion.

Post #2   12/11/11 1:13:15PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Chips:
I have to admit to really cooling on the guy and not being a fan of his apparent personality change, but this isn't his fault and I can't blame him for something Jackson said. Jackson's doing his job by trying to make Jones look good so I can't be mad at him either. I will say that my first reaction to hearing it is, "Wow, you really need someone to tell you to do every little thing?" but it's not the hugest deal to me. Something about it doesn't sit quite right though.

Post #3   12/11/11 1:17:01PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Jon Jones may be the best fighter in the world, but he still has a bit of an image problem. He's seen as having a very carefully manufactured public image. Some people have an issue with that image as being "phony" while others have taken issue with Jones as being "cocky." This has led to situations like the UFC 140 weigh-in where Jones was booed loudly by the crowd in attendance.

Cocky doesn't bother me at all, I expect the best in the world at anything to be cocky. But I have written in the past that I don't care for some of how he comes across so carefully managed in public. It's a personal thing and everyone is going to see different athletes through different lenses

There's a video circulating now from the aftermath of 140 where, after choking Lyoto Machida unconscious, Jones is told by Greg Jackson to check on Machida for the purpose of "getting some fans."

VIDEO AFTER LINK

LINK

I don't want to wish ill will for another person but someone really needs to beat this kid. I can't quite explain why I hate this kid and if I was to try, I would be breaking the site rules.

The way he held onto Machida while knowing Machida was out - and the fact he made no attempt to warn the ref of the dangerous situation - and the fact he dropped Machida while knowing Machida was out. The dropping of Machida was a collaborative effort by Jones and the ref. Both of them fail to do the humane thing which is hold on to Machida.

During the post interview, Jones admitted to Rogan he knew Machida was out but he made no attempt to warn the ref of the danger.

Somebody, beat this kid please. He is arrogant and disrespectful - two of the worsts attributes in any sport or celebrity figures.

Post #4   12/11/11 1:23:59PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:
The reason this bothers me is because it's just plain common courtesy to check on your opponent. Especially when you've left him an unconscious lump on the canvas. I look at Jones and I don't think checking on his opponent would have even crossed his mind if Jackson hadn't said anything. I know it's a great win but seriously.

Post #5   12/11/11 1:51:32PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I actually don't mind Jones. He seems like a smart, well spoken person. Sure he's a bit cocky, but he can back it up.

It's the ref's job to stop the fight, not the fighter to tell the ref the guy is out. I don't think it would have made a difference in the timing of stopping the fight, if Jones told the ref or not.

I did not like how he just dropped Machida. I felt that was disrespectful. Tough to say what was going through Jones mind though. Some guys are so pumped after a win, their adrenaline takes over.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   12/11/11 1:56:43PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Checking on him won't make me a fan.

Plus the doctors need to check him out, so I wouldn't worry about going to check on him. There's time to do that after your out of the cage, although I guess people won't see that.

Also not a fan of greg jackson either. Seems like a weird thing to say, they should be a fan of your fighting.

Post #7   12/11/11 2:10:13PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

VIDEO AFTER LINK

LINK

I don't want to wish ill will for another person but someone really needs to beat this kid. I can't quite explain why I hate this kid and if I was to try, I would be breaking the site rules.

The way he held onto Machida while knowing Machida was out - and the fact he made no attempt to warn the ref of the dangerous situation - and the fact he dropped Machida while knowing Machida was out. The dropping of Machida was a collaborative effort by Jones and the ref. Both of them fail to do the humane thing which is hold on to Machida.

During the post interview, Jones admitted to Rogan he knew Machida was out but he made no attempt to warn the ref of the danger.

Somebody, beat this kid please. He is arrogant and disrespectful - two of the worsts attributes in any sport or celebrity figures.

I don't know man. If you don't like watching passed-out dudes collapse into a pile, this sport might not be for you. There was nothing wrong with what Jones did. He held the sub until the ref told him to stop and then he let go. That was exactly what he was supposed to do. You are not supposed to tell the ref that your opponent is out, that's the ref's job. How many bogus stoppages have we seen where the guy applying the choke says his opponent is out when he isn't. If Machida doesn't want to fall to the ground, then he should have tapped. But it is hardly Jones' responsibility to lay him down softly, fluff his pillow, and kiss him goodnight.

Post #8   12/11/11 2:13:38PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

VIDEO AFTER LINK

LINK

I don't know man. If you don't like watching passed-out dudes collapse into a pile, this sport might not be for you. There was nothing wrong with what Jones did. He held the sub until the ref told him to stop and then he let go. That was exactly what he was supposed to do. You are not supposed to tell the ref that your opponent is out, that's the ref's job. How many bogus stoppages have we seen where the guy applying the choke says his opponent is out when he isn't. If Machida doesn't want to fall to the ground, then he should have tapped. But it is hardly Jones' responsibility to lay him down softly, fluff his pillow, and kiss him goodnight

couldnt have said it better Jones did nothing wrong stop hating.

Post #9   12/11/11 2:56:32PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

VIDEO AFTER LINK

LINK

Machida was out for like 2 seconds at most before the ref stepped in, it's not like Jones pulled a Babalu and held a choke long after he should've released it, or that Machida was in any kind of danger, it was a standard submission where the guy doesn't tap. I find it interesting that you're upset that they didn't hold Machida after he passed out while there was another guy on the card who had his arm snapped like a twig, was Mir doing the wrong thing by breaking Nog's arm? A kimura is far more likely to do serious damage to a fighter, I would far rather be put to sleep and fall over than potentially have my shoulder or elbow joints destroyed or receive broken bones. That's what happens if you don't tap, it's not the other fighter's job to take care of you.

Machida decided not to tap, so he went to sleep. The ref saw it happened and stopped the fight, Jones let go of the submission when the referee told him to, everyone did their job exactly as they should have. The worst thing that could've happened here would maybe be Machida falling on his face and breaking his nose or something, and if it were anyone's fault it would be Machida for not tapping.

Post #10   12/11/11 2:57:23PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Im not even a Jones fan but this is ridiculous. Give it up guys, this guy is THAT damn good and stop hating on the guy, give him his respect.

Post #11   12/11/11 3:32:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I don't know man. If you don't like watching passed-out dudes collapse into a pile, this sport might not be for you. There was nothing wrong with what Jones did. He held the sub until the ref told him to stop and then he let go. That was exactly what he was supposed to do. You are not supposed to tell the ref that your opponent is out, that's the ref's job. How many bogus stoppages have we seen where the guy applying the choke says his opponent is out when he isn't. If Machida doesn't want to fall to the ground, then he should have tapped. But it is hardly Jones' responsibility to lay him down softly, fluff his pillow, and kiss him goodnight.

Not to mention, refs talk to the fighters in the locker room prior to fighting. It's non uncommon for refs to specifically tell fighters not to tell them things like this. I'd say BJM is very possible one of those refs...he is very thorough with the fighters. Also, any ref worth his weight in lima beans reacts with his training and not words from someone with a possible agenda.

Post #12   12/11/11 4:06:05PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Im not even a Jones fan but this is ridiculous. Give it up guys, this guy is THAT damn good and stop hating on the guy, give him his respect.

Agreed. The only difference is I am a fan of Bones Jones. BECAUSE I am a fan of MMA. & Bones Jones puts on an MMA spectacle every time he fights! Sure hes confident but why wouldnt he be? He makes veterans look like rookies & hes only 24!!! We got a serious light-heavyweight champ on our hands & hes obviously here to stay so get use to it.

Post #13   12/11/11 4:19:41PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

VIDEO AFTER LINK

LINK

You are correct. There is nothing wrong with what Jones did in the cage. It is not his responsibility to ensure the safety of his opponent. With regard to what we are talking about, Jones did nothing wrong but he did nothing honorable either. It takes a special kind of fighter to want to protect his opponent from a serious injury and or fate.

I have seen many fighters who exhibit good morals and ethics who have refrained from delivering unnecessary punishment to his opponents. I have seen victorious fighters who have expressed concerns for their opponents. I don't expect Jon Jones to be those type of fighters. Those fighters exhibit heart, good sportsmanship, humanity, and good will, all of which Jon Jones does not have.

No one here is arguing Jones did something wrong. My hatred for the young lad is fueled by his personality and post fight behavior. If Machida had died in the octagon that night, I don't think we would be arguing today. But just because Machida is OK, that does not excuse Jones from his poor sportsmanship which is what we are talking about... You say his sportsmanship is OK or at least you implied it - I say it reeks like the smell of death.

No one is stopping you from not liking Jones. Just don't get all bent out of shape when someone like me expresses his hate for him.

Furthermore, from a guy who once told me he would risk his life to save mine regardless if I am his friend or not, this post I am quoting from him does not reflect it. He is either lying now or lying then.... Which one is it?

Post #14   12/11/11 7:25:09PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Wallass

There is no denying Jones is a great fighter. He has demolished some of the best fighters in the world but that is not what we are arguing. His credit is due and rightfully earned as a fighter but the person behind the fighter is questionable which is why there are those like me who hate him.

Post #15   12/11/11 7:40:07PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3