Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fighters Not Tapping

Print  
Posted By Message

timothyera

Learning to Sprawl

timothyera Avatar

Career:235-187
Chips:
The dictionary defines submission as the acknowledgement of the legitimacy of the power of one's superior or superiors. Anyone else think that when a fighter refuses to tap out or give up the result should be considered a TKO? What I mean is they did not "submit" to their opponent, they did not give up. They did not "acknowledge" that the other fighter is better, even though that is the case. I know a TKO is a technical "knock out", but I was watching 300 the other day and when King Leonidas says "submission, now thats a bit of a problem", it got me thinking. I would not want the record to show that I submitted to another person when I only passed out. I know this will never change but does anyone else feel the same way?

Post #1   12/10/11 3:35:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If it's recorded properly, it should say technical submission.

Post #2   12/10/11 3:41:49PM   

timothyera

Learning to Sprawl

timothyera Avatar

Career:235-187
Chips:
Yeah your right that makes sense. Guess that slipped my mind. I remember Tom Lawlor not tapping out in his last fight and it does say technical submission on his record at sherdog. Thanks!

Post #3   12/10/11 4:55:06PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Perfect topic for tonights bone breaking result.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   12/10/11 11:42:54PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:

Posted by timothyera

The dictionary defines submission as the acknowledgement of the legitimacy of the power of one's superior or superiors. Anyone else think that when a fighter refuses to tap out or give up the result should be considered a TKO? What I mean is they did not "submit" to their opponent, they did not give up. They did not "acknowledge" that the other fighter is better, even though that is the case. I know a TKO is a technical "knock out", but I was watching 300 the other day and when King Leonidas says "submission, now thats a bit of a problem", it got me thinking. I would not want the record to show that I submitted to another person when I only passed out. I know this will never change but does anyone else feel the same way?

If someone cares about whats written on paper enough to be bothered by it, chances are the fighter isn't focused or a good fighter anyways.

Post #5   12/11/11 12:08:25AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Technically you might have a point.

But in MMA, a "submission" is a particular hold. Its simply better for recording keeping purposes because it shows if it was a "submission HOLD" or if it was due to strikes. Regardless of whether or not they tap.

Post #6   12/11/11 2:33:40AM   

poppa_gump

Learning to Sprawl

poppa_gump Avatar

Career:1,102-635
Camp: Nuthin But The Best
Chips:
I fully agree that it should be known as a (tech) submission so that when guys like Joe Rogan mention their records that it is know as that and not a TKO.

Post #7   12/12/11 4:37:14PM